Options

Holiday card photo

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 7, 2004 in People
This is always a little tramautic in our family. Three years ago, we had a professional studio picture. That was great, but of course, I'd like to be the photographer. Last year, it was sort of a meltdown, so I made a montage of one shot for each of our three children. This year, I really wanted to do better. So the last evening we were all together in Nantucket, I got everyone up on the roof with tripod and friend to act as remote control shutter. Daughter and #2 son were in difficult moods. Daughter said she wasn't looking her best and #2 son kept making peace signs in front of his face. But I managed to get everyone up on the roof before it got too dark. Once I got rid of the peace signs and other non-starters, I was left with this. OK, so she's sticking out her tounge. Fine, that was her choice. I guess I have a credible threat. Everyone poses nicely or I'll use this one. I don't hink I'll get as good a setting as this one for a second try but I could try.

10867409-L.jpg
If not now, when?

What should I do? 15 votes

Use this image, she stuck out her tounge, she gets what she deserves
73% 11 votes
Try to reshoot, probably with a less attractive setting
26% 4 votes
Call in the professional
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    Whatever you decide to do - you have a beautiful family!!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 4, 2004
    rutt, your kids are all grown up. Holy cow!

Nice to "see" you again :D

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    Nice photo, Rutt. I am not going to vote, but I will tell you what I would do, but only if I wanted to. I would try a reshoot, if time allowed, and if it was convenient, maybe Thanksgiving, or something.

Our film is free. If someone wants to make peace signs, rabbit ears, stick out their tongues, whatever, I would photograph it. And keep photographing it. Eventually you will probably get one where everyone is just laughing.........or one where everyone is cutting up. Or both.

Then you will have all these photos to choose from, and you will not wonder.

Just a suggestion. You do have a great looking family. That is a wonderful setting. Whatever format you use, you will always have that photo.

Others are only interested in the people. I would not call in a professional. I am married to one. HAHA. I just wouldn't, you would not feel the same, and people are interested in you all, not a pro's idea of a standard sitting.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    This is always a little tramautic in our family. Three years ago, we had a professional studio picture. That was great, but of course, I'd like to be the photographer. Last year, it was sort of a meltdown, so I made a montage of one shot for each of our three children. This year, I really wanted to do better. So the last evening we were all together in Nantucket, I got everyone up on the roof with tripod and friend to act as remote control shutter. Daughter and #2 son were in difficult moods. Daughter said she wasn't looking her best and #2 son kept making peace signs in front of his face. But I managed to get everyone up on the roof before it got too dark. Once I got rid of the peace signs and other non-starters, I was left with this. OK, so she's sticking out her tounge. Fine, that was her choice. I guess I have a credible threat. Everyone poses nicely or I'll use this one. I don't hink I'll get as good a setting as this one for a second try but I could try.

10867409-L.jpg
    hmmm Rutt you are throwing down the gauntlett.. I think you can fix this... Do you have another shot of your daughter? any shot with lips???? if not.. leave it as it is... it's how it is after all:D and p.s. DO NOT call in the professionals... you are great "people" photographer...
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    Rutt you don't need the pros so to speak. I am going to vote on this and give you my opinion. I say use it as it is. That way in the future they will all cooperate better cause they know you really will do it. Plus I am, as my ex-gf named me, a "deviant one". So I like photographs that show a bit of attitude and that life is real and not all "OMG life is great we are great the world is great everything is great" sitcom crap.

P.S. if anything I would crop out that purse. It just bugs me but thats just my opinion.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    hmmm Rutt you are throwing down the gauntlett.. I think you can fix this... Do you have another shot of your daughter? any shot with lips???? i
    Oh, that's a wonderful idea! But I'll do you one better. Take the lips from #2
    son and paste them on the daughter. Then show them :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2004
    I wouldn't show them, I would play up to them. I do it to relax the people involved, but often the crazy photos are the best.

Why try teaching them a lesson, it is a lot of work. Smile, and we all know how I feel about that (work). Don't upset Silly Bird, he is accompanying me now.

ginger:D

OK, I have looked all over smugmug, can't find the group shots with the rabbit ears and stuff. But I did find a kid. I was humoring her by taking her photo as she hammed it up. I don't know where the more sedate "professional" looking photo is. I trashed it and kept the ham.

3329790-S-1.jpg

Try it, waste film............ they will calm down eventually, and you can get a more sedate shot. But don't delete the first shots, look at all of them. You might be surprised with the personality of your whole family shining through.

g (The one thing you don't want to let them do is leave.........that would ruin things, so humor them. And ask them what they think, if it is digital, they can see the LCD thing, too.) Just some suggestions, even little kids love the LCD thing and the idea of being a part of something, in charge instead of being told what to do all the time. You can get both kinds of shots. Use a white background, or anything, and you can put the group anywhere you want using ps, really good practice at blending every pixel.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2004
    Or you could take a piece of duct tape, size it, and paste it on her mouth.

Silly Bird likes that idea!
  • Options
    DVDRDVDR Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:

10867409-L.jpg
    If the "tongue" fits her personality...humorously I'd use it. Kinda like an inside joke, if people would "get it" if not...take another. Or may insert a "block" of some kind over her face saying "Picture unavailable"headscratch.gif
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    DVDR wrote:
    If the "tongue" fits her personality...humorously I'd use it. Kinda like an inside joke, if people would "get it" if not...take another. Or may insert a "block" of some kind over her face saying "Picture unavailable"headscratch.gif

Rutt,
    I like the picture. It seems to show the personality of each member of the family. Reminds me of my kids as teenagers. If you decide not to use this one, be sure to print one up for the family album. The kids will enjoy it later on. If it were me (the now me) I would use it. The me of the past would have wanted it more "perfect". :D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2004
    I didn't want to prejudice the poll results, but I like Ginger's plan. I'll try to reshoot at Thanksgiving, but no pressure. This shot has gown on me and she stuck out her tounge, she deserves what she gets.

Thanks for all the good input!
    If not now, when?