Whiff!

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited June 5, 2006 in Sports
Georgia Tech is hosting an NCAA regional baseball tournament. I went down yesterday to shoot baseball for the first time.

Bright sun, so the conditions weren't the best. I learned a lot, tho. You'll see the mistakes here. :lol3

300mm is not much reach, even when you're right beside a dugout. Even at f2.8, you don't get great bokeh on batters or pitchers. So, watch your backgrounds! Which means moving around a bit and sacrificing length for background: just crop like heck once you get the shot.

I played with different kinds of focus. I used a bit of AI Servo, prolly shoulda used more. I used "all focus points", but the camera took too much time thinking for that option to work. I used center point, and I used selective points. If I'd been using the 5D, I'd have used manual focus a lot. But on the 1DmkII, I just can't tell if I'm sharp or not. My setups worked for the scene I was going for, but did not allow me to follow the ensuing action. So I'd get the batter, but couldn't follow the runner to first for the throw, or the play at second. I'm curious what focus option the pros use.

Also, I was careless. I shot in Aperature Priority. My shutter speed was plenty high early in the shoot. But as the day went on, the shutter speed dropped, I didn't notice it, and I got blur where I wasn't expecting it. Not necessarily a bad thing, but since I wasn't controling it, that goes down as an error.

Since the sunlight was direct, I had to accept that the whites would get blown out.

Anyway, a few shots. Starting with, spot the ball!

73359086-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    This is the University of Michigan pitcher. I believe he threw a complete game. Michigan beat Stetson 11-1.

This image is a combination of 4 different exposures in RAW, mostly to get some detail on his face and chest.

73373960-L.jpg

And this is one of many Stetson pitchers to take a beating. This is only 2 RAW exposures. I prolly should do more to lighten the shadow on his face.

73363788-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited June 4, 2006
    This is a good example of the blur I was talking about. Not much is sharp here, except maybe the pinstriping on his pants. I guess the motion part of it works. Sure wish it had been intentional, tho. lol3.gif

73357283-L.jpg

And here's another unintentional motion blur. At least, by this time, I'd figured out that I needed a cleaner, simpler background.

73366483-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    Very good. Even with something to correct...
    One must do it to understand the difficulty of such a work.
    I've never tryied this kind of pictures ... Yet !

thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited June 5, 2006
    thumb.gif Thanks Antonio. I agree, the only way to learn is by doing. nod.gif
    Sid.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 5, 2006
    Ya done good Sid clap.gif

Busy BGs are a sports shooter's bugaboo :uhoh I think you handled these fairly well.

As you point out, you learned a lot and thanks for passing that info on to the rest of us thumb.gif

Steve

You got some really nice facial expressions too :D
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited June 5, 2006
    Ya done good Sid clap.gif

Busy BGs are a sports shooter's bugaboo :uhoh I think you handled these fairly well.

As you point out, you learned a lot and thanks for passing that info on to the rest of us thumb.gif

Steve

You got some really nice facial expressions too :D
    Thanks Steve! Golfers could take a lesson from those darned batters. They're so good at keeping their heads down and still through their stroke... that you never see their faces! :bluduh
    Sid.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    For a first time ... mmmhhh ... not too bad. You followed the first rule of sports photography ... if they play with a ball ... gotta have it in the shot. I found a 300 just fine for shooting from the dugout along first or third (but all depends of the ball park). So where are the plays at second ... the sliding runner and the jumping shortstop?
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited June 5, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    For a first time ... mmmhhh ... not too bad. You followed the first rule of sports photography ... if they play with a ball ... gotta have it in the shot. I found a 300 just fine for shooting from the dugout along first or third (but all depends of the ball park). So where are the plays at second ... the sliding runner and the jumping shortstop?

Here. :bluduh

73603385-L.jpg

There weren't a lot of plays at second. In a blowout, neither team is inclined to steal. And I blew my only two opportunities.

On this one, I prefocused on second base, then switched to manual focus. Didn't work, not exactly sure what I did wrong.
    Sid.
    edited June 5, 2006
    Sorry I asked (lol). I find that shooting sports really refines and hones the mechanical end of taking photos. Gotta think fast, react fast and get to know you equipment really well. So when is the next game?
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited June 5, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Sorry I asked (lol). I find that shooting sports really refines and hones the mechanical end of taking photos. Gotta think fast, react fast and get to know you equipment really well. So when is the next game?
    Yes, I agree.

Next week. :D

I need to practice my reactions. After reading your posts, one goal next weekend is to capture decent shots at both ends of a play. Plus a second base shot, a bat-on-ball against a clean background, and I'd like a shot of the ball on the pitcher's fingertips, just leaving his hand.

Thanks for the feedback. As I said elsewhere, I love your galleries, I studied your framing and could learn a lot about how you frame the point of interest.
    Sid.
    edited June 5, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Yes, I agree.

Next week. :D

I need to practice my reactions. After reading your posts, one goal next weekend is to capture decent shots at both ends of a play. Plus a second base shot, a bat-on-ball against a clean background, and I'd like a shot of the ball on the pitcher's fingertips, just leaving his hand.

Thanks for the feedback. As I said elsewhere, I love your galleries, I studied your framing and could learn a lot about how you frame the point of interest.

Thanks ... I appreciate your kind words. Your next BB post ... PM me so I don't miss it.
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited June 5, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Thanks ... I appreciate your kind words. Your next BB post ... PM me so I don't miss it.
    thumb.gif
    Sid.