Options

Contest 66 My mess in progress...

NightwingNightwing Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited June 5, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello.

Trying to figure out an entry for 66. Will welcom any comment except for sell the camera!

Have a few ideas...

A Patch of light and grass.
72182199-M.jpg

Traveling Patches. [A]
72169078-M.jpg

Traveling Patches.
72182182-M.jpg

A Sea of Plastic.
73233631-M.jpg

One item... Thinking of a Sepia cast on the Traveling Patches shot.

Comments

• Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    I like 1 & 3... so, here are some ideas of improvement & general comments:

The first is your strongest shot imo. Improvement: getting that leaf all the way into the light. General comment: Tough match for the theme. I like the patch of grass idea but am not sure you have enough grass to qualify as a patch. Also, the leaf is overpowering and, thus, appears as the main subject, which further relegates the grass to non-patchdom. Compositionally, it is tough to reconcile the grass and leaf b/c the grass is resting on the line/crease in the concrete. The distinct shadow is captivating, but again does not help the composition, in my mind.

The third is the best for the competition. Improvement: get some of the clutter out. The map is a great background idea and the hat with patches, matches the theme perfectly, so let these two items be the shot. Play with the angle of the map and pay attention to the creases to help create some dynamic. Consider leaving the "Tour" map because it adds context, but experiment with positioning (not bad as is, but I would move the hat out of dead center, so the "Tour" map might need moving too). General Comment: Sepia? Give it a try, but I don't see why it's needed. Get the setup improved. Then look at the composition and see what you want to emphasize... the filter you apply, sepia or otherwise, should be used to empasize/create greater dynamic between subject & background. Sepia can add a nice feel too, but know what feel you are going for.

Hope something here helps.

regards,
    Rich
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    I like 1 & 3... so, here are some ideas of improvement & general comments:

The first is your strongest shot imo. Improvement: getting that leaf all the way into the light. General comment: Tough match for the theme. I like the patch of grass idea but am not sure you have enough grass to qualify as a patch. Also, the leaf is overpowering and, thus, appears as the main subject, which further relegates the grass to non-patchdom. Compositionally, it is tough to reconcile the grass and leaf b/c the grass is resting on the line/crease in the concrete. The distinct shadow is captivating, but again does not help the composition, in my mind.

The third is the best for the competition. Improvement: get some of the clutter out. The map is a great background idea and the hat with patches, matches the theme perfectly, so let these two items be the shot. Play with the angle of the map and pay attention to the creases to help create some dynamic. Consider leaving the "Tour" map because it adds context, but experiment with positioning (not bad as is, but I would move the hat out of dead center, so the "Tour" map might need moving too). General Comment: Sepia? Give it a try, but I don't see why it's needed. Get the setup improved. Then look at the composition and see what you want to emphasize... the filter you apply, sepia or otherwise, should be used to empasize/create greater dynamic between subject & background. Sepia can add a nice feel too, but know what feel you are going for.

Hope something here helps.

regards,
    Rich

Tnks! Will give them all a shot!

Felt the Traveling Patch was a bit cluttered.
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Nightwing wrote:
    Tnks! Will give them all a shot!

Felt the Traveling Patch was a bit cluttered.
    Good ideas Rich, the sepia "old" idea is a winner! I like the second hat one too. I'd crop the both a little of each side and use a little contrast after the sepia effect.

Don't know if you have PSP 9 or 10 Nightwing, but the "Clarify" effect is awesome for B/Ws and sepias.

Would be great for your keyboard too, Rich. It just makes everything pop with 3 dimension.
  • Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    I like the first one best......but I would just call it a patch of light or something like that to put the focus on the obvious patch of light, instead of on the little bit of grass............I think #1 is perfect as is with the right name :Dclap.gifclapclap.gifthumb
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2006
    Cant work on them untill Wed. But love all of the sugestion! clap.gif

Have PS 6 PE 2 & 3 and PS CS2.
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    #1 is a wonderful shot and I agree the strongest.

The others are a good concept - but do not stand up to #1. IMHO