Challenge 66 - Patch Collection

lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
edited June 10, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
How about...

Comments

• Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Strong law enforcement theme going here... kinda nerve-wracking to stare down DEA, NARC, DOJ, etc. And then there's something about Green Air?

Nothing I can see 'wrong' with the shot, but I'd be interested to see some different layouts and a stronger 'message' to go with. Something tells me this could wind up a nomination worthy photo, but as is especially apparent by the last challenge, having a 'catch' is the real key to piling up votes/admiration. I don't see the hook here.

Keep in mind, there are likely going to be a handful of 'patch' photos with literal patches, so arrangement/message/hook is going to be important for differentiating your shot. (And, in the spirit of general improvement, creating one's own style is about establishing a method of hooking the viewer.)

all the best,
    LeDude
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    Strong law enforcement theme going here... kinda nerve-wracking to stare down DEA, NARC, DOJ, etc. And then there's something about Green Air?

Nothing I can see 'wrong' with the shot, but I'd be interested to see some different layouts and a stronger 'message' to go with. Something tells me this could wind up a nomination worthy photo, but as is especially apparent by the last challenge, having a 'catch' is the real key to piling up votes/admiration. I don't see the hook here.

Keep in mind, there are likely going to be a handful of 'patch' photos with literal patches, so arrangement/message/hook is going to be important for differentiating your shot. (And, in the spirit of general improvement, creating one's own style is about establishing a method of hooking the viewer.)

all the best,
    LeDude
    Yeah, like a smoking gun with it....eek7.gif lol, just kidding
    :):
    I agree, maybe in Black and white as well?
    Did you try the smugmug choice options for each photo [called Color effects]
    in the drop down window of each photo? You can try it too in different effects. Just duplicate it first so you don't lose the original, and try a B/W or sepia on the second one.
  • Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    I love it, but I think I would crop off the fuzzy patches in the foreground......other than that..I LOVE it :Dclap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    great idea nad executed wonderfuly. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2006
    another idea...
    I am considering dropping the DEA patch idea and going with something different. Not sure yet...
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    wow... ladybug's patch is stunning

i'd say it's a keeper, the colours are phenomenal. but, get that bug in focus damnit! not trying to be harsh, i just think you've got a real shot at a winner if you do. wow again... that's really impressive and original... i'd be shocked if i don't get some 'i agrees' on this call, but i've been wrong before ne_nau.gif

anyway, in my humble opinion thumb.gifclap

[edit: on second thought, i see why there's some fuzz on the bug, and it's only partial... maybe leave it as is??]
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    The white on the upper right side looks in focus while the rest of the BG is not - post process?

Also the white under the front of the lady bug is distracting.
    I like the shot - but not sure where the patches are? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    wow... ladybug's patch is stunning

i'd be shocked if i don't get some 'i agrees' on this call, but i've been wrong before ne_nau.gif

Here's your first "I agree!"

But I keep feeling like the bug is going to topple over... I looked at it rotated both 90 degrees counterclockwise and 180 degrees and they felt "more comfortable" to me. And it looked like the bug was coming at me rather than falling off the flower....

Just my 2 cents... for what it's worth..

Denise
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2006
    few more...
    I went back to my original photo and changed it to black ans white...
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2006
    but then
    but I want to do something different because the "patches" have alread been done/submitted...

I call this "Center Patch"
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2006
    and then....
    on the last one - the DOF is intentional.

i went back to the ladybug...