Trickling down gallery keywords

mcgilmcgil Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited June 5, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi,
I'm a newbie, been here a week and did not cancel the free trial, so I'm in :))

I have a question regarding the photo keywords (tags), I love them and how they're being surfaced on the homepage... however I would like to know if the gallery keywords are being surfaced anywhere the same way ?

From this help page [http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags], it says that gallery titles and photo captions are not used as keywords ... but what about gallery keywords ???

For example I have a gallery called Europe, and I'd like to have each photo tagged with Europe without having to bulk add it to the photos ?

The bulk add tool is very convenient to add keywords, however I add my gallery keywords in "Send to Smugmug" and would love to see them assigned to each photo of the uploaded gallery.

Thanks,

McGil

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    mcgil wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm a newbie, been here a week and did not cancel the free trial, so I'm in :))

I have a question regarding the photo keywords (tags), I love them and how they're being surfaced on the homepage... however I would like to know if the gallery keywords are being surfaced anywhere the same way ?

From this help page [http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags], it says that gallery titles and photo captions are not used as keywords ... but what about gallery keywords ???

For example I have a gallery called Europe, and I'd like to have each photo tagged with Europe without having to bulk add it to the photos ?

The bulk add tool is very convenient to add keywords, however I add my gallery keywords in "Send to Smugmug" and would love to see them assigned to each photo of the uploaded gallery.

Thanks,

McGil
    Hi McGil, and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

You cannot add keywords to a photo, without adding keywords to a photo (this sounds a little.....ah... dumb, but bare with me) The gallery keywords, titles and photocaptions are just that, and no keywords, however they are being used when a search is being done. If you want to have each photo specifically tagged with a keyword, there are a few options.
    (1) Smugmug auto-creates keywords from certain filenames,
    (2) you can add the keywords prior to uploading on your own computer (any photo software that supports IPTC tags),
    (3) or you can bulk-add keywords (takes about 5 seconds, you can do all photos at once)

I hope this helps, if you have any questions, let us know thumb.gif
  • mcgilmcgil Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Thanks for the welcome :)

I've been thinking about my request and I realised what you guys must know by now : the strength of the photo keywords lies in their relevancy..

If I had categorised all my Europe photos with Europe or with a more specific keyword then it would have diluted my keywords relevancy ... as some photos just show a loaf of bread or the view from the plane ... which is only related to the keyword.

Thanks,

McGil

ivar wrote:
    Hi McGil, and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

You cannot add keywords to a photo, without adding keywords to a photo (this sounds a little.....ah... dumb, but bare with me) The gallery keywords, titles and photocaptions are just that, and no keywords, however they are being used when a search is being done. If you want to have each photo specifically tagged with a keyword, there are a few options.
    (1) Smugmug auto-creates keywords from certain filenames,
    (2) you can add the keywords prior to uploading on your own computer (any photo software that supports IPTC tags),
    (3) or you can bulk-add keywords (takes about 5 seconds, you can do all photos at once)

I hope this helps, if you have any questions, let us know thumb.gif