Options

A Window, A Sink and Some Weights

miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
edited November 6, 2004 in Landscapes
Some shots from this morning. Thought I would share. Comments welcome as always.

10876603-L.jpg

10876604-L.jpg
Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
http://miketaylor.giph.com

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    I like them as usual, such a feel for the setting.

Can you take pictures of the local people? Have you, and I haven't noticed?
    Are there local people?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2004
    Dont get around locals too much
    I dont have much interaction with locals if any. Unfortunately in the job I have now I dont leave the base. There will be some opportunities in the near future to get out and maybe get some shots of locals, but I am not out regularly in convoy's or anything like that and honestly if I was I would probably not be holding my camera. Just being honest. I might get some chances to get some shots from the air soon though. Will definitely post when i do as alot of people have asked if this is a possibility.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2004
    try to stay away from ground convoys. Will look forward to all shots on base and in the air (I know that is where you like to be, or think so, anyway).

I don't like violence, there is a lot I don't watch. I never saw the movie Blackhawk Down. Is that, whatever they did, is that kind of what you did?

If I saw that movie, well, is it a good movie, representative of anything you know (of).

ginger
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2004
    Hmm.. I will say that Blackhawk Down was a very good movie but then again I loved it and my mother hated it. I think that was for personal reasons though and nothing to do with the quality of the movie. The blackhawks in that movie and the pilots flying them were special forces aircraft and pilots. The Blackhawks we fly are not as advanced as those in the movie but are pretty much just as capable. Not all the bells and whistles though. We do fly around troops like they did in the movie though and yes I do prefer to be doing that. But on the other hand I wouldnt have the time to be learning everything I am now about photography if I was. I think i am happy either way. I traded one thing I love for another.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2004
    I am glad you traded, but that is a selfish thing.

I would imagine your mother is glad, too, may be selfish, but I bet she earned it, :D Said as a mother, too.

Lots of people join the service to learn things, lol. Most of them get to go to school to do it, though. But that might be way dull. (not as many photo ops)

ginger
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2004
    Yeah I think my mother is very happy im doing what im doing now also.

I was lucky enough to have the Army give me my schooling prior to coming onto active duty. There were alot of photo ops when I was there as it was an incredibly beautiful place, unfortunately all the shots I took while I was there were taken with my Minolta X700 and are sitting in a photo album. I need to get a good scanner when i get back to the world and convert my older stuff into digital.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    Hi Mike, I like the window shot. I am not really impressed with the view out of the window, but I do like the concept a lot. I love window shots...
    Can I challenge you to do a window shot with an attractive outlook? :D:D:D
    These are nice snaps, I know you can do better though.... These are a bit under your capabilities if you ask me.
    The sink is in focus, nice contrast, good pic, just a bit more oomphhh would be nice. I know of course that your world there is limited.
    Stay safe and take care
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2004
    :D Im glad you challenged me to this window idea. I found some interesting prospects today. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me. I should be able to get back there tomorrow though so maybe I will have a response to your challenege tomorrow. This is not as easy of a chalenge for me as it may sound though as almost every window in the buildings on the base I live on have been boarded up so as to not let any light out at night. This is of special concern to us here as the base is in downtown Tikrit and a lighted window provides a good target. Hasnt happened that I know of since I have been here but that is the reason for boarding up the windows. Also alot of them had been broken when we arrived and never repaired properly. Hopefully I will have a response for you tomorrow.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2004
    Holy Crap
    I just noticed that the eyes on your avatar cat blink. I thought I was seeing things for a secondrolleyes1.gif
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2004
    Number two is striking...very nice!
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
    I just noticed that the eyes on your avatar cat blink. I thought I was seeing things for a secondrolleyes1.gif

Grin, watch Gubbs his goatie... My kittie also has some tongue in cheek work to do.
    Somebody was so good to make it for me... I LOVE it.
    It is nice the first time that you notice it moves. I had it too with the goat, jeesh, did it move or am I hallucinating??? headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
    I'd adjust the contrast of the window shot to get a more vivid outdoors scene. The best way do to this is with CMYK curves. If you pick a black point outside, the frame will be very black. I'd try to find a white point outside as well.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
    10939707-L.jpg

Better? I corrected in LAB with an s-shaped L curve and heavy steepening of the A+B channels. See here for my post about LAB correction.
    If not now, when?