shopping cart broken!

jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
edited June 8, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I just tried to add a photo into the shopping cart, it said it was added, when I goto the cart, it is empty.

This happened in IE and Firefox; on two computers. I've cleared the cache and retried, same thing.

HELP! Thanks.
Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
FacebookFlickrSmugMug
SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
(use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)

Comments

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 5, 2006
    jchin wrote:
    I just tried to add a photo into the shopping cart, it said it was added, when I goto the cart, it is empty.

This happened in IE and Firefox; on two computers. I've cleared the cache and retried, same thing.

HELP! Thanks.

Can you check to see if you have cookies enabled? That is the most common problem.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Sheaf wrote:
    Can you check to see if you have cookies enabled? That is the most common problem.

Cookies are enabled. I've checked that already. I am able to login to the site, but I still cannot add to the shopping cart. The "popup" for adding to the shopping cart does come up.

Is it a script issue? Anything else for me to look at?

Thanks.
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    ODD! I just tried again right now and it added this time.

I'll repost if the problem comes back. Thanks for fixing whatever it is.
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    jchin wrote:
    ODD! I just tried again right now and it added this time.

I'll repost if the problem comes back. Thanks for fixing whatever it is.

I've seen this happening too. But only once and it never happened again... ne_nau.gif
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • FormerLurkerFormerLurker Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Happening repeatedly to me as well, but only using IE6. Firefox is fine.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Happening repeatedly to me as well, but only using IE6. Firefox is fine.

Link please? ear.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    just an idea...
    I know, I know... I've requested this before. But it sure seems like there are a lot of "help-- can't order prints" posts here (including one of mine!)

Anyway, the cookies thing does seem to be an issue with many users and print orders. Any talk of eliminating the cookie requirement for print orders? Or any talk about changing the 'error' message to 'cookies must be enabled' rather than 'your cart is empty'? Is there a reason cookies need to be enabled for print orders? There are plenty of websites which allow ordering of merchandise without setting a cookie on your browser.

I know smugmug is dealing with a lot right now (stat updates, new designs, keeping up with this forum, etc) but in my opinion, the coolest design in the world loses a lot of value when there are still error messages that make no sense when someone without cookies enabled tries to buy a print. And since there's no digital download option either, selling prints should be as straight-forward and easy (EZ?) as possible.

Just my two-cents (or is it up to four-cents now that I've requested this twice?)

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    You know - when we did NOT use cookies we got far more complaints that people lost their cart when they closed their browser window ... :)

Maybe we can implement a fallback system just incase the cookie fails, I will check with Don.
    dogwood wrote:
    I know, I know... I've requested this before. But it sure seems like there are a lot of "help-- can't order prints" posts here (including one of mine!)

Anyway, the cookies thing does seem to be an issue with many users and print orders. Any talk of eliminating the cookie requirement for print orders? Or any talk about changing the 'error' message to 'cookies must be enabled' rather than 'your cart is empty'? Is there a reason cookies need to be enabled for print orders? There are plenty of websites which allow ordering of merchandise without setting a cookie on your browser.

I know smugmug is dealing with a lot right now (stat updates, new designs, keeping up with this forum, etc) but in my opinion, the coolest design in the world loses a lot of value when there are still error messages that make no sense when someone without cookies enabled tries to buy a print. And since there's no digital download option either, selling prints should be as straight-forward and easy (EZ?) as possible.

Just my two-cents (or is it up to four-cents now that I've requested this twice?)
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    ahhhh...
    {JT} wrote:
    You know - when we did NOT use cookies we got far more complaints that people lost their cart when they closed their browser window ... :)

Maybe we can implement a fallback system just incase the cookie fails, I will check with Don.

... now I understand the reason for the cookies. I appreciate the explanation. Still wonder if there's another cookie-less way to accomplish the same thing, but maybe there isn't. And I don't really care for the "create an account" idea used on other sites-- which is probably cookie-based too!

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    {JT} wrote:

Really!?

That is hard to understand.
    I WANT to lose the cart when I close my browser. If I wanted to buy the stuff I would have done it before I left. I used to get annoyed when I went back to a site and there was stuff from last session. Doesn't happen anymore as I dump cookies when I close my browser :D.

One suggestion might be a "save cart" button on the checkout page which writes a cookie for those who want such a thing.

It also might be useful to determine how many of these problems are from vanity domains vs. smugmug sites. I was able to determine that using the cart through vanity domains can cause problems with browsers set to accept only domain cookies (which is the default setting for most browsers).
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/