Sony Alpha DSLR-A100

2»

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    Anybody want a PEANUT?! :D I can come up with dozens of other quotes from that movie if you lke.

Anyway, back on topic, yep that camera is far less than I'm accustomed to & not up to my needs. I just don't understand the seemingly-arbitrary changes. Making it different just for the sake of different isn't really a good thing. ne_nau.gif It will be interesting to see how the early adopters like it & if it makes a solid competitor.
  • liquidsquidliquidsquid Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Say...how IS that R1 working out for you? Any regrets?

Nope, no regrets! I love it. It is easy to use, the lens does great for the things it is designed for, and I am having fun! The only regret is the reach. I was thinking of complimenting the R1 with the H5, but ran out of money :cry

I haven't posted a lot of pictures, but some I wanted to share:
    http://www.markwyman.com/photos/default.asp

Mostly Joseph, our newly adopted son is taking up my time right now, so the R1 is being used mostly candid shots of him.

-LS
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    "Am I going MAD, or did the word THINK escape your lips?"

From WHAT movie?

"Inconceivable!"

"You keep saying that...I do not think that word means what you think it means"
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Next week, I have two days of site (industrial water) samplings to do at Stanford University. I've got plotted on my Streets and Trips map for that area a Sony Style store a few miles away from there in Palo Alto. I'm finally gonna get my chance to try out the Sony cameras (I've given up going to Ritz--they NEVER have what I want)!

I have been warned, however, about the A100's plastic construction. If it feels too weak, or shows any hint that it could crack under the slightest pressure or impact (life--and its many accidents--does happen), I'm probably gonna have to shake my hands and walk away.

I'll be interested to hear what you think when you check it out. I really want to believe it was a bad sample I got to try. Let us know please!

Erich
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    "Bow to her, queen of putresence! Bow, Bow!"eek7.gif

Really, that one (The Princess Bride) and The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across the 8th Dimension are my two faves - who else would make Robocop a brilliant scientist/rockstar/world savior...my wife says I'm a little strange...:D

I'm really liking that CCD jiggy deal Sony put on the A100.

Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Dante KingDante King Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 8, 2006
    tupperware party
    I was "fortunate" enough to have about 2 hours with one of the new alphas. First let me say that I was not impressed. My tupperware collection has less plastic than this camera. Focus was painfully slow. To be fair, all the shop had to put on the alpha was the kit lens. Exposure from this camera seems to be random. Really weird. tripod shots of the same shot in same lighting resulted in odd results. This camera is NOISY!!! Did not really see any visible results from the on camera IS. Saw the indicator in the VF change as vibrations did, but unlike some IS lenses, the shot did not seem to settle from a little shake I was creating. Body felt cheap. Real cheap. For me, I see no benefit of picking the Alpha up as a second system or replacement for my current gear.
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Sounds to me like the cheap plastic construction I've been warned about is all too true. As for the photo quality problems, I've got enough of those with the camera I have already. I don't need to buy MORE problems!

As I said in an earlier thread, I'll be able to check an A100 out when I visit a Sony Style store in Palo Alto CA next week.

I guess I better brace myself for a big disappointment, huh?
    Dante King wrote:
    I was "fortunate" enough to have about 2 hours with one of the new alphas. First let me say that I was not impressed. My tupperware collection has less plastic than this camera. Focus was painfully slow. To be fair, all the shop had to put on the alpha was the kit lens. Exposure from this camera seems to be random. Really weird. tripod shots of the same shot in same lighting resulted in odd results. This camera is NOISY!!! Did not really see any visible results from the on camera IS. Saw the indicator in the VF change as vibrations did, but unlike some IS lenses, the shot did not seem to settle from a little shake I was creating. Body felt cheap. Real cheap. For me, I see no benefit of picking the Alpha up as a second system or replacement for my current gear.
    Steve-o
    edited August 8, 2006
    Ahh, yes. But she DID marry you, "strange" and all!
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    "Bow to her, queen of putresence! Bow, Bow!"eek7.gif

Really, that one (The Princess Bride) and The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across the 8th Dimension are my two faves - who else would make Robocop a brilliant scientist/rockstar/world savior...my wife says I'm a little strange...:D

I'm really liking that CCD jiggy deal Sony put on the A100.

Mike
    Steve-o
    edited August 8, 2006
    I'll be taking a LOT of notes while I'm there!
    erich6 wrote:
    I'll be interested to hear what you think when you check it out. I really want to believe it was a bad sample I got to try. Let us know please!

Erich
    Steve-o
    edited August 8, 2006
    You know, we're boTH miTHing the liTHp!

Now, about that Land War in Asia...
    erich6 wrote:
    "Inconceivable!"

"You keep saying that...I do not think that word means what you think it means"
    Steve-o
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    While on not overly enthusiatic about the A100 it appears to be a pretty good started DSLR. Phil over at DPR gave it a good review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/

My main concern over the A100 is with the system. So far the prices I've seen for the Sony 50mm 1.4 and their 70-200mm F2/8 are significantly higher than the Canon & Nikon versions. I haven't heard raves about its flash system either.

Image quality and ergonomics seem to be good. I would wait for Sony to flesh out its system and to see if they introduce a higher level body before I would go with them.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited August 8, 2006
    By "reach", do you mean the paltry 5X zoom?

And BTW, Congrats on your recent adoption! If you want another boy, I'll (loan) you mine!

Nope, no regrets! I love it. It is easy to use, the lens does great for the things it is designed for, and I am having fun! The only regret is the reach. I was thinking of complimenting the R1 with the H5, but ran out of money :cry

I haven't posted a lot of pictures, but some I wanted to share:
    http://www.markwyman.com/photos/default.asp

Mostly Joseph, our newly adopted son is taking up my time right now, so the R1 is being used mostly candid shots of him.

-LS
    Steve-o
    edited August 8, 2006
    For your edification, that movie was 'The Princess Bride'.

That Andre the Giant sure didn't live all that long, did he. I liked him in that movie.

As for that Sony, from what real-life accounts some fellow D-grinners have given so far, my review may be more eviscerating.

Betcha can't wait to be eviscerated, huh?!
    ziggy53 wrote:
    You may be going "mad", but at least you'll never be me!mwink.gif

No idea about a movie, but we await your titillating (ziggy said titillatingrolleyes1.gif) description of the new Sony Alpha camera.thumb.gif

Thanks,

ziggy53
    Steve-o
  • liquidsquidliquidsquid Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    By "reach", do you mean the paltry 5X zoom?

And BTW, Congrats on your recent adoption! If you want another boy, I'll (loan) you mine!

Ah... one is enough right now, thank you. Boy what a crank he was tonight! I guess he was an angel all day, and then I came home. *sigh* It is tough to think I have a 6mo old at 37 and where I will be in life when he is 13.:cry

Yeah, the paltry 5x zoom starting from wide winds up not being able to even get close to a decent bird shot unless you are an excellent sneak or shoot them with a gun before shooting them with the camera. :uhoh

Anyhow back on the subject at hand: I started with a Sony V1 in digital land, and loved it. When I moved to the R1 I didn't need to learn the interface all over, it was just improved (like the dedicated ISO button). Also the pictures come out of that camera "true to eye" which being a purist, I love. I can always add "pop" later if desired, but find I don't often do that with this camera. Perhaps that is also due to my good LCD monitors being so much much better than my paltry old CRT.

-LS