Website header sizing?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited June 5, 2006 in Finishing School
I created a website header and it appears that in 1024 x 768 mode, it fits perfectly across my screen / website.

In 800 x 600 mode, it is so large, that the viewer ends up with scroll bar for horizontal scrolling..... just to get the page into full view horizontally !!!

I kNOW I'm doing something wrong because on other sites, their 720 x 120 header fits nicely across the page and does not misbehave in 800 x 600 the way mine did in testing so far.

TIA for your help!!

Markjay
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• SuperJaredSuperJared Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    The de facto standard width that works well with 800x600 is 760px wide, so if your image is 720px wide it should not be a problem. Perhaps it is a bit wider, or the HTML itself is creating the problem (table width or something)?

I'd need more info to really diagnose this.
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    the first question will be, of course, what's your site (so we can look at it and the code behind it).

there's probably some margin and/or padding that's causing the browser to give the user more space than your image would take by itself (or your image's larger than you think, but we can't tell since we don't know the site :D)