Options

Which EX for Canon EF-S and EF?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 6, 2006 in Cameras
I'm looking for a tele extender (1.4..1.7) that would work with both EF and EF-S lenses, allowing for AF to work. Is there such a thing? :dunno
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    I think you may be SOL about the EF-S because of its baffle, but I could be wrong...
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm looking for a tele extender (1.4..1.7) that would work with both EF and EF-S lenses, allowing for AF to work. Is there such a thing? ne_nau.gif

The tamron I use on my 400 that I think I showed you in Bryce mounts to any lens because it doesnt protrude like the canon models. The other option would be to use a Canon 1.4x and a 12mm extension tube. Its a bit of messy math but it should work.

Hope that helps Nik.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 6, 2006
    What EF-S lens would you want to put an extender on? As far as I know, most short lenses never work with any extender, just because of the relative proximity of the rear element.

And I'm putting this in gear, so you get more useful info. When you find out what exactly you're looking for, come on back to the market.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    TC's kill image quality one non-primes, and even then they pretty much need to be tele primes. The only exception is the 70-200 2.8 L with a 1.4x tc. However, even the 70-200 2.8 stinks if you try a 2x TC. Also, except for sigma, the cheap TCs are pretty bad. Canon makes the best, for EF mount anyways. Oh, and unless you are using a 1 series body, the lens has to be f/2.8 or faster for a 2x tc to leave you with any decent AF and f/4 or faster for a 1.4x.
    Richard