Girls Just Want To.....

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited June 8, 2006 in People
..........climb trees in pretty dresses.

73489739-L.jpg

Comments

• adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    the last is the best - I think a straight B&W would look better though.
    thumb.gif
    saurora wrote:
    ..........climb trees in pretty dresses.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Really really nice shots saurora thumb.gif Great contrast !
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    I really like the last one. The girl is just tooooo cute!
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    As she should!thumb.gif Great shots.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    A couple more...
    73751791-L.jpg

73767039-L.jpg
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Great work. thumb.gif
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Great shots, Saurora. They really look like they're having fun!
    Chris
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Re: The first shot. Very interesting bohek ... but the brightness of the center background is very distracting. I'd burn this area in along with under the tree branch (lower left side) and I'd lighten the face of the girl in the pretty dress.

Re: Shots two and three - I'd burn in the pretty poka dot dress in both images. In three I'd dial in a bit more contrast for punch and burn in the background.

Disclaimer> comments based upon my monitor ... your mileage my vary.

So what lens is delivering this interesting bokeh?

PS- Very, nice environmental protraits. I appreciate the tones ... so why aren't the dresses dirty ... how much fun can a girl have without getting a speck of dirt on her pretty dress?
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Awesome shots! I really like the look in the girls eyes in the first photo.
    edited June 7, 2006
    adrian_k wrote:
    the last is the best - I think a straight B&W would look better though.
    thumb.gif
    Thank you Adrian. I attempted a straight B & W, I thought the sepia would be a softer tone to use with children. Originally, I had them diffused as well, but reverted to a sharper print and brought up the contrast. I also like it in it's original color format. I just like the way black & white seems to tell a story.

73776718-M.jpg

73816795-L.jpg

http://saurora.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=73816795
    edited June 7, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Really really nice shots saurora thumb.gif Great contrast !

Thanks Gus!!! I am finding it hard to judge how contrasty to make prints for posting. Learning to "punch it" up there!
    edited June 7, 2006
    I really like the last one. The girl is just tooooo cute!

Thank you Scott...I have 3 adorable great-nieces (and 1 adorable great-nephew!)
    edited June 7, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Re: The first shot. Very interesting bohek ... but the brightness of the center background is very distracting. I'd burn this area in along with under the tree branch (lower left side) and I'd lighten the face of the girl in the pretty dress.

Re: Shots two and three - I'd burn in the pretty poka dot dress in both images. In three I'd dial in a bit more contrast for punch and burn in the background.

Disclaimer> comments based upon my monitor ... your mileage my vary.

So what lens is delivering this interesting bokeh?

Hi Gary, you are right, there is a lot more I could do to improve these shots (notice I didn't post them in the Whipping Post!) My PS skills are still lagging and I need to work on learning how to edit quicker. Yes, the background is strange with all those dead branches, etc. I was using my Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS. It's my most versatile lens, and I get more shots in focus with it than my others!!!!
    PS- Very, nice environmental protraits. I appreciate the tones ... so why aren't the dresses dirty ... how much fun can a girl have without getting a speck of dirt on her pretty dress?

Thank you Gary. I like the tones, too. Ah! You should have seen these 3 by the end of the day......no, make that by lunch time!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Looking at the B&W, the color, and sepia versions, I think you made the right call when you first produced it in the sepia. It really did soften up the image and kind of made it more intimate.

All the shots posted are very nice and makes me want to consider the same lens. The IS would be nice, but I would have a really hard time getting that past boss ... er, wife ... since I already have the Tamron. Besides, I like the f/2.8 of the Tamron and would find the f/4 a little restricting sometimes.
    edited June 7, 2006
    Thanks, Scott. I agree with you on the sepia tone. These are my brother's grandchildren. The shots were taken where we spent part of our childhood. Since my brother and his wife are planning to move to Washington (leaving grandchildren behind!) they wanted some shots taken in this location for remembrance. It was a bitter-sweet day shooting these shots and difficult viewing them after uploading them on my computer. :cry
  • spudjerspudjer Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Love the first shot and agree on the sepia tone. I would also recommend burning in the background to make the girl the lighter part of image to draw the eye to her.

The girls are beautiful and you are truly blessed!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I'm worried about Gort. I'm afraid of what he might do, if anything should happen to me.:dood

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    spudjer wrote:
    Love the first shot and agree on the sepia tone. I would also recommend burning in the background to make the girl the lighter part of image to draw the eye to her.

The girls are beautiful and you are truly blessed!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

15524779-Ti.gif Sepia works best and I think you can improve the background also. I like the shots except the Gausian blur version. Seems a bit overdone.

Erich
    edited June 8, 2006
    Thanks Erich and Spudger....looks like I'm going to have to take another stab at fixing that background since so many have mentioned it. Not tonight though....I bought a new car today and I have a headache tonight!!! :twitch