Digital SLR questions - Australia $$$$?

Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited June 7, 2006 in Cameras
Hi there!

In the same vain as Vangogh's thread, I'm after advice on a DSLR. I've finally gained 'permission' from the hubby to spend what for us is an astronomical amount of money on a camera (eek) I need to get everything I want for under $3,000. So here's what I need and what I do:

Run a very (i mean VERY) small business from home (also work part time and have two kids, so it is REALLY small). My passion is fine art photography (i'm exhibiting in a few small galleries at the moment), but I definately find that the money is in 'weddings/family/maternity' portraiture stuff, so that is what I need to be able to do as well. And the deal with hubby is that I will pay the $ back with what I can make from the camera ! (double eek!)

I currently have a Fuji finepix s7000. Nice camera but I have well and truely outgrown it. It's shit in low light, and doesn't have the flexibility of being able to change lenses etc. Its just a point n shoot in an SLR body.

From what I have read, it seems the consensus is either Canon or Nikon. I'm happy with this arguement, as I want to 'buy into the system' for life, so I'm happy to spend the money. From what I can gather Nikon is the more expensive of the two?

What I think I need: The body (of course), one of those flashes that is all bendy (to combat the inside wedding), normal lens, decent wide angle (I do some interior shots and also love my landscapes as well), I would love a telephoto, but its not essential. I need a bag as well.

So (sorry to go on and on) my questions is actually this:

* Does anyone have any idea whether I will be able to get all that for under $3K? Or is it pie in the sky and I shouldn't bother dream'in?

*I'm assuming you can buy non-genuine lenses for both types of camera? Is this worth it (considering that my business is very small)

* my other consideration is that I need to source all this from Harvey Norman (thank god for interest free!) the next time they have a 3 year deal. They stock both Canon and Nikon so it should be ok. I just can't make up my mind what I want, I don't know where to start to find out, and I don't know anyone who has these types of cameras to ask if they would be suitable for what I want.

*Can anyone point me in the right direction for actual models of these cameras so I can google them?

Grateful for any feedback/suggestions. I really want to make the right decisio in the first place.

Cheers,

Canon EOS 30D
Sigma 10-20
Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
Canon 18-55
Canon 50 f1.8
Canon 430EX

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    G'day kate...plenty of info in this recent thread.

gus
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    cameras in oz
    I can't comment on Nikons as I have had no experience with them..at the end of the day both brands are very good-Canon may have a wider range of lenses and accessories but really there is not much in it between them IMHO.A lot of sniping and breast beating between the two camps but usually just good fun.

I suggest the Canon 30d or a secondhand 20d which is its predecessor and is very close feature wise and has the same sensor etc.Its 8.2 mp and has a metal body,DOF preview etc.I have a 20d and it is very good.

You could get a 20d for about $1300-1500AUD,maybe less and this would leave you more money for lenses and flash.

For weddings etc you should consider starting with a fast 50/1.4 or faster , a portrait lens,say 85 mm,a fast short telephoto/wide zoom (and maybe an ultra wide zoom for landscapes and large group portraits etc).The camera is a 1.6X crop camera which means a smaller sensor so you need to get efs lenses which are designed for it if you want to go really wide.

Canon has an efs wide zoom, as do sigma ,tamron,tokina. A 28mm becomes equivalent to 44.8 mm field of view(28mmX1.6=44.8mm FOV) a 50mm becomes 80mm FOV and so on.

It becomes an advantage when you move into telephotos as a 300mm/f4.0 becomes equivalent of 480mm FOV @44.0..which is a good thing.

So always keep the 1.6X crop factor in mind when choosing focal lengths.

You don't have to go for top dollar lenses but if you are serious about making money thats where you should spend the dollars-i dont know whether you can get everything you need for $3000.

If you put together your kit with good quality second-hand gear you may be able to do it for $3000 or less.

You will also need a flash-if the Canon ones are too expensive the Sigma dg500 is pretty well regarded.

Consider also a tripod-spend the money on a good one and it will last you a lifetime.

If you want professional quality glass you can go for the Canon L lenses but they cost a lot.

Camera gear is so expensive in Australia you should search for B&H Photo in NY-you can get things cheaper there depending on exchange rate etc-if purchase price and shipping is under $1000AUD then there is no GST payable.Check the prices and get a currency conversion from XE.com and remember the shipping cost when you are comparing.

Also check some of the web based shops in Australia-I doubt whether the electrical store will be able to beat them

Myself, I have been happy to use manual focus lenses with an adapter.The quality is very good and sometimes better-sak Andy about his Zeiss Distagon...droolworthy wide angle.

I use classic Pentax SMC Takumar lense which I buy from KEH.com in Atlanta.

But I will be moving towards some AF lenses in the future,maybe an ultra wide zoom or upgrade to a full frame 5d and get some lovely Zeiss etc wide angles....but this would probably mean having to upgrade to L teles as the 5d shows up any flaw in opticaldesign and construction wheras the 20d crops out the edges ,which is where most lens problems are to be found...

Good luck and any further questions just sing out.

Greg
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited June 6, 2006
    Also..

I brought 4 of the most popular up here for you so you can see a side by side comparrison Thats a yank site so remember that Hardley Normal will be a bit different price wise.

If i was in your shoes i would def buy the 350D...but im biased & like canons higher ISO shooting ability. It will leave you some dollars for a good tripod...compact flash cards for storage...flash unit...a good bag/back pack...some extra lenses....a puffer for cleaning inside...a remote control...filters...etc etc etc etc etc

Welcome to the disease !
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    From Nikon the D200 (10 MP) would be your best choice. IMHO opinion it is the best buy around in DSLRs. It goes for $1700.

For a flash the SB-600 $170 (after rebate) or the SB-800 $290 (after rebate).

With lenses you could get the 50mm 1.8 $109.00 or the 50mm 1.4 $280.00. The Nikon 85mm 1.8 for $360 is also excellent.

for a w/a zoom you have the Sigma 10-20mm for around $460.00
    The Sigma 12-24 for around $640.00

The Tamron 28-70mm F/2.8 for $250 is an excellent buy.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Cliff PhotoCliff Photo Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    From Nikon the D200 (10 MP) would be your best choice. IMHO opinion it is the best buy around in DSLRs. It goes for $1700.

For a flash the SB-600 $170 (after rebate) or the SB-800 $290 (after rebate).

With lenses you could get the 50mm 1.8 $109.00 or the 50mm 1.4 $280.00. The Nikon 85mm 1.8 for $360 is also excellent.

for a w/a zoom you have the Sigma 10-20mm for around $460.00
    The Sigma 12-24 for around $640.00

The Tamron 28-70mm F/2.8 for $250 is an excellent buy.

Ditto on Harry's advice. thumb.gif

Nikon shooter: D200, Tokina 12-24, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 VR 2.8, 50 1.4 :click
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    While Nikon is a little more expensive - it is probably the best camera I have ever own in my life. I have shot with Cannon's & Minota's, they don't hold a candle to NIKON.

I would say get the D200 - 10 megapixels. You'll love it - trust me. thumb.gif
    edited June 6, 2006
    From an australian camera shop whore's point of view (mine)...you will do much better with canon. If you were in the USA then either will do.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    I assume you mean $3000 AUS Dollars, which is $2245 US, just to be clear. In this case the Nikon D200 is likely not the ideal solution for you. Since this has to be self funding, and it is not something you are betting feeding your kids on, I would recommend that you start a bit smaller.

Truth is, going to a dSLR, any dSLR will transform your art. This includes the D50/D70 or 350D. This is the direction I would recommend. Try the Nikon D70 or Canon 350 on for size. What you save in the body, you can invest in the lens and get a flash. Get good lenses that you can live with for a while, trading off the body for the lens. Once you pay for initial investment, you can begin saving up for a body upgrade.
    [SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
  • Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    thanks heaps guys -there is a lot of info here to get me started in the right direction! I really appreciate the time to reply -

PS: Gus - Love the 'ratty' quote. And couldn't agree more. Grew up on boats, on the Murray - my other passion - wooden boats. Could spend thousands on them too! god - i REALLY need to win lotto.

thanks again ...

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    secondhand
    If you have $3000 to spend ,second-hand is well worth considering-if you can get a 20d with 20,000 actuations it's still a baby and is going to be depreciated down to a reasonable price.

Gingers 20d shutter gave up the ghost at just over 90,000 actuations,which is a lot of photos.See camera repair quote thread

Then spend the rest of your money on good secondhand primes and maybe a zoom and a flash,a cleaning kit.

spend most of your budget on lenses and you wont go wrong
    some of the canon L zooms are a very good place to start,along with the fastest 50mm you can afford and a short telephoto ,say either an 85/1.8 ,100mm or 135mm which you can use for portraits.

A manual 50/1.4, like the Pentax smc takumar is excellent (and less than $80AUD)and with an adapter could leave you with some more money for longer primes and a zoom

The tamron 28-75 is a very good competitively priced zoom,which you may have to buy new but you can get L glass secondhand.

With zooms its best to avoid the' one stop shop' 28-300 zooms-they can get pretty ordinary at the long end

There is a 20d for sale in the dgrin fleamarket at the moment- I have one and its a very good camera-no complaints.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.