• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 8, 2006
    It'll do just fine.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    24 replies later (not counting this one)...this is still a very good choice. :D

rolleyes1.gifI tend to agree. All the lenses have excellent reputations. I have used both the f2.8 IS and f4 70-200 and know their reputations are well-earned, so can only assume the 17-40 is as well. I personally would like to have both a WA/UWA and a telephoto for landscapes--what if you want to isolate that really cool rock formation or interensting tree? A telephoto would be great, so I don't subscribe to the earlier assertion that the 70-200 "sucks rocks" for the use, it depends on what you want to do with it.

However, I still think the f2.8 IS is overkill if the lens will be only/mainly used for daylight shooting. That's a whole lot of extra money for low light capability if it isn't really needed. It's up to the OP to decide what type ofshooting will be done & if the extra capability is needed.

I'll use a recent trip I just did as an example. I was up in the San Fancisco area for some dance shows. The first day I was on my own while the rest of our group was busy with workshops, so I headed out to the coast & shot landscapes. I did in fact use the 70-200/2.8 IS I had with me, mostly with IS off and at f8-f16. That day the extra cpaability was technically a waste & the f4 model would have served just as well. The rest of the trip I was in an auditiorium & was shooting shows with IS at f2.8-f5.6, so the extra capability was certainly needed. Oh ,and using the changeable lens ability of the SLR, I swapped between the 24-70 and 70-200 to give me my full 24-200mm range available.
  • AtruckerAtrucker Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    My favorite 1 lens solution for a Crop Canon is the 17-85IS. It's the best bang out there for the bucks.
    I have abandoned my search for Truth and am now looking for a good Fantasy.
  • k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    ok guys i really appreciate all the help and suggestions given to me on this thread. after some consideration and help from here and local camera shops, this is what i have decided for my 12 day trip adventure, you are correct in the fact that there is no such thing as a one lense deal on this excursion, so i have bought the canon 17-40 f4L, 70-200 f4L, a battery grip, 2-4 gb cf extemeIII cards, a tripod,lense hoods, filters/polarizers, i know thats not it but all i can think of at the moment. and i am still contemplating the 24-70 f2.8L, after all i still have a week left before i leave on my excursion. THANKS AGAIN, I DO REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S INPUT. it has been enlightening to say the least of very expensive. rolleyes1.gif , but again toys are toys.
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    k2c1959 wrote:
    ok guys i really appreciate all the help and suggestions given to me on this thread. after some consideration and help from here and local camera shops, this is what i have decided for my 12 day trip adventure, you are correct in the fact that there is no such thing as a one lense deal on this excursion, so i have bought the canon 17-40 f4L, 70-200 f4L, a battery grip, 2-4 gb cf extemeIII cards, a tripod,lense hoods, filters/polarizers, i know thats not it but all i can think of at the moment. and i am still contemplating the 24-70 f2.8L, after all i still have a week left before i leave on my excursion. THANKS AGAIN, I DO REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S INPUT. it has been enlightening to say the least of very expensive. rolleyes1.gif , but again toys are toys.
    Great choices!

Make sure you have, and use, a solid tripod. And I think you'll want the 24-70, you have an important gap in your armory.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    k2c1959 wrote:
    Have a nice trip and shooting.
    Show us the pictures when you can.
    Post here. It will be easier to have a clue ...
    I am not the guy to envy people, but I would love to go with you... :):
    Do you have a porter for all this stuff ?:D
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    k2c1959 wrote:

Did you buy the lens hoods seperate? Becuase L glass comes with a lens hood.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    k2c1959 wrote:

Extra Batteries? ne_nau.gif Charger adapter for car? ne_nau.gif As for your gap, get the 24-70L if money isn't an option, or by a 50 f1.8 to get you buy:D .

You're gonna your choices!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited June 10, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    Did you buy the lens hoods seperate? Becuase L glass comes with a lens hood.
    no actualy the hoods were for 2 other lenses im taking also, the original lense that came with the xt and a 28-105 f3.5-4.5 usm. figured im packing heavy i might as well take them all. 12 days is a long time and never know what you are going to get in to.
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

Member NAPP
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    Ah, ok. Looks like you will be well prepared for your trip. You will love your new gear.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
    edited June 14, 2006
    tried out my new CANON 70-200 F/4L YESTERDAY AND ALL I CAN SAY IS "HOLY CRAP" where has this lense been all my life..lol outstanding.... still waiting on my 17-40L to come in tomorrow. my trip ought to be awesome. thanks again all.

Member NAPP
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    rolleyes1.gifYep, those 70-200 lenses have that effect. Welcome to the great brotherhood of the Lcoholics! Now nothing less than an L lens will be good enough. :D
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    rolleyes1.gifYep, those 70-200 lenses have that effect. Welcome to the great brotherhood of the Lcoholics! Now nothing less than an L lens will be good enough. :D

Ain't that a fact. I got my first L used from a friend of mine and have been filling in the gaps ever since. It was hard as heck to put the money up for the 70-200 2.8 IS but it sees plenty of use.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    After hesitating for a week :D I asked in the shop for the 70~200 f/2.8 USM L IS today.
    I own the 16~35 f/2.8 USM L and the 24~70 f/2.8 USM L to mount on the 20D.
    You found the 70~200 is to be good. OK. That's fine.
    Because tomorow is a public holliday, I guess I'll have it by friday...
    Then... :)::)::): shooooot !!! ...
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited June 15, 2006
    got my 17-40L today, tried it out and all i can say is im hooked for life now on "THE BIG L" awesome does no justice to describe.wow wow...

Member NAPP
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    k2c1959 wrote:
    got my 17-40L today, tried it out and all i can say is im hooked for life now on "THE BIG L" awesome does no justice to describe.wow wow...
    Thats good to hear I probably will go that route
    Have fun with the new lens

Fred