Seperate user accounts & rights

schris403schris403 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited June 6, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have been trying to figure out a workaround for awhile now for this problem and I just can't get it to work the way we really want.. Basically what we need is a place to setup separate usernames & passwords where that account list can only access our galleries and home page. The structure would be as follows:

Guests would be able to only view all the galleries with only the small image option and all photos would have watermarks. This site should be accessed with a generic "guest" password and only very basic guest functions including purchasing photos.

Next, logging on would allow a user to view all sizes and have the download option to download the original picture to disk. Not having the watermark displayed under these "user" accounts would be nice but isn't absolutely necessary as long as it is removed from the original when it is saved. This user would not have upload rights either. They would definitely need to be able to search via a keyword box though throughout all the galleries posted in the smugmug account.

Finally the administrator or smugmug account holder would have all the rights they have today so nothing would change there.

Does this all sound possible? I am with a very large university and we could this feature greatly. I personally see these features being essential to the service and others would probably be able to use these features greatly as well for their own site. If someone could please contact me directly if this is even possible to get setup, we are definately willing pay for whatever it takes to get this going!

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Comments

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 6, 2006
    There may be an easier and more simple solution, but the one that came to my mind first was just to make two main categories: Public and Private. Every gallery would simply be duplicated with a copy in each category, except that the ones in the Private category are passworded and have no watermarks, full viewing sizes, no right-click protection, etc.

A guest would only be able to visit the public galleries as per your request.

The second tier of access would have a password that works for all the passworded galleries. They would be able to download originals, would see no watermarks, etc. In order to do keyword searches though, they would have to keyword search the public galleries, then go to the same gallery name in the private part of the site to find the photo they are interested in.
    SmugMug Product Manager