Referral Codes

CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
edited June 7, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Like some sites that are already doing so, I'm thinking about putting my referral code in a link so the viewer could simply click the link and my code be attached to the signup without them having to enter it. While testing on this on other sites that have a link, some other code is already entered in the form. :scratch
Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    RTP wrote:
    Like some sites that are already doing so, I'm thinking about putting my referral code in a link so the viewer could simply click the link and my code be attached to the signup without them having to enter it. While testing on this on other sites that have a link, some other code is already entered in the form. headscratch.gif

You'd like to do it in your bio? Or where? ear.gif

Your personal referral code is in your control panel.
  • mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    Like some sites that are already doing so, I'm thinking about putting my referral code in a link so the viewer could simply click the link and my code be attached to the signup without them having to enter it. While testing on this on other sites that have a link, some other code is already entered in the form.

Its because of cookies. The first code you click on is the one that "sticks" in the form. Once that cookie is set then it is stuck until you clear cookies. To test clear your cookies and then click on a referring link. The proper code should be in place.
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    In my bio. It was more along the lines of "If you would like to have your own personal photo gallery, click here and sign up and save $5." "Here" would be a link to the signup with my referral code entered.
    Andy wrote:

Cason

www.casongarner.com

• CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    Its because of cookies. The first code you click on is the one that "sticks" in the form. Once that cookie is set then it is stuck until you clear cookies. To test clear your cookies and then click on a referring link. The proper code should be in place.

Ahh..I will test this when I get home. Thank you for the tip.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    There is a method of doing this buried somewhere in the FAQ. I ran across it when first starting & stole that idea to add to the bottom of my site. It's pretty simple, IIRC, you just a "?referral=" and your code to the end of the URL.