Options

21 day old Bunnies leave the nest

Yorkie DadYorkie Dad Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited June 8, 2006 in Wildlife
I was fortunate to be able to see 'my' bunnies leaving the nest for the first time yesterday. They were 21 days old and just precious.
In the evening I was also priviliged to see the 'Mom' return to the nest area with her 5 'babies' following close behind. She then proceeded to nurse them. It was truely a unique and remarkable experience for me.
The initial photo is 1 of the bunnys, apparently sleepy, up next to the house. You will note that at 21 days the bunny is slightly taller than 1 brick, but not as long as a brick.
The 2nd photo is a bro/sis just outside the nest that was willing to pose for several photos before hopping back in to snuggle with his siblings.

73845578-M.jpg

73845692-M.jpg
www.artguertin-photography.com

"There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit."
- Philip Hyde (1922-2006)

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 7, 2006
    these are the little guys you "uncovered" with the mower, right? that second shot is great stuff, really great control of the DOF in the grass behind the bunny. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Such an awesome thing to see!

Nature seems to be in full bloom right now. I am seeing much that I have never seen before.........I guess getting old can be a good thing with all the new "experiences".

I have never seen a bunny family, yet, however!

Thanks for sharing,

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Yorkie DadYorkie Dad Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    these are the little guys you "uncovered" with the mower, right? that second shot is great stuff, really great control of the DOF in the grass behind the bunny. thumb.gif

Erik,
    You are correct. These are the same bunnys that I discovered while mowing. The Mom picked a bad location as the nest was in direct sun most of the day (temp in 90's) and we had a series of heavy downpours. I made a raised 'cover' and placed it over the nest to provide shade and keep the rain off as I feared they would drown. It seemed to be OK with Mom as she returned each night to care for her brood. It has been really fascinating watching them grow and develop to the point that they started venturing out.
    In checking today I see where they have now moved to a much better location under some shrubs where I will be able to continue to watch them until they leave for good. They spread out in the neighborhood and into a very large field nearby.
    www.artguertin-photography.com

"There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit."
    - Philip Hyde (1922-2006)
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Too cute. Good shots of those little guys. Now they can make their way in the world munching on folks' landscaping. :D
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Wonderful ! How lucky you are indeed. I hope these little baby bunnies make it in the big world. We don't see too many bunnies. We have lots of hawks around that, I presume, snatch them up.
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    ...and you was there with your camera to secure this great happening. Well done!

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    dallasdallas Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Bunnies are nice. :): :): :): Its fun to following those kinds of events, congratulations.
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Very cool and way to gothumb.gif
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    I was wondering how they were doing
    What a neat experience to be able to document their progress! I'm so glad you saw them in time. And made a shelter for them... I hope that momma picks a better spot next time.

Thanks for sharing the photos.