Options

Frame supplier & sizes...

THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
edited June 21, 2006 in Technique
So I have to ask...

How come nobody prints or has frames for original size prints!? For example, 8x12, 10x15, 12x18, 16x24, 20x30, etc. One of the main reasons I went with SmugMug was because they print these sizes and eliminate the need to crop. But I have the hardest time finding frames!!!

Why is this? Why do most photo printers only have sizes that require cropping? And as a result, frame suppliers only carry frames for cropped photos. Am I missing something? I've been struggling with this for years but never really faced the problem.

So...Can anyone recommend an online framing company?

Thanks!
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin

Comments

• Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    So no recommendations on frame suppliers????ne_nau.gif
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Try http://www.LightimpressionsDirect.com

They sell precut,hinged window mats for 8x12, 11x14, 12x18, 16x24 in packages of five. They also offer "custom" cut window mats for a very nominal fee.

This place also offers frame sections or complete frame kits. I often just go to Michaels hobby stores when they have metal frames at 50% discount sales.

Hope that helps out.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    So I have to ask...

How come nobody prints or has frames for original size prints!? For example, 8x12, 10x15, 12x18, 16x24, 20x30, etc. One of the main reasons I went with SmugMug was because they print these sizes and eliminate the need to crop. But I have the hardest time finding frames!!!

Why is this? Why do most photo printers only have sizes that require cropping? And as a result, frame suppliers only carry frames for cropped photos. Am I missing something? I've been struggling with this for years but never really faced the problem.

So...Can anyone recommend an online framing company?

Thanks!

Frame Destination Quality Frames and Mats

Here you are. Good products, pricing, and people.

Sam
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    Frame Destination Quality Frames and Mats

Here you are. Good products, pricing, and people.

Sam

Is it possible to get the frames without the mat? I've checked all over their website and it doesn't look possible.

Thanks for the link!

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    Try http://www.LightimpressionsDirect.com

They sell precut,hinged window mats for 8x12, 11x14, 12x18, 16x24 in packages of five. They also offer "custom" cut window mats for a very nominal fee.

This place also offers frame sections or complete frame kits. I often just go to Michaels hobby stores when they have metal frames at 50% discount sales.

Hope that helps out.

arroyoshark - Thanks for the link!

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Is it possible to get the frames without the mat? I've checked all over their website and it doesn't look possible.

Thanks for the link!

Touch,

To date I have always ordered the frames with mats, and foam core as a set.

Curious........... why not order with mat, and backing included?

If you have any questions like this send them an e-mail, or call.

Sam
  • Options
    fdifdi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Hi Kevin,

Those sizes you mentioned are exactly why I founded Frame Destination, Inc. after I bought an Epson 2200 printer and started printing my own “uncropped” images before the labs caught on. We do sell frames without mats. Right now the only ones on the websites are our ready-made frames which are in 13x19 and 12x18. We do sell all our other frames without mat but you have to call or email that order in. We have a new website in the works that will support ordering all the parts of a frame separately.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Picture Frames Destination, Inc.
    Facebook
    My Picture Framing Blog
    Rebel T2i, 100mm/2.8, 28-105mm
    100-300mm, 17-35mm
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    fdi wrote:
    Hi Kevin,

Those sizes you mentioned are exactly why I founded Frame Destination, Inc. after I bought an Epson 2200 printer and started printing my own “uncropped” images before the labs caught on. We do sell frames without mats. Right now the only ones on the websites are our ready-made frames which are in 13x19 and 12x18. We do sell all our other frames without mat but you have to call or email that order in. We have a new website in the works that will support ordering all the parts of a frame separately.

Cheers,
    Mark

WOW! That's what I call customer service!

Thank you for clearing that up. I'll give you guys a call tomorrow and check on prices. Right now, I need ~10 (not sure how many they'll order) 16x24 black frames, no preference on material, whatever is cheaper!:D

Do you have choices in glass such as non-glare?

Thank you!

- Kevin
  • Options
    arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    fdi wrote:
    Hi Kevin,

Cheers,
    Mark

Nice site, and fair pricing.

I have enjoyed being able to get 5-packs of precut mount board with hinged window mats for my student work. I tend to use 16 x 20 with either 8-1/2x11 or 11x14 windows (nominal) and 18 x 24 boards with 12x18 window. I didn't see offerings like that on your site.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • Options
    fdifdi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    We have non-glare acrylic on the website but we can also do non-glare glass. Non-glare glass cost is in between regular acrylic and non-glare acrylic. Both are etched surface meaning there is a slight loss in sharpness depending on the distance between the print and glazing. I suggest the Nielsen 117 frames. They have a nice elegant look, they are durable, inexpensive and many people mistake them for wood.

We currently sell mats, foamboard, and hinging tape separately. I am planning on reselling Nielsen pre-cut mats and I am open for suggestions on other companies.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Picture Frames Destination, Inc.
    Facebook
    My Picture Framing Blog
    Rebel T2i, 100mm/2.8, 28-105mm
    100-300mm, 17-35mm
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    fdi wrote:
    We have non-glare acrylic on the website but we can also do non-glare glass. Non-glare glass cost is in between regular acrylic and non-glare acrylic. Both are etched surface meaning there is a slight loss in sharpness depending on the distance between the print and glazing. I suggest the Nielsen 117 frames. They have a nice elegant look, they are durable, inexpensive and many people mistake them for wood.

We currently sell mats, foamboard, and hinging tape separately. I am planning on reselling Nielsen pre-cut mats and I am open for suggestions on other companies.

Cheers,
    Mark

Thanks Mark!

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    fdi wrote:

Cheers,
    Mark

Mark - sent an email on Friday. Still waiting for a response.

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Mark - sent an email on Friday. Still waiting for a response.

Touch,

Mark and his wife are great people but very busy small business owners. Send him another e-mail or just call.

Sam