Multiple sites

PaulSpotPaulSpot Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited June 8, 2006 in SmugMug Support
As a preface, I'd like to say that I realize that what I'm doing isn't very common, so I'm sure there isn't much direct support for what I want to do ;)

I have a site already filled in with bunches of pictures, descriptions, and tags (rock). I'm setting up another site with photos for my extended family... a lot of the photos I already have on my site would be good for this too, but not all of them (what happens in Vegas... right?)

So. Is there any good way to copy galleries over to the other site, retaining the keywords and captions that took me so long to put in?

Also, just FYI, since I own both sites it was kind of a pain to have to use two seperate email addresses... I really only use one and had to set up another one just so I could have this second account (and give y'all more money). Probably not too common, but it'd be nice if I had an easier way to fork over my cash from one account.

Thanks for any suggestions!
-Paul

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    PaulSpot wrote:
    As a preface, I'd like to say that I realize that what I'm doing isn't very common, so I'm sure there isn't much direct support for what I want to do ;)

I have a site already filled in with bunches of pictures, descriptions, and tags (rock). I'm setting up another site with photos for my extended family... a lot of the photos I already have on my site would be good for this too, but not all of them (what happens in Vegas... right?)

So. Is there any good way to copy galleries over to the other site, retaining the keywords and captions that took me so long to put in?

Also, just FYI, since I own both sites it was kind of a pain to have to use two seperate email addresses... I really only use one and had to set up another one just so I could have this second account (and give y'all more money). Probably not too common, but it'd be nice if I had an easier way to fork over my cash from one account.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thanks for the suggestion, I believe you wrote us on the help desk about the two email addresses - I wish I had a different answer for you but I don't, I'm sorry.

As to moving galleries, we can do that for you no problem. You simply need to email us at the help desk with the gallery names and numbers and where you want them to be moved to - we're happy to do it!
  • PaulSpotPaulSpot Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Actually this is the first time I contacted you about it; guess I'm not alone after all ;)

Well that's cool; yeah I'll put together a big list of galleries... though I hate to be a pain, and I'll probably need to do it regularly. Is there anything that might help me going forward, so that I only have to put in keywords/captions once without having to nag you busy guys?

Thanks for the prompt response, as always!
    -Paul
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    PaulSpot wrote:
    ... Is there anything that might help me going forward, so that I only have to put in keywords/captions once ...

My suggestion is to enter your keywords and captions PRIOR to uploading your images. The IPTC standard was created specifically to keep the metadata with the image, regardless of where it was transmitted.

There are many programs that can read and write IPTC data, e.g., Photoshop, ThumbsPlus, etc. See also:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=289431&postcount=10

Good luck.
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    FYI, I just posted a more thorough write-up on embedding captions and keywords within the image files in this post

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35616
  • PaulSpotPaulSpot Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    FYI, I just posted a more thorough write-up on embedding captions and keywords within the image files in this post

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35616

Thanks for taking the time to put that together, I'll check it out for sure! Yeah, having keyword data in my local files seems really smart in general, you never know where else I might want to make use of such data, or how smugmug sites I might put my pictures on (come on family, buy in already...).
    -Paul