Getting Post-Edited Prints

purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited June 9, 2006 in Finishing School
Okay, so I have a series of naive questions to ask...

Now that I finally have the equipment to take great quality photographs, I'm going to be wanting prints of a lot of the work I do for portfolio purposes. The thing is, I've never made prints of my work (at least not quality prints).

See, during photoshop editing, I might usually downsize or crop a picture. I almost always downsize because it is easier to work with a photo that isn't on a large scale (I usually downsize the length no greater than 1000 pixels). The problem is, I noticed that after ordering prints online, they seem overprocessed and stretched to fit the page. Does this mean that I shouldn't be downsizing or cropping my images because they don't fit the page? Because I made sure that the photograph was the same size or larger than a sheet of 8x11 paper... yet it still looked over-processeed?

What do I need to do to make my edited photos to have the same quality in prints as untouched photographs? Also, where is the best place to get quality, 8x11 prints?

Please help!
Purified Photography
Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    I'm not going to attempt to answer all of your questions, but I'll tell you this, Mpix has some very good quality printing. On canvas, matte board, metallic papers...I have used them quite often, and always uploaded the full size jpeg, no matter what size print I wanted. I have gotten a 20x30 metallic paper, matte board print, of a motocross racer, and it looks great!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    purified wrote:
    What do I need to do to make my edited photos to have the same quality in prints as untouched photographs? Also, where is the best place to get quality, 8x11 prints?

Please help!

You need to work with the full rez image, you need to learn how to process to improve your image but also not degrade it noticeably. There is so much available here, check out the how to link in the top navbar of dgrin for a good place to start. Ask specific quesions, general ones are harder to answer and the answers you get will be less useful.

smugmug is a great place to bet prints, up to 30x40. Guaranteed--they reprint or return your money if you're not satisfied--even if it's your own fault.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited June 8, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    You need to work with the full rez image, you need to learn how to process to improve your image but also not degrade it noticeably. There is so much available here, check out the how to link in the top navbar of dgrin for a good place to start. Ask specific quesions, general ones are harder to answer and the answers you get will be less useful.

smugmug is a great place to bet prints, up to 30x40. Guaranteed--they reprint or return your money if you're not satisfied--even if it's your own fault.

My SmugPrints have been great, but Mpix does some things that Smug doesn't...canvas, matte board.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    Kelly, the important things for you to do with each image are:

1) Set a black point. It'll be a rare image that doesn't have a black point. It's in the tutes.

2) Adjust curves to enhance the contrast in the area of interest. That is, you want the steepest part of your curve in the are you want to draw attention to. Also in the tutes.

3) Sharpening. Go easy with it, follow the tutes, and you'll be fine.

Those are the basics, that'll get you started. There's so much more to learn. Maybe pick up a few books (click on books in the dgrin navbar for some ideas).

And like I said, come back with specific questions.

Do you have your new camera yet?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    I do a lot of printing at home with a Canon i9900, but when I need to I have used MPIX online. As stated here SmugMug also does great prints.

My advice: Always use the full resolution image. If your camera is a 2 to 3 ratio then without any cropping your photos will be a natural size of 4X6, 6X9, 8X12, 16X 24, 20X30. Afer you have completed your post processing, and are placing your order, make sure you specify "no corrections"! The over processing look can be due to the printer preforming color corection, and additional sharpening on top of your processing.

If you have a photo that is a 2 to 3 ratio, and order a 8X10 which is a different aspect ratio the printer will ether crop it or maybe streach or squeese to make it fit the paper.

I always size my photos in PS to the exact size I want printed. Then send it off.

I hope this helps.

Sam
    edited June 9, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    If you have a photo that is a 2 to 3 ratio, and order a 8X10 which is a different aspect ratio the printer will ether crop it or maybe streach or squeese to make it fit the paper.

Mpix lets you adjust the crop of a print on-line, just like Smug too.