Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    I'd recommend, to also look for a Velbon Sherpa 641 carbon firbre,
    it's very comparable to gitzo 1228 at 1/3rd of the price. In my eyes
    the ultimate solution for light traveling (it works just beautifully with
    the acratech ultimate ballhead btw.) If you remove the center
    column you'll get a ~1kg tripod at costs of max height.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited June 10, 2006
    Just a heads up. I merged the two threads on tripod help.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    My Gitzo 2220 shipped out this morning. I used the UPS 3-5 day option when I ordered on Friday. It shipped out today and it says 3 day select so it should be here by Thursday. The ball head I got off ebay has also shipped and is expected to get here Thursday also. Yay!
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    joelpaezjoelpaez Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 20, 2010
    Red Bull wrote: »
    I've been thinking about a new tripod since the one I have now has 2 broken legs (a little piece of the leg clamp snapped off when I was pushing it in to lock the legs.) The one I have now is actually quite old. It's a Slik Universal U 112, my mom's dad used to use it. It has been fine for what I use it for, but I can't use it fully extended.

I've been reading the numerous tripod threads on here and I still have no clue about this stuff! I'm guessing that for a good tripod I will be looking at spending at least $150-$200? That's about my budget.

I read somewhere that the height of the tripod should be about eye level without the column extended. Is this true? The tripods I have looked at are all about 60 inches with the column extended. I'm about 5' 11". This seems like it may be a bit short.

What is the advantage of a ball head vs. a pan/tilt head? The pan/tilt head looks like it may be easier in the fact that it looks like it is easier to keep it level. For my use, I would be using it for mostly night photos.

What would you suggest in the $200 range? Is this enough money to get a decent tripod and head? Also, quick release is a must.

And also, what's the deal with plates? I've heard of them, but are they a required item?

Do you still have the SLIK U112 Tripod?
  • Options
    dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    for that price range i think slik would be great. slik 700 dx or 780 dx :D
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 20, 2010
    Do you guys realize this thread started over 4 years ago...
    You'll probably not get an answer from the OP.:D
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    Now that the topic has bumped up again! Haha. I still have the Slik although I don't use it. If I do, I don't extend the legs because of the broken tabs.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.