Options

Interesting Browser Overview

2»

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Well I grew up on windows, I guess it's not hard to see why I'm not that picky about looks lol3.gif

And, after 3 minutes of playing with Opera, I'm split. Lots of cool features, fast renders, and yes, I could see how customizing it is a bit non-intuitive. I wouldn't slam it like you did, though. I could definitely see someone liking it. I'm not gonna use it. I've got my own craptacular browser in Safari!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    Opera's got some growing up to do UI-wise. I'm okay with its rendering (finally...) but I'm not hip on its rendering. There are Opera freakazoids out there though so I guess it can grow on you after a while. Playing with IE7, I'd say that they're going to continue to hold the market share with that browser. Thank god it's finally CSS compliant (and PNG friendly!) at least. I don't like its UI at all though. Firefox makes the most sense out of any browser I've tested. I dig safari's rendering of RSS feeds. So simple mozilla, c'mon get on the boat!

Lots of growing to do in all the browsers. Hopefully things get better and better for webdesigner/developer folks. That's mostly what I care about.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Bummer, it's a work computer, no access to Start/Run.

This would probably explain it.

The people at Mozilla don't seem to have developed their browser for proper priviledge managed execution under Windows. Ironic really. Basically large chunks of their browser seem utterly ***** if you run them on a properly secured Windows machine.

I am currently doing test case analysis on 3 suspected security flaws before submitting them to Mozilla. One is like an IE cross-domain vulnerability only much more stupid, and only occurs on a secure Windows machine, as opposed to an all Administrator machine.

I am not amused by an organisation that made its reputation by criticising others making such hideously bad mistakes.

But of course, all this is just my opinion, and the multiple vulnerabilites I'm analysing might be anomolies that only occur on my machines, so my opinion should not be counted for much.

However, given this, and their equally stupid extension under low-priviledge account problems, I wouldn't bother running Firefox on a properly secured Windows machine, it seems currently to be fighting entropy.

It's a shame, it seemed quite nice for a while.

Luke
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Thank god it's finally CSS compliant (and PNG friendly!) at least.

And indeed, we can largely thank Firefox for that. And I thank them very loudly for kicking MS up the posterior over such things.

clap.gif