experienced ebayers - is this dodgy?

Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited June 12, 2006 in Cameras
Hi there,

I'm definately being tempted by the savings buying 2nd hand, so thought I would look at ebay. So far I've only ever bought things for about $7.00 for fear of being ripped off, so spending a few $K scares the crap out of me.

Is this kind of thing dodgy? Has anyone bought from places like this? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-EOS-350D-SLR-Twin-Lens-You-Choose-Camera-Kit_W0QQitemZ7627402675QQcategoryZ43454QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tell me if I'm an idiot even considering it .... I really can't afford to be ripped off ....

Cheers, and thanks .....

Canon EOS 30D
Sigma 10-20
Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
Canon 18-55
Canon 50 f1.8
Canon 430EX

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    At a quick glance...it appears ok. But im not a big time ebayer...others in here will be able to see more than me.

If i was spending that sort of money in aust ..i would look for a local 2nd hand unit or better yet (in my opinion...pick up a low use 2nd hand 20D.

My 2 bob.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    Kate if you can't afford to be ripped off then I would avoid buying such an expensive item through Ebay unless you are famliar with the seller, or get good reviews from someone you know who has dealt with them. I have bought a lot off of Ebay and have never had a bad experience. I am always careful to read the feedback, looking for comments about damaged goods or slow service. I also go one step further and check the people who are buying from this seller. Click on the things they have purchased and try to keep an eye out for possible fraud. I cannot say for sure about this seller. But there are numerous buyers with huge amounts of purchases. One has over 40,000 indicating a possible wholesaler. I felt uncomfortable with the comments that I read. I had a strong sense that the comments seemed to be written by the same person. Also, the seller is located in Australia, but the item is being shipped from Malaysia. I tend to avoid international purchases. I, too, looked into buying a very similar deal on Ebay when I bought my camera. It had a similar feel to me, and I decided the risk was not worth the savings. Like I said, I cannot be sure, these are my own feelings. What matters is what are your feelings and why are you hesitant to buy? Trust your instincts. I use to buy tropical fish from overseas at one time and became a good customer to one seller. This seller told me that lots of the other sellers set up bidding wars on their own products to encourage higher prices. So even if the reviews are positive, it isn't a sure thing that they are on the up and up.
    edited June 9, 2006
    Looking at it again

Pretty well 100% of these sorts of camera purchases on the Australian Ebay come from Malaysia/Hong Kong/asia etc. So the place of origin is quite normal. Also a lot of Australian sellers sell from there but are based in Australia.

I have spent $1100 with an asian ebayer before..no problems but i sweated it out for a few days. Would i do it again with the amount of scammers im reading about these days ..not for me anyway. Im with Saurora now...if i cant afford to loose it...i wont do it. Not to save a few hundred anyway.
  • leekleek Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    Not sure about the eBay retailer that you mentioned, but I have had (and know a lot of other people who have had) very positive experiences with Hong Kong Supplies on eBay...
    I've actually met the proprietor Mr Poon and he regularly travels out to Australia to meet his customers from another photography forum that I frequent...

I'm not promoting them or anything, but just wanted you to rest assured that you can trust them...
    Cheers, John

Leek's Smugmug Gallery
    Nikon D200, D70; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4; 18-70mm; 105mm; 80-400VR; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
  • Cliff PhotoCliff Photo Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Looking at it again

Pretty well 100% of these sorts of camera purchases on the Australian Ebay come from Malaysia/Hong Kong/asia etc. So the place of origin is quite normal. Also a lot of Australian sellers sell from there but are based in Australia.

I have spent $1100 with an asian ebayer before..no problems but i sweated it out for a few days. Would i do it again with the amount of scammers im reading about these days ..not for me anyway. Im with Saurora now...if i cant afford to loose it...i wont do it. Not to save a few hundred anyway.

Looks to be fine to me, they have lots of recent positive feedback. I don't like when the have "canned" photos of the item and you don't get to see the real goods however...

Nikon shooter: D200, Tokina 12-24, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 VR 2.8, 50 1.4 :click
    edited June 9, 2006
    leek wrote:
    Not sure about the eBay retailer that you mentioned, but I have had (and know a lot of other people who have had) very positive experiences with Hong Kong Supplies on eBay...
    I've actually met the proprietor Mr Poon and he regularly travels out to Australia to meet his customers from another photography forum that I frequent...

I'm not promoting them or anything, but just wanted you to rest assured that you can trust them...
    Thats good to know leek. I'll keep that ebayer in my bookmarks. There is as good a recommendation as you need Head in the Clouds.
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 9, 2006
    Kate,

Being an aussie myself, I know full well what you are going through. Prices in Australia are crazy, and I don't blame you for looking else where for 2nd hand stuff.

I reckon you might be better checking out the Flea Market here on dgrin. There are alot of reputible sellers and some great bargains to get. I picked up a couple of near-new lenses last year...with a total saving of around US$700 on the new lenses.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    I think I would feel OK about it. Not great mind, but OK. For that kind of money I (just personaly) want an ebayer with at least 4 digit feedback. But since you are both in the same country that gives an added level of security.

If you want to go ahead with this purchase, I would definately pay thru Paypal. Paypal is absolutely BRUTAL with the hint of seller fraud. I had a $50 dollar purchase thru yahoo auction that went bad.

There are 2 eBay camera sellers who I can personally recomend (both in the US though)

I have spent over $2000 with Cameta
    http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=cametaauctions&item=-1&frm=1883
    and
    I have spent about $300 with 47th street photo
    http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=47st.photo

Good Luck!
    Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
  • k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    i have dealt with people on e bay since 2000 and have purchased over 200 different items from automobiles to jewelery, cameras, etc and have never been ripped by anyone. my only vice is if they dont take paypal, i wont buy. but thats my personal preference, and when using paypal its insured. so i would definately check the feedback first and if under 100 ready every one to see what buyers had to say. its like anything else in life really a leap of faith and a little luck.
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited June 9, 2006
    It appears that this seller has had 2 negative responses in 400 sales, which is not too bad. Then again, why not buy from a proven leader in photographic merchandise?

B and H, one of the premiere photo stores on the planet, has the 350XT for $650, after rebate, with the "kit" lens. At current exchange rates of 1.3459AUD/USD that's around $875AUD, leaving around $475AUD/$350USD for a lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=371191&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

You can get the APO version of the Sigma for $200USD, which stiil leaves you with around $111AUD/$150USD better price than the EBay guy.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=391074&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Did I figure that correctly? Are there other issues I'm missing?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    Seller looks OK. Feedback passes my sniff test. Has sold similar product in recent past. If you're concerned, try to get in touch with folks who've bought cameras from this seller, see what they have to say. There are a number of them on the first page of his buyer feedback.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited June 9, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    B and H, one of the premiere photo stores on the planet,

ziggy53

B&H would have ALL my biz & a lot of other Australians if they took credit card payment from us.
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Seller looks OK. Feedback passes my sniff test. Has sold similar product in recent past. If you're concerned, try to get in touch with folks who've bought cameras from this seller, see what they have to say. There are a number of them on the first page of his buyer feedback.

Good call wxwax. I also agree since the seller has been around for some time. I'm always suspicious of those quick building feedback types who havent been around for more than a few months. But this seller looks good. Happy buying! thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    A HUGE thanks to all those who took time to reply. I'm still hesitant, but I will compare with B&H and see how I go.

A question for some Aussie buyers - I've heard we have to pay some sort of duty when bringing in products from os? Anyone have any idea what this duty might be? - What about GST? .....

Double thanks in advance .... hope all the Aussies are having a good long weekend! (we're building a pizza oven - everyones invited!)

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
    edited June 10, 2006
    A HUGE thanks to all those who took time to reply. I'm still hesitant, but I will compare with B&H and see how I go.

A question for some Aussie buyers - I've heard we have to pay some sort of duty when bringing in products from os? Anyone have any idea what this duty might be? - What about GST? .....

Double thanks in advance .... hope all the Aussies are having a good long weekend! (we're building a pizza oven - everyones invited!)

From our customs site.

They are VERY awake to people buying electronics/cameras etc over the net so dont let anyone tell you that the goods may get through without you having to pay tax.

Imported goods with a value of more than A$1000
    • Irrespective of how your imported goods arrive in Australia, you will be required to lodge a formal Customs import declaration if their value is above $1,000, and to pay the calculated duty and taxes.<LI style="LIST-STYLE-TYPE: none">
      • duty, where applicable, is based on the classification of the goods within the Customs Tariff Act 1985. Goods and Services Tax (GST) is also payable on most goods at a rate of 10%. Refer to example 3.
    • Formal import declarations can be lodged either electronically or by document as follows:<LI style="LIST-STYLE-TYPE: none">
      • Electronic lodgement: obtain a digital certificate in order to communicate with Customs' electronic systems to complete a formal import declaration or engage the services of a customs broker (listed in the Yellow Pages); or
      • Documentary lodgement: go to the nearest Customs office and present the necessary documentation including evidence of identity.
    • Import declarations are subject to cost recovery charges.
    • Further information is available from the following Fact Sheets: Communicating electronically with Customs; Digital certificate and client registrations; Evidence of identity (EOI) for imports; and Import declarations. (Please refer to www.customs.gov.au/internet/site/page.cfm?u=5329)<LI style="LIST-STYLE-TYPE: none">
    • All imported goods are subject to the controls of the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Services (AQIS). More information on AQIS requirements is available at: www.aqis.gov.au
    Calculating duty and taxes

Example 1: Import of multiple low value packages of goods (for example, six packages each valued at $200)

AUD$ Customs value (6 x $200) (Cval) 1200.00 Customs duty (Duty) @ 5% of Cval 60.00 (Payable) International transport and insurance or postage (T&I) 150.00 Value of the Taxable Importation (VoTI) (Cval+Duty+T&I) 1410.00 Goods and Services Tax (GST) @ 10 per cent of the VoTI 141.00 (Payable) Total payable Duty + GST 201.00
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    I wouldn't worry at all about buying from that seller - they have a good feedback rating, and they are an ebay store which means they're a little bit more than just your average ebayer.

As for the camera itself, it says its in new condition...so i'm pretty sure a store like that wouldn't ruin their reputation on ebay by shipping you something other than what is advertised.

Usually when I'm looking at ebay for new stuff, I'll also check out:
    www.pricegrabber.com
    www.froogle.com

A lot of times I can find the same product from an online store cheaper than it is on ebay. However, I always look up the store I'm buying from at:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/ to make sure they have a good rating and won't be ripping me off. There's a lot of camera sites on the internet that advertise very low prices, but end up ripping you off in the long run.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM