A First Portrait Attempt

Helen SHelen S Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited June 10, 2006 in People
Taken 18 months ago at the Miss Popularity 2005 Contest in Burra, South Australia with permission, this was my first attempt at a portrait and is of Jade Collins. And while she didn't win the contest, New Zealand's Jade went on to win the title of World Miss University 2005.

While it might be noted that Jade looks a little red, her skin was indeed sunburnt, in one of our warmest late spring days for quite some time.

Any comments and/or criticisms are welcomed to try and improve this aspect of my photography.

1604b.jpg
www.ospreyphotography.com

Canon cameras, Lenses and accessories.

Comments

• Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    Oh-oh-oh!

Frankly, I couldnt pay attention to the quality of the photograph, because of Jade beauty... :-)
    Just super!!!!
    Spasibo (thank you in Russian) for sharing,
    Yuri
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    For me it's a nice shot, but for it to really work... the photo needs to explain why this beautiful woman has mud splattered all over her.
  • Helen SHelen S Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    Ah yes, should have mentioned why the lovely Jade was splattered in mud.

The Miss Popularity girls had to push an old Holden ute (that had a couple of flat tyres) out of a muddy creek as one of their "challenges." Needless to say they all got covered pretty much from head to toe. lol3.gif

The shot above was taken while Jade was having her interview about the challenge. Shade and reflectors were supplied by the studio crew and I took advantage of the moment. :):
    www.ospreyphotography.com

Canon cameras, Lenses and accessories.
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    Wow Helen! That is a very nice portrait! The exposure is spot on, the skin tone looks just perfect to me, the pic it's tack sharp and she is absolutely gorgeous! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif:D There is something extra with women in cowboy hats! It sure does the trick for me! :):

I don't think there is an absolute need to explain the mud, I think most people understand that there has been an contest of some sort. It's fun to trying to figure it out.....

Matty
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    The exposure & colors are great.....and she's a beauty! I'm not a fan of her expression though (that's obviously not a technical critique) but overall it's a very nice shot! thumb.gif