Options

Sad hummingbird story

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited June 12, 2006 in Wildlife
Yesterday I pulled into the driveway after work and as I looked through the garage and to the window at the other end, I saw the silhouette of a small bird. I've spotted some hummers a couple times at the new place (even though we don't have a feeder out) so I jumped off the bike and ran around the house to see if it was still in the backyard. It was still there, only there was INSIDE the window! I ran back into the garage to find the poor guy banging up against the window and the shade. To visualize this, you need to realize I'm in my full riding gear (jacket, gloves, overpants, helmet)... I climbed up onto my workbench to get at the top of the window where it was. He had enough energy to evade me there and fly up into the rafters of the garage. The chase began.

I took my helmet off at this point, as I had proceded to bang it on my lamp already. Ouch.

He settled in a rafter, finally, poor guy banged around quite a bit. So I had time to take the restrictive gear off, pull the ladder down and head up after him. I just about had my hand around him when he took flight again, but he didn't make it far, and ended up clinging to my pant leg.

So there I am in the corner of the garage, on top of a 6' ladder with one hand clasped around my leg. T has already grabbed the camera at this point and is documenting.

74538182-M.jpg

I managed to get the bird to let go of my leg and had it completely in my hand before I climbed down. I was really afraid of hurting it - it was so small!

74538183-M.jpg

T had meanwhile dug out our old feeder and made up some food. He had to be exhausted and hungry, so I tried to get him to eat a little bit.

74538184-M.jpg

Such a tiny, scared, but beautiful bird - male, it has the bright ruby-throat (sorry for the blur, T is a bit scared of fast moving small critters):

74538185-M.jpg

He wasn't eating, so we got a smaller box and made a little nest that I gently put him in.

74538187-M.jpg

At this point, fast-thinking T was already in the house calling vets - no luck though, it was 7pm already. So we put the box on the deck so it could be free outside, but we could watch it. We also put one of our best and brightest hanging flowers next to it. T was convinced this wasn't enough, so she googled up a storm and found some great info. Apparently, since he was all balled up, he was tired and scared, but more importantly, cold! So I ran to get my flood lamp and soon we had his nest up to a toasty 75 degrees (yes, I even instrumented it with a thermometer). I also got a dropper and tried feeding it as the wildlife page said - putting his beak right in the filled dropper. But we didn't see him eat.

10 or so minutes later, as promised, he was warming up and looking less like a cottonball, he was starting to look really good!

74538188-M.jpg

74538189-M.jpg

Just after this photo, I tried to feed him again, still no luck. But then Tara saw him start blinking his eyes and he opened his beak a few times. I kept the dropper filled with food close, but he still wouldn't take it. Ok, keep resting little guy...

74538192-M.jpg

Next we got very excited as his eyes started blinking again and he seemed alert and warm! Then T jumped back because he flipped open his wings and flapped them a few times. Great, he's stretching! He then twisted his head all around, so much we thought his poor little head was going to pop off, but he was stretching his wings too, so we thought he was trying to warm up even more. Birds do that, right? I didn't want to scare him more by feeding him, so we just watched another minute.

At this point he once again flapped, pretty quickly, but then he just stopped, his wings spread a bit, eyes opened, and tail flared. His beak drooped down and touched the nest for the first time...

And that was it.

74538195-M.jpg

He didn't move again. I turned the lamp off and took that final shot in the setting sunlight. We had just watched the sweet little thing die, and we had no idea why. I looked him over afterwards and he looked fine, legs, beak, wings, everything was in great shape. We thought we had done such a good job warming him up. I guess the ordeal was just too much for his tiny little heart. T cried a whole bunch as we brought it out and gave it a final home at the edge of our property among some small trees and wildflowers.

It was a sad friday night after that.
:cry
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited June 10, 2006
    Bummer. Seems like the little guy was just plain exhausted and not able to
    take in enough nourishment to get going again.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    About 15 years ago my wife and I had an almost identical experience. Unfortunate....but at least we tried. :cry

In my mind if we had done nothing he was a goner....for sure.nod.gif
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2006
    The only thing I could comfort T with was that at least he was in a warm nest rather than between the dark rafters in the garage.

bummer indeed. *sigh*
    Erik

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    Sad, recalls an incident from my youth when we tried to nurse a bird that had fallen from its nest. It did ok for a few days but the died. You did what you could. Shame because it was a beauty.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    Thru my youth I tried many times a similar tale, mainly I failed.

It's sad yes but it is what it is. The 2 of you provide him with care and comfort and your best efforts no one can ask for more.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited June 11, 2006
    How sad. You two did good to try to save the little dude.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    awww, he was so pretty though... oh well, i guess you did your best erik. i guess you're an okay guy after allmwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    Sad story Eric. At least you made the effort to help the little guy out. A lot of people would never have even tried to help.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    Great effort EriK sorry the little guy didn't make it. Something magical about hummingbirds..
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    awww, he was so pretty though... oh well, i guess you did your best erik. i guess you're an okay guy after allmwink.gif
    Critters I love, it's people that make my a** twitch.

:hide

thanks for the comments - T especially appreciates them. She has way more feelings and emotions than I'll ever have.
    thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    Oh, what a sad story, Erik! Such a beautiful little guy. I "rescued" a little goldfinch last spring that had fallen from it's nest. He was so tiny and totally naked without feathers. I only kept him overnight. Feeding a baby bird is so stressful when you aren't sure what you are doing. Fortunately, I found a gal who rescues birds and she came and collected him the next day. I never heard whether or not he made it, but she said he "looked good". Crows had ravaged his nest so we could not return him. Your photos are great....the last one is a real tear-jerker. You gave it your best try. :cry
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    Thank you for the story and the help you offered to this tiny being.

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Thanks Doc for trying.Me loves them little fellowsthumb.gif