Lexar ate my Mac...

Al GomasAl Gomas Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 19, 2006 in Finishing School
I borrowed a 2gig card from a friend which turned out to be one of the buggy cards unfriendly to the Canon Rebel XT.
When I attempted to download photos into my Mac, it crashed repeatedly, even when I used the Lexar Image Rescue software.
It has affected the database and now when I try to rate or label a file, I get warning messages like this one:
"Labels and ratings are stored in XMP Metadata. If a file has no way to store XMP, they be stored in cache only."

I tried to reset Bridge to default settings to restore the lost functionality and got this message:
"There was a problem with the database and ".loptions" was not updated correctly. This may affect searches."

Any help??? http://www.dgrin.com/images/smilies/ne_nau.gif

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    Sounds like the XMP files are corrupt. Try deleting all of them that are from the bad card.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    hmmm
    WOW a mac can crash!! they must be using microsoft for some coding!! lol... Sorry being a pc person all my mac friends say a mac will stop or crash when he** freezes over.
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 10, 2006
    MACs can crash - Mine does some time

Maybe 1/50th as often as my XP boxes though.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    I looked into buying a MAC, but decided against it. I was informed I would need to sign a non-disclosure agreement with severe financial penalties if I reviled any of the MAC secrets of the inner sanctum. Also I thought the requirement to go to a MAC retreat in the desert for two weeks was a little strange. I’m not saying anything about a cult, but the sales people at the MAC store all seemed to have a pasted on smile and a fanatical vacant look in their eyes, that down right frightened me.

Think I’ll stick with the other brand, thank you.

Sam
    edited June 11, 2006
    WOW a mac can crash!! they must be using microsoft for some coding!! lol... Sorry being a pc person all my mac friends say a mac will stop or crash when he** freezes over.

We'll have to see what Al says, but I doubt that the Mac itself crashed. Most likely it was only Bridge. Applications do crash, but I don't remember the last time the OS crashed. It's protected and all that.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Al GomasAl Gomas Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 12, 2006
    My Mac crashes with regularity. I have many hours logged on Apple Care...The local Apple Store replaced my defective Apple ram that was causing something called a kernel panic which made the fans sound like a plane taking off...
    This time though, the culprit is the Lexar card. It locked/froze/hung my camera and it did the same to my Mac. I had to physically switch the damn thing off.
    Tomorrow I am off the Apple Store to buy the $100 Apple Procare service pack which entitles me to special Apple Love whenever I have a sour Apple Problem...I intend to erase/reformat the hard drive and do fresh installs of the OS and all my other software.

DavidTO wrote:
    We'll have to see what Al says, but I doubt that the Mac itself crashed. Most likely it was only Bridge. Applications do crash, but I don't remember the last time the OS crashed. It's protected and all that.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I don't remember the last time the OS crashed.

You can't remember you've seen a kernel panic screen? Man, your Mac is way better than mine.

58266952-M.jpg
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited June 12, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    You can't remember you've seen a kernel panic screen? Man, your Mac is way better than mine.

58266952-M.jpg

Oh, I've seen it. It's just been a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time since I've seen it. And the last time I did, it was bad RAM.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 12, 2006
    marlof wrote:

Marlo, I would say that if you're experiencing kernel panics that there is something wrong. This is not normal behavior. Wrong as in: you could fix it, either by troubleshooting the software, the hard drive directory or other hardware. No one on Tiger should be getting kernel panics. They are very very few and far between. I wouldn't put up with it, but find the source of the problem.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Marlo, I would say that if you're experiencing kernel panics that there is something wrong. This is not normal behavior. Wrong as in: you could fix it, either by troubleshooting the software, the hard drive directory or other hardware. No one on Tiger should be getting kernel panics. They are very very few and far between. I wouldn't put up with it, but find the source of the problem.

Oh, if I experience them, I do hunt for and find the solution. Just as I find the solution when I experience a BSOD on my windows box. All I want to say is that I do see that bloody screen sometimes (usually caused by badly written software, sometimes even when it is an Apple provided update....), and I do have to troubleshoot my user friendly machine.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Oh, I've seen it. It's just been a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time since I've seen it. And the last time I did, it was bad RAM.

Laughing.gif, even your kernel panic screen is cuddly and explanatory, mine usually has splays of nasty memory addresses, messages about core-dumps and such things. You don't get the explanation until you reboot.

(Though this might be as I run XP in debug mode)

Seriously though, you really shouldn't be seeing thing kind of message unless you have hardware problems, the only non-hardware cause of this on an XP Box that I've seen sufficently recently that I can remember is faulty graphics drivers.

Luke
  • dj_pshooterdj_pshooter Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 19, 2006
    I've gotten kernel panics but not as often as my dell box, try 20 cases of BSOD syndrome. MACs are deceptible to spyware more than PCs but less deceptible to viruses by far. 200 known compared to 1,000 times that for PC's. PCs for games, MSN, and office, Mac for the multimedia production.