What are the chances?

CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
edited June 11, 2006 in Cameras
After a whole month, I finally received my Canon 28-105mm 3.5 from the factory. I had to send it off because it squeaked from the first day on when it attempts to focus. They had to replace the inner housing ring. A part that had to come from overseas.

Well it looks like I'm going to have to send it off again because it is taking so long to focus...about 5 seconds...and it still does not focus. I went outside with it this afternoon and there was plenty of light. Standing about 10 feet, I tried taking a picture of the brick wall on my house and all the lens would do was move back and forth between 1.5m and 3.5m. Finally when it did lock in it was so blurry. Sometimes it would not even focus when I moved off the brick wall to another object. It seems like it is locked up and I can hear a clicking noise. Then I have to manually move the focus ring so it can try and hunt some more.

I'm pissed off and I know it is probably going to take another month to get it back if I send it off. :bash

Any chance Canon will just send me a new lens and keep this lemon? I'm tired of paying the shipping and insurance cost and I tired of taking pictures with my 50mm prime.
Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    RTP wrote:
    After a whole month, I finally received my Canon 28-105mm 3.5 from the factory. I had to send it off because it squeaked from the first day on when it attempts to focus. They had to replace the inner housing ring. A part that had to come from overseas.

Well it looks like I'm going to have to send it off again because it is taking so long to focus...about 5 seconds...and it still does not focus. I went outside with it this afternoon and there was plenty of light. Standing about 10 feet, I tried taking a picture of the brick wall on my house and all the lens would do was move back and forth between 1.5m and 3.5m. Finally when it did lock in it was so blurry. Sometimes it would not even focus when I moved off the brick wall to another object. It seems like it is locked up and I can hear a clicking noise. Then I have to manually move the focus ring so it can try and hunt some more.

I'm pissed off and I know it is probably going to take another month to get it back if I send it off. :bash

Any chance Canon will just send me a new lens and keep this lemon? I'm tired of paying the shipping and insurance cost and I tired of taking pictures with my 50mm prime.

That sucks. I would contact them, tell them the problem, and maybe, just maybe they will make it right. How old is the lens? I would hope they would consider trading you...since the already did some work...well kind of.

Until it's fixed look at the bright side, shooting with the 50 will make you think more, look more, move more, try more.....be more....better!:D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    I received the lens towards the end of Feb 2006 from B&H. It had a slight squeak when I took it out the box. Then it went away for a couple of days. Then it started getting worse and very irratating. After I decided that I could part with it and not really need it, I decided to send it off on the 1st of May.

The summer is here, birthdays, and vactions are around the corner. I need a lens that will work.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2