LL Baseball Contract Question

AlonerAloner Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited June 13, 2006 in Sports
My question isn't really a photography related one but still involves a photographer. I'm a Little League umpire and the league I call at has a contracted photographer to get the T&I shots and some action. The other night I was calling and one of the coaches was taking pictures with a little point and shoot but he had field access. Now i'm not sure on the details of the photographers contract but I would imagine he would have that he could be the only one allowed on the field, but would a coach taking pictures from the side really count as someone else since he has a right to be on the field (yes, I know, to coach, not take pictures). I didn't know if I should stop him or not (his flash was pissing me off a little too :wink). Would you guys who do contracted work for sports teams ask a coach to stop shooting if you were supposed to have sole access to the field?

One other question, at the beginning of the year I was told there would be a contracted photographer, would he expect the umps to to not allow someone other than himself to shoot and try to sell at the games? I've never been paid to shoot a sporting event so i'm not sure what I would expect from the officials.

ps. Sorry to make such a long post with no pics :rolleyes

Comments

• firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    Aloner wrote:
    My question isn't really a photography related one but still involves a photographer. I'm a Little League umpire and the league I call at has a contracted photographer to get the T&I shots and some action. The other night I was calling and one of the coaches was taking pictures with a little point and shoot but he had field access. Now i'm not sure on the details of the photographers contract but I would imagine he would have that he could be the only one allowed on the field, but would a coach taking pictures from the side really count as someone else since he has a right to be on the field (yes, I know, to coach, not take pictures). I didn't know if I should stop him or not (his flash was pissing me off a little too mwink.gif). Would you guys who do contracted work for sports teams ask a coach to stop shooting if you were supposed to have sole access to the field?

One other question, at the beginning of the year I was told there would be a contracted photographer, would he expect the umps to to not allow someone other than himself to shoot and try to sell at the games? I've never been paid to shoot a sporting event so i'm not sure what I would expect from the officials.

ps. Sorry to make such a long post with no pics rolleyes1.gif

It seems it would be weird to tell people to stop taking pictures of their kids. "NO you can't take pictures of your child". It's not a professional sporting event...or anything and even at professional sporting events they don't usually stop you from taking pictures these days.

I'm sure the professional photographer is going to takes photos that regular point and shoot parents are not able to achieve.
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    I agree with Kevin. If it's a public place* than anyone can take pictures of anything (the same thing that lets us enjoy our hobby/craft/profession). Even if I've been "contracted" by a team, league or the city to take pictures at the city's park, I can't stop anyone else from doing so as well.

A private establishment, or even a public one that's been 'rented' for a controlled event, can make rules that say nobody allowed in certain places or even no cameras allowed.

A controlled event can set rules - and (as far as I'm concerned anyway), everything inside the fences (and even in the nearby stands) is being controlled by the umpire. An ump is well within his rights, I think, to say "no flash" if he wants (though please don't spread the "it blinds them" meme). "For safety reasons, you see; we don't want the players getting distracted." Likewise he could say "coaches coach, photographers photograph - don't try to multitask on the field."

Just $.02 though, and I'm not a lawyer I just read a lot on the topic.

btw, are you letting photographers inside the fences? I hope they've got spotters with them; it'd be bad to be focusing on the 2nd baseman and get a foul line-drive in the side of the lens. Or the head.

*"public place," at least in the U.S., includes privately-owned spaces that are very much treated as public; there are lots of places where this topic's been discussed**

** the problem is that most of this discussion is within photographic circles; neither the general public nor the majority of law enforcement personnel have the time or interest to learn and understand.***

*** it's up to the photographer to decide if it's "the right time and place" to stick up for their rights and anger the crowd/event manager/property owner/police.
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    As a hockey referee, I would have to say that the photographers are not your problem contracted or otherwise. If the flash becomes an issue then I would say something as that can be very distracting. Outside of that not your problem. If the league wants to take issue with it then they are more than welcome to do so. Your concern is the game and the safety of the players. Just my $.02
  • AlonerAloner Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    Thanks for the replies guys, I just didn't know what the photographer would expect me to do. He seems like a really nice guy from the few times i've talked to him, plus he shoots Nikon, so he has to be cool! thumb.gif

and Steven, they are inside the fense but the design of the field allowes for a spot behind the dugout where you can shoot and not be in danger of stray balls.
  • BrycerBrycer Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    I think a lot of the local teams here hire a prof photographer who agrees to take 200 shots of the team over the weekend and provide the team with a CD. He is paid for the work. Some of the parents seem to love getting action shots of their players that they are unable to with their cameras. I would say the majority of parents still take pictures though. Usually not brave enough to chance getting hit by a ball.rolleyes1.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 13, 2006
    If you are a member of NASO, I would ask the question of them too (if
    you're not a member, look them up as for your money, you get a lot of
    extra liability insurance with your membership and a cool magazine called
    "Referee"--not much for the Hockey ref in there though). You may want
    to review the rule book for your national association (and the local
    league). There maybe guidelines you can follow in there.

If it were me, I would ask the guy to stop and the reason I would give is
    that it is a safety issue. As the umpire, you should have the right to make
    that call. The coach may not like your position but if he flashes the batter
    and the batter misses a pitch that hits him, it's a safety issue.

In USA Hockey, non team members/coaches are not allowed at the player's
    benches. I have asked photographers to move and used that rule as the
    reason. Usually, they're pretty cool about moving. But if they won't, I could
    stop the game and ask for them to be removed from the premises. I'd rather
    avoid the later though. With parents, they sometimes wait to give you a piece
    of their mind--which often results in their being asked not to come back.
    Ever.

Bottom line is that as the official, you will probably be held responsible if
    something does happen and what ever you can do to prevent it is a good
    thing (IMHO).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Both you and the photographer are employees of the league. Unless it's in your contract/job description to enforce the photographers contract, why do you care? Shouldn't it be up to him to enforce his own contract.

Rather than ask people what might be in his contract, wouldn't you be better off asking the photographer or the league what's in the contract. Enforcing something you don't have all the facts on makes you look bad which might influence someones opinion of you as a good future hire.

As for the flash, you need to ask is it really a problem for you, or is it an excuse to give the guy a hard time over a contract you don't really have all the facts on. If it's a safety issue, then it's a safety issue.

As for the coach taking pictures, I doubt he's doing so for profit. The reason a photographer would have an exclusive contract (if it even exists) is to protect his right to be the guy selling photos. As someone who works with a lot of athletes, I can attest to numerous reasons for taking video and photos. Most of the reasons a coach would be taking a photo would be to catch the athlete at his worst. Your buddies purpose is to catch him at his best.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!