Options

Gold Miner

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited November 7, 2004 in People
Met this gentelman in Ballarat, a small ghost town just outside of Death Valley. Comments welcome. Just taken in natural light.

Comments

• Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
    Fantastic portrait!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
    I was thinking Black n White too...

Hope you dont mind SAM...
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
    I think I prefer the color version of this shot. This is a great photograph!

How far is Death Valley from the Bay Area? I have it on my list for weekend trips, but have not researched it much yet.

Have you been to Bodie yet? I'm thinking about making a trip there shortly, but can't seem to free up an entire weekend until after the New Year. We get most of our visitors this time of year.

Hmm...maybe over thanksgiving. We don't have family here, so nothing keeping me tied down over the holidays.

Dave
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
    Too much lost in color, but you knew I'd say that.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 6, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Too much lost in color, but you knew I'd say that.

???? Don't you mean to say you prefer the color over the B&W? Its not like you to prefer B&W, John, unless the shooter in HCB
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I like it both ways ---- but the color version could stand closer cropping to my eye.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I was thinking Black n White too...

Hope you dont mind SAM...
    Greaper,

I don't mind at all that's why it's posted. I want to get a different view point. I tried B&W, but couldn't get what I wanted. Also for some reason the small version I posted lost some punch. The full size is better.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I think I prefer the color version of this shot. This is a great photograph!

How far is Death Valley from the Bay Area? I have it on my list for weekend trips, but have not researched it much yet.

Have you been to Bodie yet? I'm thinking about making a trip there shortly, but can't seem to free up an entire weekend until after the New Year. We get most of our visitors this time of year.

Hmm...maybe over thanksgiving. We don't have family here, so nothing keeping me tied down over the holidays.

Dave
    I don't remember the miles, but I wouldn't want to try it in less than 3 days. (more like 4) One day down, one day there, and one day back.
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
    Super shot, the definition in the wrinkles around the eyes, excellent. Those alone tell a story. B&W or Color, worthy of big praise. Good job.
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2004
    This guy's blue eyes are quite remarkable, keep it color.
  • Options
    JoRobertJoRobert Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2004
    Nothing is lost in the color, what's missing in the b&w is the blue eyes. A great work of art.

Joel
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    ???? Don't you mean to say you prefer the color over the B&W? Its not like you to prefer B&W, John, unless the shooter in HCB
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I like it both ways ---- but the color version could stand closer cropping to my eye.
    Yes, I meant that too much was lost in B&W. I do sometimes like B&W, but really there has to be logic behind it that I can understand. Sounds like this might be true with 20D in-camera B&W.
    If not now, when?