Options

early warning signs from the comp-

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited June 12, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
thought I could go longer but spent all day saturday and half of sunday trying to get things done and got nowhere-

time to check out the computers- my daughter has a vision comp at a decent price and they have excellent tech supprt-

I need a dual core athlon 64 bit frickanamajack and at least a 2gig ramadamdinger-

would I like a 19 inch flat vs dual monitors?-

gotta have somethin' that rocks-

gotta blow the kids outta the house with jeff air and janis joplin and talking heads and the who and otis and roy and the beach boys and some four tops and, please forgive me, some donna summer disco-

when summer ends get 'em started with white stripes-

oh yeah, back to the computer--

any suggestions, please?-

Comments

• Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    thought I could go longer but spent all day saturday and half of sunday trying to get things done and got nowhere-

time to check out the computers- my daughter has a vision comp at a decent price and they have excellent tech supprt-

I need a dual core athlon 64 bit frickanamajack and at least a 2gig ramadamdinger-

would I like a 19 inch flat vs dual monitors?-

gotta have somethin' that rocks-

gotta blow the kids outta the house with jeff air and janis joplin and talking heads and the who and otis and roy and the beach boys and some four tops and, please forgive me, some donna summer disco-

when summer ends get 'em started with white stripes-

oh yeah, back to the computer--

any suggestions, please?-

If you can wait another month or so the Intel Core Duo desktops will be out, and by all accounts out perform the Athlon dual core and will likely be cheaper.

If not, Velocity Micro, CyberPower, iBuypower, Monarch, and of course you can always build your own.

Also Dell will likely be blowing out the old P4 based dual core machines soon. If you're not a hard core gamer than this is also a good option.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    kini62 wrote:
    If you can wait another month or so the Intel Core Duo desktops will be out, and by all accounts out perform the Athlon dual core and will likely be cheaper.

If not, Velocity Micro, CyberPower, iBuypower, Monarch, and of course you can always build your own.

Also Dell will likely be blowing out the old P4 based dual core machines soon. If you're not a hard core gamer than this is also a good option.

thanks much for the heads up-

george
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    kini62 wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif

Good advice...

I'm doing this right now-watching...waiting....

Intel 'Conroe' dual cores are supposed to be released around July 23 I believe. Word is that Dell and the *other* big PC assemblers :D have first dibs on the first runs. Meaning: it will take awhile for them to be available at competitive prices for diy builders, and it will give them great incentive to dump their current inventory of P4 dual-cores (which have already been discounted significantly).

AMD meanwhile is still holding very tight to their pricing on AMD 64 X2 chips (for instance the X2 3800 is STILL at $397!), this despite the fact that they are changing over to a new socket (Am2).

Pound for pound (or ounce for ounce) the Intel P4 dual-cores offer the best-bang-for the buck at the moment, especially for Photoshop.

I'd recommend sitting tight for a few weeks and keeping your eye on prices. You should be able to score a very capable dual-core system pretty cheaply.

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    thanks much mongrel-

george
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Your Welcome...
    and I just came across this:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2800

It basically outlines AMD's counter-attack in the wake of Intel's price drops and release of the Conroe series of dual-cores.

Like I said in just over a month, we'll be able to purchase and put together some very nice boxes with either Intel or AMD chips at a *very* reasonable price thumb.gif

I'm keeping my eyes open for a $500 3.0Ghz dual core with 4GB of DDR or DDR2 :D

Won't be long now....
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...