NHRA from Route 66 raceway

52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited June 13, 2006 in Sports
If you're a fan of motorsports, you absolutely have to go see a NHRA event. This was my first time and I was amazed by the power of the top fuel cars. 1/4 mile in less than 4.5 seconds occasionally topping 330 mph, 0-100 mph in 0.8 seconds!
Everything shakes when they launch, I figured everything was going to be blury. The camera got a cleaner shot than I remember seeing as they went down the track. Gotta respect the photographers standing right on the wall, I don't know how they can handle it.
Here are a couple shots, I'll see if any of the others look better.
Night qualifying:
74879508-M.jpg

Night launch, ISO 3200 with the 70-200 2.8
74881885-M.jpg
Top fuel flames!
74879250-M.jpg

John Force burnout
74879145-L.jpg

Comments

• fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Those things are so cool looking. I've never had much interest in drags but the sheer power is breathtaking. We are about 6 miles from it but our house shakes when they run the drags out at IRP over Labor Day weekend every year. eek7.gif
  • gouldphotogouldphoto Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Nhra
    52Caddy wrote:
    If you're a fan of motorsports, you absolutely have to go see a NHRA event. This was my first time and I was amazed by the power of the top fuel cars. 1/4 mile in less than 4.5 seconds occasionally topping 330 mph, 0-100 mph in 0.8 seconds!
    Everything shakes when they launch, I figured everything was going to be blury. The camera got a cleaner shot than I remember seeing as they went down the track. Gotta respect the photographers standing right on the wall, I don't know how they can handle it.
    Here are a couple shots, I'll see if any of the others look better.
    Night qualifying:
    74879508-M.jpg

Night launch, ISO 3200 with the 70-200 2.8
    74881885-M.jpg
    Top fuel flames!
    74879250-M.jpg

John Force burnout
    74879145-L.jpg

Nice shots.
    Having had the opportunity to shoot the Southern Nationals from the wall, I can tell you, after the first face full of nitro and the burning stops it's not too bad umph.gif.

When top fuel goes by, you get hit with a shock wave and the temperature rises about 30 degrees.

Steve Gould
    http://www.gouldphoto.com
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    It is awesome! I've gone the last two years...to the fall session. I wasn't able to go this one, and since they aren't doing two in Joliet this year, I am going to miss out:cry .

I have a boat load of pics from the last two years.....too bad you can't feel the power when you look at them. Two years ago Force set a record going 333.58mph @ 4.665 seconds...it was soooooooo cool! I got his autograph too..even cooler.

Nice shots! I need to get a little blue vest next time! rolleyes1.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D