Urgent last minute challenge advice

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited June 12, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Already posted a challenge entry BUT decided to play with a shot from last week (desktop PC is dead till Dell guy's visit tomorrow - decided to try to edit this w/slow laptop)

New shot:
74970265-L.jpg

Old shot:
72943849-L.jpg

I've got about 25 minutes to decide. . . . HELP:dunno
john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    I like the second one a lot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Stay with the original, very original idea! :D
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    thanks - original one used - I wanted to love the new shot, worked hard to catch the moment but background was busy. But I still like it!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    thanks - original one used - I wanted to love the new shot, worked hard to catch the moment but background was busy. But I still like it!

Your quilt and horse shot is well done.
    See you for the next challenge, if not sooner.
    The H-D shot should work well!
  • Sandy FeetSandy Feet Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    A little late with my comment, I know....but I think you did well with the Harley pic. Just real curious, how did you go about the photo montage effect?
    I have an idea how i'd tackle it, but would love to know how you did it. Can I borrow your idea for a personal project, too?
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
    :thumb

http://imagesinsurfphotography.smugmug.com/
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Sandy Feet wrote:
    A little late with my comment, I know....but I think you did well with the Harley pic. Just real curious, how did you go about the photo montage effect?
    I have an idea how i'd tackle it, but would love to know how you did it. Can I borrow your idea for a personal project, too?

glad to share - it's a photoshop action but it requires quite a bit of work. It partially automates the process of doing a collage like this shot but there is still a lot of trial & error. I probably did this shot 5 or 6 different times to get it laid out and balance to the point that I was pleased. I need to find the name and website of the person who did the action. My main PC is broken (and PS is on that machine). The action is mentioned in last month's Shutterbug magazine too.

I'll get the info and post it here.

John
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Sandy FeetSandy Feet Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Thanks...I look forward to reading up on it.
    I only have Photoshop Elements, do you think I can do it with that?

I see that you are from Lancaster. My father was raised right outside of Lancaster in Washington Boro. I really miss going up there each year to see my grandmother. She lived right on the Sesquahana River (sp?). Last time we drove thru there was about 8 years ago. I hadn't been up there since grandma's funeral back in 1976. I was surprised how locked in time it was. Seems it hadn't changed much at all. I see you have a picture of the Hans Herr house amongst your popular photos....my grandma was a Herr. I believe she was buried in Quarryville, ever make it over that way? So pretty, lots of Amish stands back that way, also.
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
    :thumb

http://imagesinsurfphotography.smugmug.com/