Kayak adventure

pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
edited August 31, 2006 in Holy Macro
I recently moved to Reno and have been a little busy at work to post very often. Now my workload is getting easier its time to start posting again. I recently purchased a Kayak ( Tandem Variety ) for my Wife and I and have started touring some of the many lakes around the Reno / Tahoe area. The Tandem Kayak is often referred to as the Divorce Boat as many couples have difficulty getting on in one, to this date we have been successful in not getting to this stage yet. Anything is possible though. We first went to a small lake called Washoe lake.

73927604-M.jpg

After honing our skills on this smaller lake we ventured out onto Lake Tahoe.

74841033-M.jpg

There were many hidden beaches along a 5 mile stretch of the lake.
]
74910455-M.jpg

Many more pics of wildlife to process, we saw snakes and a Kestrel nest with the young still feeding. Ah Well back to some more PP.
Pete W
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Ohhhhh Wow
    pete w wrote:
    I recently moved to Reno and have been a little busy at work to post very often. Now my workload is getting easier its time to start posting again. I recently purchased a Kayak ( Tandem Variety ) for my Wife and I and have started touring some of the many lakes around the Reno / Tahoe area. The Tandem Kayak is often referred to as the Divorce Boat as many couples have difficulty getting on in one, to this date we have been successful in not getting to this stage yet. Anything is possible though. We first went to a small lake called Washoe lake.

After honing our skills on this smaller lake we ventured out onto Lake Tahoe.

There were many hidden beaches along a 5 mile stretch of the lake.

Many more pics of wildlife to process, we saw snakes and a Kestrel nest with the young still feeding. Ah Well back to some more PP.

Ohhhhhh wow check out that scenery eek7.gif gawwwwwd that is so pretty.
    Kyaking sounds like heaps of fun, and good exercise too.

So you got the best of both worlds there the beaches and the mountains......way to go! clap.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Hey beautiful pictures waiting for more
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Very nice and tranquil. I like the first one the best because there's no Yankee hat to mess it up. :D
    Chris
  • Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Very nice and tranquil. I like the first one the best because there's no Yankee hat to mess it up. :D

clap.gifMy thoughts exactly!clap.gif

Nice photos.
    -Mike
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    I've got to get my kayak out west. I have been paddling two to three times a week locally, but I need a big scenery change. Your photos make me want to travel even more.

Tomorrow night I am attending a roll clinic. :D I have rolled my kayak in the past, but I need a good refresher course.
  • pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Ohhhhhh wow check out that scenery eek7.gif gawwwwwd that is so pretty.
    Kayaking sounds like heaps of fun, and good exercise too.

So you got the best of both worlds there the beaches and the mountains......way to go! clap.gif Skippy (Australia)

Yea Skippy, lot of fun exercise and great Tahoe weather this time of year. Many Many lake to try here so i will keep posting as i get used to the camera in the boat.

Thanks Again
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

edited June 14, 2006
    Awais
    Hey beautiful pictures waiting for more

More coming as i get more accomplished in the boat. Thanks
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

edited June 14, 2006
    Now Now Chris
    ChrisJ wrote:

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif My Wife is an avid fan, watches most games, except when i can get her out on the boat at the weekends. Next time i'll leave the hat out, Maybe a Angels hat next timemwink.gif
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

edited June 14, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I've got to get my kayak out west. I have been paddling two to three times a week locally, but I need a big scenery change. Your photos make me want to travel even more.

Tomorrow night I am attending a roll clinic. :D I have rolled my kayak in the past, but I need a good refresher course.

:): Agree, I was in Tennessee for 5 years and the water was always muddy, now i have moved out westbiggrinbounce2.gif the water is crystal clear albeit a little chilly at times.

Good luck at the clinic.thumb.gif
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

edited June 14, 2006
    Michael.
    clap.gifMy thoughts exactly!clap.gif

Nice photos.

Thanks, NO HAT next timerolleyes1.gif
    Always gets a reaction.:D
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

edited June 14, 2006
    pete w wrote:
    :): Agree, I was in Tennessee for 5 years and the water was always muddy, now i have moved out westbiggrinbounce2.gif the water is crystal clear albeit a little chilly at times.

Good luck at the clinic.thumb.gif

Thanks, what is odd is the Chattahoochee River has been very clear the last few times I have been on it. headscratch.gif It is usually brown as could be. ne_nau.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 15, 2006
    patch29 wrote:

Roll, Patch, roll!!!

7241832-S.jpg

7241817-S.jpg

wave.gif

Pete,
    I'm truly curious about the tandem kayak. MrsIt would love to come play on the water with me, but there's no way she'll get into a whitewater boat. Canoeing would be fun, but they're big, heavy, and expensive. I'd love to hear any comments you have on your tandem experience so far.

great shots, really great scenery thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited June 15, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Roll, Patch, roll!!!

I think I can, I think I can....

I called wxwax to take some photos, he claims he has to work. rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 16, 2006
    Erik,
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Roll, Patch, roll!!!

Pete,
    I'm truly curious about the tandem kayak. MrsIt would love to come play on the water with me, but there's no way she'll get into a whitewater boat. Canoeing would be fun, but they're big, heavy, and expensive. I'd love to hear any comments you have on your tandem experience so far.

great shots, really great scenery thumb.gif

The tandem Kayak is called the divorce boat and i can understand why. Lots of different parameters will determine if you will enjoy the tandem. My wife was an average paddler so i got her a book and a video so she could see the correct way to paddle. After doing this things got a lot easier. We spent the first 4-5 trips swapping positions and trying different seat positions( I suggest you try this in shallow water on a smaller lake or flat water) We determined that the strong paddle and the direction is all governed by the back set. I ended up sitting in the back otherwise i was trying to correct the direction all the time to no avail as the front seat has very little control over direction ( a rudder may help so i got a boat that could accommodate a rudder if needed). We also had to regulate the paddle speed ( my wife would paddle a little too fast ) after 5 or so trips we are now paddling at the right speed and i sync with her.

Things are now good and i would recommend the Tandem if you are a very patient person, if you buy your Kayak from somewhere like REI you can return it if you decide things are not working out.

Good luck mail me if you would like any further information.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 3, 2006
    Hey Pete,
    Just thought I'd dredge up this thread and give a quick update: I think we ended up with the same boat! :D

85320858-M.jpg

Went to REI a couple weeks ago to "look", and ended up with a big blue boat strapped to the roof. On our second weekend with the boat now and we're having a blast. Its been so nice to get out on the water during this heat wave. I think we've ended up doing almost as much stopping/swimming as actual paddling, but hey, its all for fun! And so far, no divorcing either!
    lol3.gif

It's funny, you mentioned that you guys tried to swap positions as well - we did the same thing. I'm definitely bigger and a more experienced paddler, and I've found I can actually steer the boat from either the front or rear position. I think its probably because in this particular boat, the front position is actually very close to the center (since you can also paddle this boat solo if you push the front seat all the way back in its track). But who knows. Where did that instructional video come from? I'm sure the Mrs would be into it.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited August 31, 2006
    Hi Erik, Yea same boat.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey Pete,
    Just thought I'd dredge up this thread and give a quick update: I think we ended up with the same boat! :D

Glad you like it, will get you the video details next week when i get back home.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson