Options

Looking for some tips on shooting more than one using 50 1.4 lens

SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited June 14, 2006 in Technique
I am brand new here and am seeking some advice on shooting more than one person using the 50mm 1.4 lens. When working with one subject, I have been really focusing on getting the eyes really sharp and getting better pictures straight out of the camera which is starting to happen. I shoot RAW, use back button focusing (which I love but takes some getting use to), mainly use center point AF and try to keep the eyes on the same focal plane. Also as a rule of thumb for hand held I try to never let my SS go below 125. Don't have good results if I do. I will post some examples so that you can see my work.

I have had someone ask me to take pictures of their kids and now I am wondering where do I focus with a group? Example: three kids grouped together. Do I still use center point AF and focus on the kid that is closest to me in the group or the kid in the middle? Normally I shoot apertures of 2.8 - 4.0 but should I stop down and go to f/9 for a group. Why is this throwing me for a loop? Can anyone lend some advice.
www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L IS 2.8

Comments

• Options
    edited June 13, 2006

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Blurmore started a great thread that is circulating regarding focus points and back-focusing. You should check it out. Nice shots by the way! You're doing great. thumb.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35912
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Blurmore started a great thread that is circulating regarding focus points and back-focusing. You should check it out. Nice shots by the way! You're doing great. thumb.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35912

Thanks for the compliment. Appreciate you pointing me to that thread. Going to check it out right now!

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    Read the thread. Great information and discussion on AF points. I think I am going to set up my daughters dolls outside today in a group in various positions and just practice with different focal points and f stops. This works best for me as I am defintely a hands on learner.

The neighbors will probably think I am nuts when they see me doing this but who cares! :):

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 13, 2006
    I love shots with shallow DOF shot at f2 or even f1.4 also.

But I would make a humble suggestion to not use f2.8 or even f4 for groups unless you have no other choice. Groups move, don't hold still, and it is almost impossible to get the sharp focus you seem to desire at f2.8 with a group. Not enough DOF.

Try f5.6 or f8 if you can is my suggestion.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I love shots with shallow DOF shot at f2 or even f1.4 also.

But I would make a humble suggestion to not use f2.8 or even f4 for groups unless you have no other choice. Groups move, don't hold still, and it is almost impossible to get the sharp focus you seem to desire at f2.8 with a group. Not enough DOF.

Try f5.6 or f8 if you can is my suggestion.

Yeah...didn't think the shallow DOF would work with group shots. Going to do some practicing today with the 50mm and f/8 or higher before I take on a group photo. Like I replied above going to move the dolls or stuffed animals out into the yard and work with this as I do not have any willing human subjects around right now to practice on. My daughter absolutely hates the camera at this point as it is in her face all the time. Oh well.

By the way, took a look at your gallery and you have some great shots. Enjoying browsing. Thanks for the feedback.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    if you are stopping down and using a tripod then your af should work better-you should select all points and see how many light up.

alternatively focus manually.

with a group and shallow DOF you will,unlesss they are all lined up,always have some OOF,even if you focus manually.

so its either shallow DOF and perfectly aligned subjects which allows you to shoot handheld or stop down and use tripod but have a more naturally composed group that are all in focus,or stop down but bump up your ISO so that you can still handhold and achieve focus,but maybe reduce the cleanliness of your image...its all about balancing conditions and settings to achieve the best comromise.

Good luck

g
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Would I be correct in thinking you could use a longer lense from a distance, still at a large aperture and get more depth of field and still throw the surroundings out of focus?
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    tripod
    you will get less DOF with a tele which is wide open but the background will indeed be out of focus-worth experimenting with aperture to see how much you need to stop down to achieve focus but keep the backround blurry-this ,especilally with a telephoto,means that you will need to use a tripod
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.