Advice needed - help me spend my money

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited June 15, 2006 in Cameras
OK,

so I have trolled through fred miranda and every other site like it, read the reviews of a number of lenses, ad nauseam. The problem is, without actually playing with any of them, its hard to get a feel for how they actually are, and I suspect the reviewers on other sites of base and rabid partisanship.

So, I have $650-800 to spend on a lens for my 20D. I am currently sporting the following:

Zooms;
18-55 regular kit lens
35-135 USM Canon EF

Primes;
50mm f1.8 mark II
300mm f4 MG Orestegor (all manual)

I principally shoot Street and Doc, with a little architecture (cityscape) kind of stuff. What I have on my site here is typical of what I shoot.

So what shoudl I do? Go for a quality wide zoom? Pick up something in the 70-200 range? Blow it all on a 17-40L? Or go the cheaper sigma/tamron/tokina kind of route.

I really love the faster lenses, but all of the fixed aperture zooms from canon are way out of my price range. I really really cannot go above $800- even that is pushing it- my wife/CFO can only take so much provocation.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, if you live in the NYC area and would like to test out a 300mm lens in exchangwe for me testing out one of your wide lenses, that would be great. I don't actually know any other photographers, except for a pro guy down the street who uses a Hassy with a digital back. My problems garner only his scorn. :cry
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Justiceiro -

I'm no professional on lenses but here's my thoughts...

I have a 20D as well and shoot primarily candids. I've been more than happy with the Canon EF-S 17-85mm F/4.0-5.6 USM IS (INFO). Priced at ~$510.00. I would love to have the 16-35L or the 17-40L but the top end (40mm) is just too small for me. The 17-85 always seems to be the perfect range.

I also use the 10-22mm and just purchases the 100-400mm. Tomorrow is the day!!! I used the 18-55 and the 55-200 forever and once I upgraded I could not believe the difference!!!

Hope this helps!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    OK,

so I have trolled through fred miranda and every other site like it, read the reviews of a number of lenses, ad nauseam. The problem is, without actually playing with any of them, its hard to get a feel for how they actually are, and I suspect the reviewers on other sites of base and rabid partisanship.

So, I have $650-800 to spend on a lens for my 20D. I am currently sporting the following:

Zooms;
    18-55 regular kit lens
    35-135 USM Canon EF

Primes;
    50mm f1.8 mark II
    300mm f4 MG Orestegor (all manual)

I principally shoot Street and Doc, with a little architecture (cityscape) kind of stuff. What I have on my site here is typical of what I shoot.

So what shoudl I do? Go for a quality wide zoom? Pick up something in the 70-200 range? Blow it all on a 17-40L? Or go the cheaper sigma/tamron/tokina kind of route.

I really love the faster lenses, but all of the fixed aperture zooms from canon are way out of my price range. I really really cannot go above $800- even that is pushing it- my wife/CFO can only take so much provocation.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, if you live in the NYC area and would like to test out a 300mm lens in exchangwe for me testing out one of your wide lenses, that would be great. I don't actually know any other photographers, except for a pro guy down the street who uses a Hassy with a digital back. My problems garner only his scorn. :cry

With the lens ranges you've got covered and the cash you have available, I'd suggest the 70-200L F4, to extend your reach. It's $544.95 after rebate on B&H. The tripod collar is $119.50...which brings you to $664.45, giving you $135.55 to cover taxes and shipping cost....what a deal:D You could later add the 1.4x TC for $284.95, giving you even more reach. But if you are looking to get excellent results in the 18-55 range that you are covering with the kit lens, you would be amazed with the quality of the 17-40L F4.

Of course I'm a believer in buying Canon glass. I hate it when someone spends alot on a camera, and then skimps on the glass. I'd rather have a Rebel with L-glass than a Mark II or 5D with "after market" glass.....but that's just me...or is it?ne_nau.gif I love my 20D with L-glass attached. The stares are nice too. :D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    I agree with what everyone said so far, I'd go with a nice wide or a zoom.
    Jeffro wrote:
    Of course I'm a believer in buying Canon glass. I hate it when someone spends alot on a camera, and then skimps on the glass. I'd rather have a Rebel with L-glass than a Mark II or 5D with "after market" glass.....but that's just me...or is it?ne_nau.gif I love my 20D with L-glass attached. The stares are nice too. :D
    I understand why you say this, but my philosophy was to go with cheaper lenses and figure out what works as I learn more about my camera. Once I get everything figured out, its time to move up the big leagues. I'm thinking come the end of summer, I'll be looking at some nice L-glass.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
    edited June 13, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    I agree with what everyone said so far, I'd go with a nice wide or a zoom.

I understand why you say this, but my philosophy was to go with cheaper lenses and figure out what works as I learn more about my camera. Once I get everything figured out, its time to move up the big leagues. I'm thinking come the end of summer, I'll be looking at some nice L-glass.

All my glass isn't L-series either, but it is Canon. I hope to have much more L-glass as $ permits. Sell photo's sell!:D
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Sell photo's sell!:D

Uh huh! thumb.gif
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Since you shoot architecture how about a Tilt Shift Lens. They are manual, even the Canon EOS mount. Hartblei makes one that is well reviews. I believe they make 65mm and 85mm mounts and possible a 35mm but that might be another brand.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Since you shoot architecture how about a Tilt Shift Lens. They are manual, even the Canon EOS mount. Hartblei makes one that is well reviews. I believe they make 65mm and 85mm mounts and possible a 35mm but that might be another brand.

I am not sure that the tilt/shift is, at this point, worth the money. I gues I used the term "shoot architecture" incorrectly. I actually do a lot of urban landscape kind of thing, like this;

52567133-M.jpg

But I also like to do a lot of "close up" in the middle of it sort of stuff, like this:

52572228-M.jpg

It would be nice to have a long reach, like with the 70-200 L glass. But I a m not sure if I should spend money on quality lenses at that focal length. True, it's not covered, but I would prefer to go for some quality wider angle, as that's where I am likely to shoot most. T/S is probably toos pecialzied to make it worth the money right now. Although it is tempting.

The question I have concerns the trade off between lens speed and "Canon-ness." I can't afford the fast L's like the 24-200 f 2,8 L.

L glass is, I am sure, super sweet. But how sweet is it, relative to other lens manufacturerst speciall glass? How does Tamron's 17-35 f2.8-4 "LD" lens, at $450 compare to Canon's 17-40 f4 L? I know the Tamron is faster, (and I really would like to have at least an f2,8). Is the Canon L at f4 vs. 54 twice as good, 25% better- 16 times better? What's the comparison.

Also, how does Sigma's 20-40mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF compare to the 17-40 L? I really like the consant 2.8.

• gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    consider a focussing screen for your manual lenses.

have a look at the katz eye thread in here.

this will mprove your ratio of keepers

Also there are some very fine manual lenses out there if you want to get some L quality Primes for Kit Lens prices by using a an eos adapter-

m42 screw mount zeiss jenas or pentax takumars or contax-zeiss are very nice ,also leica,voigtlander etc

old zooms however are not very good,especially the push-pull type that suck in dust -better to stick with later model ,upper end zooms here

maybe a fast 28mm would be useful,with a 1.6 crop camera this would equate to 44.8 mm,becoming a standard lens like a 50mm

a fast 50 manual lense like the pentax smc takumar 50/1.4 would give you
    a handy length

a 16mm fish eye like the peleng or zenitar are also good for wide angle but with some barrel distortion which needs to be corrected in pshop.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited June 13, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Also, how does Sigma's 20-40mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF compare to the 17-40 L? I really like the consant 2.8.

I can't answer that question, but I can tell you the F4 in the 17-40L has always been fast enough for me. I usually don't need the speed or light gathering a F2.8 provides when doing landscape or cityscape shots, since they are usually shot on a tripod. The glass and build of the 17-40L is great. It is head and shoulders above the kit lens...did I mention it's head and shoulders above the kit?ne_nau.gif
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Sounds to me like the 10-22 or 17-40 are what you should be looking at. Or, maybe the Sigma 18-50/2.8 or Tamron 17-50/2.8 and save the rest towards your next purchase. If you haven't already, take a look at the lens reviews here, here, and here.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Sounds to me like the 10-22 or 17-40 are what you should be looking at. Or, maybe the Sigma 18-50/2.8 or Tamron 17-50/2.8 and save the rest towards your next purchase. If you haven't already, take a look at the lens reviews here, here, and here.

Thanks for the links, that photozone site actually has excellent reviews. Just what I was looking for; I find the FM reviews to be a bit less than informative.

Right now I think it is either the 10-22, or the 17-40 L. I would love to have L glass. But I would also love to have 10mm. I think I will rent them for a day from B&H and see which one I like better (renting costs about $60 for the both of them).