MISpeedway

PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited June 15, 2006 in Sports
Im going to the qualifying on Friday, I need to know if I can sell these in my gallery,

or do I have to have releases?
Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net

Comments

• maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Pamela wrote:
    Im going to the qualifying on Friday, I need to know if I can sell these in my gallery,

or do I have to have releases?

I'm assuming you mean images from the event?

It's a dodgy question, but my take is this.

If you're credentialled to cover an event you *cannot* sell prints from these events as a condition of your credential. I know many photogs that do sell prints and who are credentialled but they're running the risk of not being credentialled should the track/race organiser decide to get sticky about it. As for releases these would only apply for commercial use such as advertising. If a magazine or newpaper came to you with regards to using these images then you do not need a release for editorial.

If you're a spectator then I'm not fully sure as to whether you would have "permission" to sell images based ont he fact that you're not shooitng from a public place as most racetracks are private property.

Usually what you can and can't do with images is on the back of the event entry ticket.

Andrew :)
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Read your ticket. Check their website. If you don't have a media pass, there may well be restrictions on what you can sell.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Follow you gut feeling
    I show up at racing events and my target purchasers are the racers. If I was asked to sell to an outside pub. I belive I would at least ask the person in the pic. to share in the lime light. rolleyes1.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    I show up at racing events and my target purchasers are the racers. If I was asked to sell to an outside pub. I belive I would at least ask the person in the pic. to share in the lime light. rolleyes1.gif

I've never even had someone want to by a picture of someone they didn't know. The odds are, if it isn't a commercially offered poster (which tend to be very inexpensive) selling race photos to the general public, of other people, is very rare. I know I've never bought any.

I can only hope I have to find that famous racer to get a release for my shot to be used in an add!

....don't we all?:D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Im talking about photos ofthe drivers and their cars.

I will look on the ticket when I get there.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net