Carsen Lens

Camon CrowCamon Crow Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited June 14, 2006 in Cameras
I am looking for any information on lens sold by the W. Carsen Co.. Carson founded his company in 1946 and up until 2000 they distributed Olympus consumer products in Canada. At some point they sold lenses under the carson name that I think were made for them by Olympus. Any further information would be a great help.

I know of the following 3 lenses:

Carsen Telephoto 1:4.5 f=200mm
Carsen 1:2.4 105mm
Carsen Wide Angle 1:2.8 f=35mm
Please Come Visit
The Helm Blog

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited June 14, 2006
    Camon Crow wrote:
    I am looking for any information on lens sold by the W. Carsen Co.. Carson founded his company in 1946 and up until 2000 they distributed Olympus consumer products in Canada. At some point they sold lenses under the carson name that I think were made for them by Olympus. Any further information would be a great help.

I know of the following 3 lenses:

Carsen Telephoto 1:4.5 f=200mm
    Carsen 1:2.4 105mm
    Carsen Wide Angle 1:2.8 f=35mm

CC,

As far as I know, Olympus did not manufacture any lenses for "private brand". This would constitute a line of self-competing products, which most companies view as self-defeating and even self-destructive.

The best way to determine the origin of private branded lenses is through similarities with other known lenses. Physical similarities like overall size and shape, and optical similarities like the number of elements and groups and even the focus scale and f numbers, can all lend in "matching" to a known lens and likely source.

Sometimes, the best you can say is, "this lens appears to be very similar to" another lens because independent lens manufacturers are very guarded about specifics with their clients, and the clients are secretive about source.

There is considerable mystique around lens sources and Googleing can give you a feel for the considerable misinformation and rumors that exist.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Camon CrowCamon Crow Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    CC,

As far as I know, Olympus did not manufacture any lenses for "private brand". This would constitute a line of self-competing products, which most companies view as self-defeating and even self-destructive.

The best way to determine the origin of private branded lenses is through similarities with other known lenses. Physical similarities like overall size and shape, and optical similarities like the number of elements and groups and even the focus scale and f numbers, can all lend in "matching" to a known lens and likely source.

Sometimes, the best you can say is, "this lens appears to be very similar to" another lens because independent lens manufacturers are very guarded about specifics with their clients, and the clients are secretive about source.

There is considerable mystique around lens sources and Googleing can give you a feel for the considerable misinformation and rumors that exist.

ziggy53

Thank you
    Please Come Visit
    The Helm Blog