Options

Bokeh by chance....

judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited June 16, 2006 in Wildlife
I'm as newbie as it gets, being a photographer for no more than 3 days....
Anyway, here's one of the very first shot I made and after posting it on my Smug I discovered what Bokeh is. There's always something to be learned....

75419908-L.jpg
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    judah wrote:
    I discovered what Bokeh is

Highly overrated?

Just kidding, I like a good bokeh as much as the next guy, but I do think some people spend too much time discussing it. If you don't mind me saying something about your image:
    I like the color, and the creamy look of your out of focus area (bokeh ;) ). I don't see what the main point of interest is though. Also, the leaves in front, that our a bit out of focus, are a bit disturbing. Without those, we'd have a better view of the plant and its flowers.
    That said... only a photographer for three days, and then this shot, and not afraid to share it!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    Highly overrated?

Yeah, I know what you mean..... :):
    marlof wrote:
    Just kidding, I like a good bokeh as much as the next guy, but I do think some people spend too much time discussing it. If you don't mind me saying something about your image:
    I like the color, and the creamy look of your out of focus area (bokeh ;) ). I don't see what the main point of interest is though. Also, the leaves in front, that our a bit out of focus, are a bit disturbing. Without those, we'd have a better view of the plant and its flowers.
    That said... only a photographer for three days, and then this shot, and not afraid to share it!

No problem about feedback, in fact that's exactly what I'm looking for. I took this shot by chance, I was shooting some landscape and the camera happened to tilt down on the tripod while I was lightin' up a cigarette. I looked at it at home and found out I liked it. Anyway, you're perfectly right about the out of focue leaves, that disturbs me a bit too. I'm not afraid at all, I'm really willing to learn as much as possible. I come from a similar background (audio engineering) and found out that photography is a lot similar to it (you try and stick as much interesting stuff as possible in the smallest place possible photo=song). But I'm no techno-paranoid, in fact I was quite naive in the studio as much as I am with the camera. Will see what happens....
    Thanks for your comment Marlof.

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Well Judah, welcome!

The exposure of your pic is great, the subject...

I think as long as you shoot what you thinks is beautiful instead of what you think others find beautiful, everything will work out just fine.

Looking at other people's pictures, asking how they did it and dicipline yourself on composition, is what I humblely advice you.

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2006
    Well Judah, welcome!

The exposure of your pic is great, the subject...

I think as long as you shoot what you thinks is beautiful instead of what you think others find beautiful, everything will work out just fine.

Looking at other people's pictures, asking how they did it and dicipline yourself on composition, is what I humblely advice you.

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.

Hi Dick,
    sorry for my late reply. Saw your post now. Thanks for your feedback. Will keep that in mind.

Cheers.

J.