World's Largest Camera

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited June 16, 2006 in Cameras
Yikes. This is a big one! That shutter speed is a bit slow though - about 10 days! :huh

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 14, 2006
    world's largest disposable camera - neat project.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    world's largest disposable camera - neat project.

Doesn't Andy have one of these. . . or did he sell it already:D
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Doesn't Andy have one of these. . . or did he sell it already:D

He had one, but he sent it off to be modded for IR...
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited June 14, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Yikes. This is a big one! That shutter speed is a bit slow though - about 10 days! eek7.gif

And no tripod! I love it.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Neat story. Makes you think about the nature of things. Thanks for the link. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Thanks for the link. It's a neat story and a cool ending to a bygone era. Living in Orange County, I have spent my life watching these jets fly over our neighborhoods. It's going to be a sad day. If they ever tear down those giant lighter-than-air hangers, I will really be upset!!!! :cry
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    It's like a Steven Wright joke. You can just imagine him saying...

"I have the world's biggest camera...it's the size of an airplane hangar...
    ...yesterday I bought a fast zoom lens for it...
    ...it's a 70-300...
    ...meters..."
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    It's like a Steven Wright joke. You can just imagine him saying...

"I have the world's biggest camera...it's the size of an airplane hangar...
    ...yesterday I bought a fast zoom lens for it...
    ...it's a 70-300...
    ...meters..."

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Chris
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    If you like that kind of thing you should check out Abelardo Morell's _Camera Obscura_. Heck, you should check it out even if you don't, it is an amazing piece of work.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    "The world's largest disposable camera" will need a pretty big trash can:D
    Steve-o
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 15, 2006
    You just know that there has to be some light leakage problems. Or better yet, some idiot will open a door and ruin the entire project on day 9.

I am curious how the development process will work. I had some film ruined during development years ago when I loaded the reel wrong. Film stuck together will not develop properly. They must be using one heck of a large developing tank to keep it from sticking together. Either that or becuase it is a cloth material the developer will penetrate.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Thanks for the link. It's a neat story and a cool ending to a bygone era. Living in Orange County, I have spent my life watching these jets fly over our neighborhoods. It's going to be a sad day. If they ever tear down those giant lighter-than-air hangers, I will really be upset!!!! :cry

Keep in mind the photo project is at El Toro, the blimp hangers are at the helicopter station in Tustin. Two different bases, I made the same mistake at first upon reading the article (my first thought was why aren't they using those blimp hangers if they REALLY want to go big?). AFAIK, at least one of them has been declared a historic monument and is safe. Other than that I'm not sure of the status of the base except there's a new building going up along Redhill--less hoopla over this one than El Toro.

I would imagine access to the building is restricted still--it was recently a military installation after all.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    lolol
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    He had one, but he sent it off to be modded for IR...

rolleyes1.gif
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    You just know that there has to be some light leakage problems. Or better yet, some idiot will open a door and ruin the entire project on day 9.

The great thing about a 10-day exposure is that you could probably leave a door open for an hour and it wouldn't ruin the picture.

I was always very bad at loading film onto the old metal reels in the dark.
    I love digital...
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    For those who are too lazy to click the link, I live in Irvine (right next door) and have the newspaper article right here in front of me:

- The photo will be 28x108 feet in size, it is basically a 1,200 lb. piece of canvas coated with "sensitizer"...

- The "apeture" of this camera is a 3/4 inch diameter pinhole in the hangar's opposite wall.

- The "shutter speed" may run up to 1.8 million seconds. (3 weeks)

- The image will be developed in a make-shift pool requiring 800 gallons of chemistry!

- They used 200 cans of filler foam to completely light-proof the hangar...

- The grand total of the project is $25,000

Here's a quick math problem to separate the real geeks from the impostors: Assuming "sunny sixteen" and ASA 100, what would be the f-stop of the 3/4 inch hole? I'll start you off with a hint: It is currently light outside for approx. 14 hours and 20 minutes, and I'd assume that nights will have negligible effect on the exposure.

As far as I can tell, it's somewhere around f/262144.

Take care fellow camera geeks,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum