Question by private message: Upressing for a 6' banner

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 22, 2006 in Finishing School
I can't answer pms. 50+ a day :)
Ask in the forum, where our many wonderful folks in the community can help out, that's what makes Dgrin so great!
I found an existing thread about resizing in PhotoShop, but I'm not
"getting it", so I'm asking a pro...
I shoot the ***** Soccer games and their management wants
to use some of my pictures to make banners for their new stadium. They
need them to be able to go on 6’ x 3’ banners. What I have provided
them was shot at Large image size (3072x2048 pixels ) with normal
compression which the manual says is good for 297x210 mm (11x17) prints.
Do I need to edit / resize in PS, or change my camera settings or do
they need to have the company doing the banners adjust the image?

Best is to let their banner maker outfit do the upressing. They'll be equipped for it. I go large, often - like with www.bigposters.com and they do all the upressing.

:thumb

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Go to ON One software..link below....

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

Down load the trial version of Genuine Fractals 4.1.....do your up reszing and save it as you normally would.....

you can save 20 files with the trial version...so unlike other trials where you can do all the work but it won't save.....the folks at onONe let you save your work so you can print from it.....

I took a full size file from a Konica-Minolta A2 and up sized it to 30 X 40 inches and it was as crisp as any 8 X 10 at 300 dpi.....

Here is how I did it (may be leaving out a step or 2 but this is the main idea.....

I wanted a 30 x 40 inch print that was as crisp and sharp as an 8 x 10...so I opened my file in PSCS and resized it to 300dpi (from the native 72) this brought the file to approx 8 x 10 inches...this I then opened in Genuine Fractals and resized to 30 x 40 inches, all in one step and even my printer thought it was a better file that what they would have gotten from using their RIP software....

All the instructions are downloadable and I even email the onONE team to make sure I was following instructions correctly and they were extremely helpful....so with GF4.1 there is no stair - step interpolation needed just ONE step to you uprez that file.

Good luck and hope this helps.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    What about plain 'Bicubic Smoother'?
    Art Scott wrote:
    Go to ON One software..link below....

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

Down load the trial version of Genuine Fractals 4.1.....do your up reszing and save it as you normally would.....

you can save 20 files with the trial version...so unlike other trials where you can do all the work but it won't save.....the folks at onONe let you save your work so you can print from it.....

I took a full size file from a Konica-Minolta A2 and up sized it to 30 X 40 inches and it was as crisp as any 8 X 10 at 300 dpi.....

Here is how I did it (may be leaving out a step or 2 but this is the main idea.....

I wanted a 30 x 40 inch print that was as crisp and sharp as an 8 x 10...so I opened my file in PSCS and resized it to 300dpi (from the native 72) this brought the file to approx 8 x 10 inches...this I then opened in Genuine Fractals and resized to 30 x 40 inches, all in one step and even my printer thought it was a better file that what they would have gotten from using their RIP software....

All the instructions are downloadable and I even email the onONE team to make sure I was following instructions correctly and they were extremely helpful....so with GF4.1 there is no stair - step interpolation needed just ONE step to you uprez that file.

Good luck and hope this helps.

For up-sizing, is using one 'Bicubic Smoother' re-size not enough? I've seen many posts that there is only very very little difference between 'stair-step', 'GenuineFractals' and just plain 'Bicubic Smoother' in photoshop.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com