Options

ch 67 - lamina idea

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited June 18, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
playing with the thin layers concept . . .

75804795-L.jpg

Too abstract? Thoughts, critiques, slams - all are welcome!
john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• Options
    webwizardwebwizard Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Like the concept. I was thinking along a similar line myself.
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Great color and lighting - a very good idea! thumb.gif
  • Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    great abstract shot!

nice idea. i love it besides the pink. but that could be a personal thing.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Whoa, very nice! I'm not sure if its the colors, but the picture seems a little out of focus... but maybe that's just me. It's still great for this challenge! Very nice. thumb.gif
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2006
    purified wrote:
    Whoa, very nice! I'm not sure if its the colors, but the picture seems a little out of focus... but maybe that's just me. It's still great for this challenge! Very nice. thumb.gif

Thanks for the helpful comments.

Here's pretty much the straight shot (ACR modifications only). I did add some Gausian Blur to my "finished" shot. I think the softness you notice may be the "halo" that the Gausian Blur adds. Not sure if the effect works or not.

75847801-L.jpg

Love your entry. A real winner.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited June 17, 2006
    another variation of the same idea:

75737570-L.jpg
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Options
    XtopherousXtopherous Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    I like the "straight shot" from post #6. The colors and sharpness are more interesting to me than when they are altered in your first post. Plus, I think the way they are stacked is reminiscent of things found in nature; it has a recognizable pattern, but with idiosyncrasies and anomalies. Excellent alternate take on the challenge topic.
  • Options
    LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    Great shot!!
    I actually like it better with the softening.
    Maybe it would appeal more to the "masses" with less blur - somewhere between the original post and the "straight shot".

Whichever way you go, it's a great entry! thumb.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 18, 2006
    nice stuff John

I prefer the original without the blur but I like the other shot (#3?) a lot also thumb.gif
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2006
    Wow, these are terrific, John! The blur in the first shot doesn't bother me, it looks like a piece of art! I love the light and the colors. But having said that, I like the original also, and it's growing on me the more I look at it. My favorite shot, actually, is the 3rd shot. It is just awesome...talk about a piece of art! For the challenge theme, however, I think your best bet is .... the 2nd shot because you can really see the lamina. thumb.gif