Rentglass.com offers Nikon lenses for rental starting on June 20th, 2006

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited June 23, 2006 in Cameras
From an email I received this morning:

Rentglass.com offers Nikon lenses for rental starting on June 20th, 2006

Rentglass. com <nikonopening@rentglass.com> to me
9:00 pm (6 hours ago)
Rentglass.com is happy to announce the opening of our Nikon rental store on the evening of Tuesday, June 20th, 2006! Those who follow our Canon store know of the high demand our service has, so our Nikon store will open with a sneak preview designed to give the highest number of customers a chance to find out what we're all about.
During the one month sneak preview, the following alterations to our normal procedures will apply:
  • Rentals are available for one or two weeks
  • One lens rental per household during the sneak preview period
  • Availability of our initial inventory will be split through the course of the preview
At Rentglass.com our goal is to provide you with a high level of value and service. We hope you will be patient as we grow at a rate that allows us to keep our prices low.
For more information about our service and a list of lenses being offered, please visit us at http://www.rentglass.com/nikonnotify.aspx

john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Hi John,

Have you experiece with these guys? Have you used them? Without personal experience, it seems kind of spammish, but if you can vouch, then we love to hear this sort of news...
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi John,

Have you experiece with these guys? Have you used them? Without personal experience, it seems kind of spammish, but if you can vouch, then we love to hear this sort of news...

There was a thread awhile back... http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=33260&highlight=rentglass
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Rentglass is pretty legit. When they first came out someone over on fredmiranda blasted them pretty hard saying that they don't even have secure ordering, then the guy who runs it came on and said how just because the whole site isn't secure doesn't mean the ordering isn't secure, and it's actually better to have just the ordering be secure. He seemed pretty legit, and the people on FM starting using him...A LOT. I haven't yet, mainly because he has a very small stock and is always running out of stuff.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    The only negative I've ever seen on these guys over at FM is that due to the limited stock & popularity it's hard to get your turn. AFAIK they are long-time regulars on FM & so far have a good track record there.
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    The only negative I've ever seen on these guys over at FM is that due to the limited stock & popularity it's hard to get your turn. AFAIK they are long-time regulars on FM & so far have a good track record there.

YEah, just checked the site out, and I would LOVE to rent some of the stuff. But they only have one lens in stock.

Thier weekly prices are similar to B&H's daily rental price.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    I've used Rentglass.com twice for Canon gear and have been extremely happy. My first rental was on a 200/2.8L prime for 1 week, and I just dropped my second rental in the return mail - a Sigma 10-20. Both lenses arrived scratch-free and well-packed. The Sigma had a fair bit of dust on the front element, but that's my worst complaint, and air fixed it. :D

My only reservation in recommending them is that you might take the lens I need sometime. Their stock is quite limited. Then again, if their business grows, maybe they'll get some more stock.

Oh, and I don't know how it will affect Nikonians, but my 200L rental will hurt me financially in the long run, since I've seen what's possible with fantastic gear. mwink.gif

-Greg
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi John,

Andy, I just got back online.

I guess my post did have a spam-like character to it - was not intended to appear that way . . .

No, I only know about rentglass from threads here on dgrin and other forums. Canon shooters seem to really, really love them. I registered with them for notices about rental of Nikon lenses and this morning received a notice.

The only bad thing I've heard is that you can't reserve a lens in advance. Kind of a hit-or-miss proposition. Bad for a planned trip but fine if you want to try out new lenses and are not on a specific timeline - sounds fun to me.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    CW (Dean) had a rentglass lens during the shootout. Seems like all new products and fairly cheap.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited June 20, 2006
    The Nikon rentglass.com site is now up.

I just rented a 60mm2.8 lens (on my wish list and a pretty cheap rental).

I have NO affiliation with these guys. I've just heard good things about them and personally wanted to give them a try. No spam ads here.

I'll post a report about shipping time, lens condition, communication with them, etc, as soon as the lens comes. deal.gif

The order process was easy and they do not charge your cc with a depost for the value of the lens. Just the rental charge.

Anyway, thought nikon shooters might like this info.
    john w

Edward Steichen

edited June 20, 2006
    The Nikon rentglass.com site is now up.

Well, that was quick . . . . virtually all the lenses are gone. Only a 20mm left. I had the 80-200 2.8 in my shopping cart for awhile but it's gone in just a few minutes since I was on the website.

I did hear that they aren't releasing all their inventory on the first night - staggering it over a few nights. Maybe I can grab the 18-200 VR for a trial soon.
    john w

Edward Steichen

• cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    I have also used them. Rented a 70-200 f4 for the shootout. I had it for about 3 weeks. They have top notch service and I was very very pleased.thumb.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    Well, that was quick . . . . virtually all the lenses are gone. Only a 20mm left. I had the 80-200 2.8 in my shopping cart for awhile but it's gone in just a few minutes since I was on the website.

I did hear that they aren't releasing all their inventory on the first night - staggering it over a few nights. Maybe I can grab the 18-200 VR for a trial soon.

That's funny because I rented the 80-200 2.8. I had the VR in my shopping cart but it was gone before I could rent it. I just got a message that it is on it's way so I'm very excited and ready to try it out. I want to try out the VR soon too. I wanted the try to get the 80-400 VR but you can only rent one at a time right now - so I'll try to rent it at a later date.
    edited June 23, 2006
    Jnichols wrote:
    That's funny because I rented the 80-200 2.8. I had the VR in my shopping cart but it was gone before I could rent it. I just got a message that it is on it's way so I'm very excited and ready to try it out. I want to try out the VR soon too. I wanted the try to get the 80-400 VR but you can only rent one at a time right now - so I'll try to rent it at a later date.

My 60 2.8 macro gets here tomorrow. I rented it for a couple of weeks. I guess I can buy it for the mid 300$ price so renting it for $40 for two weeks may be silly. Oh well . . .
    john w

Edward Steichen