Options

First time live music shooting session....

judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited June 17, 2006 in People
First time with a live band. Here I paste the gallery description:

"Wow, just got back home. First live music shooting session. Thought it would have been much easier. Boy I was wrong! I'm quite disappointed but you learn from mistakes so....
Anyway, the band played in a nice castle up in the mountains near where I live. I finally understand why you need a 1Gb memory card. I filled up my 256Mb card in few minutes! Oh well.....
Enjoy!

PS: Out of 204 shots I saved this 5! What a ratio, just a tad bit more than 2%!
"

Let me know what you think:

75888368-L.jpg

75888372-L.jpg

75888373-L.jpg

75888367-L.jpg

75888370-L.jpg
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Pretty interesting. Did you save any without motion blur?

Nice jobthumb.gif .....welcome:D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    I really like 1 and 5. :D
  • Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    It's different!:D

I love #1 and #2.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    1,3,5 are my favs... especially 3 b/c it's different and really cool b/c it looks like the drummer is using 'is noggin to bust a beat

my one critique/nitpick is that this thread makes 'One Stop Live Music Thread' a falsehood... this is definitely another stop

nice work thumb.gif
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Pretty interesting. Did you save any without motion blur?

Nice jobthumb.gif .....welcome:D

Hi Jeffro,
    thanks for your comment. Well, it was almost impossible to get shots without blur. The lights were so dimmed that I had to crank up everything on my camera, maximum aperture and the shutter couldn't go any faster than 1" and something. That's the reason why I'm so disappointend. I really don't know if I'm doin' something wrong or if it was only a lightin' problem.
    So, the answer is no. I couldn't get any photo without blur. ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited June 17, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    1,3,5 are my favs... especially 3 b/c it's different and really cool b/c it looks like the drummer is using 'is noggin to bust a beat

my one critique/nitpick is that this thread makes 'One Stop Live Music Thread' a falsehood... this is definitely another stop

nice work thumb.gif

Hi LeDude,
    thanks for your feedback. Sorry but I don't get what you mean (english is not my first language). I know I should have posted this in the Live Music thread but thought that they might get burried and forgotten in a heartbeat and as I was lookin' for advices I started another thread.
    If the moderator feels that this post must be moved there it's no problem with me. :):

• Options
    edited June 17, 2006
    judah wrote:
    Hi LeDude,
    thanks for your feedback. Sorry but I don't get what you mean (english is not my first language). I know I should have posted this in the Live Music thread but thought that they might get burried and forgotten in a heartbeat and as I was lookin' for advices I started another thread.
    If the moderator feels that this post must be moved there it's no problem with me. :):

I was kidding around with you some... it's okay to post here and you certainly did it for good reason.

As for the blur, you've done well with some of these to make the shots look cool. However, if you are looking to reduce the blur you are going to need to go no slower than 1/15", and probably something like 1/20 or 1/30. Wide open is good thumb.gif Where was your ISO? I'm assuming something like 1600 since you said you had the settings 'cranked.'

Now, if the lighting is dim and you are still getting under-exposed shots with the settings I am suggesting, hopefully you are shooting in raw format because then you can use an exposure adjustment and apply curves using your conversion/processing software.

A more detailed explanation, I think, can be found in the "other" thread.

Black and white is a good way to bring out extremely under-exposed shots and make them viewable. A sepia tone sometimes helps even more along these lines.

What's really important though, before all of what I said above is to use your space as best as possible. You may have a shot that is 90% underexposed and nearly impossible to see... but if the 10% that is exposed well is in a good place or falling at a good angle, then you'll still have a shot worth keeping.

This shot was in the same venue, with the same lighting as this shot. However, in the second shot the performer had moved in front of the stage and out of the good lighting... but I really like the second shot and it was because I was able to move to the side and catch what light was available.

Here's a shot that went poorly (in my opinion, b/c her face is not lit), but with some processing and extreme effort I was able to get something that she liked (and she purchased the photo).

Okay? One final "trick": at a place near the end of the night (most of the audience had left) and where I was on a first name basis with the performer, I allowed myself to break my no-flash rule for a brief period. However, I did not fire the flash directly at the performer. Rather, using my pop-up flash and a business card held in front of the flash (directing the light up and out) I took this shot.

I hope this helps.

good shooting,
    LeDude
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    I was kidding around with you some... it's okay to post here and you certainly did it for good reason.

As for the blur, you've done well with some of these to make the shots look cool. However, if you are looking to reduce the blur you are going to need to go no slower than 1/15", and probably something like 1/20 or 1/30. Wide open is good thumb.gif Where was your ISO? I'm assuming something like 1600 since you said you had the settings 'cranked.'

Now, if the lighting is dim and you are still getting under-exposed shots with the settings I am suggesting, hopefully you are shooting in raw format because then you can use an exposure adjustment and apply curves using your conversion/processing software.

A more detailed explanation, I think, can be found in the "other" thread.

Black and white is a good way to bring out extremely under-exposed shots and make them viewable. A sepia tone sometimes helps even more along these lines.

What's really important though, before all of what I said above is to use your space as best as possible. You may have a shot that is 90% underexposed and nearly impossible to see... but if the 10% that is exposed well is in a good place or falling at a good angle, then you'll still have a shot worth keeping.

This shot was in the same venue, with the same lighting as this shot. However, in the second shot the performer had moved in front of the stage and out of the good lighting... but I really like the second shot and it was because I was able to move to the side and catch what light was available.

Here's a shot that went poorly (in my opinion, b/c her face is not lit), but with some processing and extreme effort I was able to get something that she liked (and she purchased the photo).

Okay? One final "trick": at a place near the end of the night (most of the audience had left) and where I was on a first name basis with the performer, I allowed myself to break my no-flash rule for a brief period. However, I did not fire the flash directly at the performer. Rather, using my pop-up flash and a business card held in front of the flash (directing the light up and out) I took this shot.

I hope this helps.

good shooting,
    LeDude

Thanks a lot Dude for your help. The ISO setting was 200/400/800. I tried 1600 but even on the camera LCD the shots looked horrible. I know that with these low settings is almost impossible to shorten the shutter speed to a usable range but I was scared of not being able to use the shots because of the high noise and so I decided to take the low ISO route. Aperutre was wide open (3.2 in my case, the camera's limit in M mode). No flash. I shoot in JPEG because Picasa (the software I use) doesn't recognize the Fuji RAW format and I'm stuck in this situation.... ne_nau.gif
    I'll keep up with practice as much as possible, in fact I'm waiting for my son to dress up and off we go to. Thanks again for your help. This forums is really a nice place to learn.

:):

• Options
    edited June 17, 2006
    judah wrote:
    Thanks a lot Dude for your help. The ISO setting was 200/400/800. I tried 1600 but even on the camera LCD the shots looked horrible. I know that with these low settings is almost impossible to shorten the shutter speed to a usable range but I was scared of not being able to use the shots because of the high noise and so I decided to take the low ISO route. Aperutre was wide open (3.2 in my case, the camera's limit in M mode). No flash. I shoot in JPEG because Picasa (the software I use) doesn't recognize the Fuji RAW format and I'm stuck in this situation.... ne_nau.gif
    I'll keep up with practice as much as possible, in fact I'm waiting for my son to dress up and off we go to. Thanks again for your help. This forums is really a nice place to learn.

:):

I start hopefully at 800 ISO in most situations and am usually soon moving to 1000... an I'm open to 1.8!

You should test out 1600 too though, it'll probably be too noisy but you might get something interesting.
    ... come along.