Special Olympics Delaware Powerlifting

cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited June 17, 2006 in Sports
75912428-S.jpg

This is my son Jonathan. He is benchpressing 325 pounds. He benched 350 on his third lift. I could crop close on Jon's face, but a benchpress competition has multiple people around. His trainer is at his head, the spotter is at the weight, one of the judges (there are 3 of them) is seated and watches intently.
He has the weight touching his chest waiting the PRESS command from the head Judge.

all the pictures from the meet are at
http://www.sode.smugmug.com/gallery/1546744
Hank Stoklosa
CornerKetch Studios
Special Olympics Delaware
www.sode.smugmug.com

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    I think your crop is fine. It's unfortunate the spotter's head is cut off, but I was looking at the galleries and noticed how the tighter crop in this particular shot increased the tension after viewing prior shots. And, after all, this is a tense sport!!!! Do you do all the shooting of your son? I noticed the webpage mentions other photographers shooting the participants. Looks like he really enjoys himself. thumb.gif
  • cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I think your crop is fine. It's unfortunate the spotter's head is cut off, but I was looking at the galleries and noticed how the tighter crop in this particular shot increased the tension after viewing prior shots. And, after all, this is a tense sport!!!! Do you do all the shooting of your son? I noticed the webpage mentions other photographers shooting the participants. Looks like he really enjoys himself. thumb.gif

I get to shot him because he has a trainer. I coach 15 other lifters and so you don't have much time to take pictures...

I use a Canon 20d with a wireless trigger and a tripod , focused for the tallest lifter and shoot the dead lifts, while I get them set up..

I worked great the first time, the second time Not as good, but we'll work on that..

JON trains 4 days a week, and loves the heavy benchpress.. His goal is to bench 405.. from here to there is a lot of training..
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    www.sode.smugmug.com
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    So you are one of the photographers and shoot all the kids...I get it! Very cool that they have their own Smugmug site. I imagine you are not using a flash for these since it would distract the athletes, what ISO are you shooting at? You are using a tripod and yet I notice a lot of blurry faces. Wondering if you could up your ISO???
  • cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    So you are one of the photographers and shoot all the kids...I get it! Very cool that they have their own Smugmug site. I imagine you are not using a flash for these since it would distract the athletes, what ISO are you shooting at? You are using a tripod and yet I notice a lot of blurry faces. Wondering if you could up your ISO???

I think I was using ISO 800, & f4.0 I was not pleased with the pictures. But I tried.. I had no time to check the status .. It was also a little darker than my previous attempt.. all leads to blur..

The lifters are also moving very quickly at the starting point, and then stop at the lockout point.

We actually have a flash practice, where we flash the guys throughout their practice lifts. THere are a lot of people taking pictures with flash, I can too if necessary.. and will next time. But they are all used to it.
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    www.sode.smugmug.com