Lots-O-Lamina

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited June 23, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've never done this before but I'm asking for your help selecting the shot I should run with for ch. 67. You'll see I've exercised some creative license in interpreting the definitions of plate; sheet; layer & blade.

All comments and critiques welcome and encouraged. Thank you.

1. Calder:

75943410-L.jpg

2. Calder in color:

75943420-L.jpg

3. Graffitti Lamina:

75943442-L.jpg

4. Gate:

75943427-L.jpg

5. Grate:

75943452-L.jpg

Which would you choose to run with? 28 votes

Calder?
25% 7 votes
Calder in color?
17% 5 votes
Gate?
3% 1 vote
Graffitti Lamina?
25% 7 votes
Grate?
14% 4 votes
None of the above?
14% 4 votes

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    thumb.gif Angelo, nice work! I'm leaning towards #2, but if you don't mind, I have a suggestion. I would like to see the metal in a warmer, color. Say copper? What plug-ins are you using? Virtual Photographer has a great copper. You would have to fill in the sky as it will come out white. I would lean towards an aquamarine colored sky...just my 2 cents. I also like the graffiti, but I think the metal is a stronger subject. You're on your way!!! Great ideas.
  • retroretro Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    #2 is a great shot, strong composition and beautiful blue tones
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    I like the grafitti one!

Malte
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    I Voted clap.gifclapclap.gif
    That Poll idea is a GREAT one Angelo.....I think I will borrow that idea for the next challenge if its ok with you :D
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • LCDLCD Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    I like your creative slant on the theme! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Looks like I'm the only one to choose #1 so far, but I like the bold of the b&w and think it is a good match for the subject.

Looking forward to see which you go with.

Good luck!
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 17, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    thumb.gif Angelo, nice work! I'm leaning towards #2, but if you don't mind, I have a suggestion. I would like to see the metal in a warmer, color. Say copper? What plug-ins are you using? Virtual Photographer has a great copper. You would have to fill in the sky as it will come out white. I would lean towards an aquamarine colored sky...just my 2 cents. I also like the graffiti, but I think the metal is a stronger subject. You're on your way!!! Great ideas.

Hey Saurora, thanks for the input. The only plug-in I ever use is my blender, to make margaritas... (ba da bing) rolleyes1.gif No seriously, I'm not very good with PS. My #2 is virtually original out of the camera; just a tad of levels to bring out depth of contrast. Since the raw metal is not so exciting I thought B/W might be better... hence #1.
    edited June 17, 2006
    retro wrote:
    #2 is a great shot, strong composition and beautiful blue tones

Thank you very much :D
    edited June 17, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    I like the grafitti one!

Malte

And I thank you also. :):
    edited June 17, 2006
    I Voted clap.gifclapclap.gif
    That Poll idea is a GREAT one Angelo.....I think I will borrow that idea for the next challenge if its ok with you :D

thanks brig

the poll idea is certainly not new nor my creation... go for it! mwink.gif
    edited June 17, 2006
    LCD wrote:
    I like your creative slant on the theme! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Looks like I'm the only one to choose #1 so far, but I like the bold of the b&w and think it is a good match for the subject.

Looking forward to see which you go with.

Good luck!

Many thanks to you :curtsey
  • wizard444wizard444 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Personally I liked the gate, but I see that I was the only one so far. Modern lamina I think.ne_nau.gif
    "Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again."

Henri Cartier Bresson
  • deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    #1 for me
    I like the boldness of the B&W too.. great abstract look to it .. and to the original color version...

Picture it in a gallery with an art critic standing in front of a 8 ft X 10 ft version of it..

Great shot Angelo!

Denise
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    I think the graffiti is the best shot. I have really gotten into photographing street art.
    edited June 20, 2006
    wizard444 wrote:
    Personally I liked the gate, but I see that I was the only one so far. Modern lamina I think.ne_nau.gif

thanks wiz - i'm also surprised "gate" has been overlooked.
    edited June 20, 2006
    deeya wrote:
    I like the boldness of the B&W too.. great abstract look to it .. and to the original color version...

Picture it in a gallery with an art critic standing in front of a 8 ft X 10 ft version of it..

Great shot Angelo!

Denise

wow! 8'x10' gallery hanging? i like how you think... :D

thanks for looking
    edited June 20, 2006
    Sandy wrote:
    I think the graffiti is the best shot. I have really gotten into photographing street art.

thanks Sandy. easy pickins' in Hollywood! rolleyes1.gif
  • twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Angelo - I always enjoy your work and must say you have come up with some very creative ideas - I voted for the one I liked best ---- turns out that one has not gotten the most votes! Laughing.gif

Wonderful selections to choose from - best of luck!
    edited June 20, 2006
    twinbnj wrote:
    Angelo - I always enjoy your work and must say you have come up with some very creative ideas - I voted for the one I liked best ---- turns out that one has not gotten the most votes! Laughing.gif

Wonderful selections to choose from - best of luck!

Well, thank you. You're very kind. You must fess up and tell me which you voted for. :D
  • wizard444wizard444 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    I keep coming back here to see if anyone else voted for the gate. What's up people? I'm gettin a complex here!headscratch.gifuhoh
    "Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again."

Henri Cartier Bresson
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    I voted for grate and I'm proud of it. :D

Gate is just a little flat, although it is my second fav.
    The graffiti is a bit dull. PP in PS would make it better.
    wizard444 wrote:
    I keep coming back here to see if anyone else voted for the gate. What's up people? I'm gettin a complex here!headscratch.gifuhoh
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
    edited June 21, 2006
    wizard444 wrote:

stop stalking me umph.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited June 21, 2006
    adrian_k wrote:
    I voted for grate and I'm proud of it. :D

Gate is just a little flat, although it is my second fav.
    The graffiti is a bit dull. PP in PS would make it better.

thanks Adrian - I'll give them a bit more attention. thumb.gif
    edited June 22, 2006
    Well thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback, the comments, the votes and of course your assistance.

Since "Graffiti" received more votes than I expected I thought the shot warranted more attention. I couldn't find any ways to improve the shot with adjustments so I decided to go creative. What do you think of this?
  • WaveRunnerWaveRunner Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 22, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Well thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback, the comments, the votes and of course your assistance.

Since "Graffiti" received more votes than I expected I thought the shot warranted more attention. I couldn't find any ways to improve the shot with adjustments so I decided to go creative. What do you think of this?
    I'd try a more graffiti style to your masking to match the image you are presenting. Make your image pop by drawing the viewers attention to the layers in the garbage cans covered by layers of graffiti. Straight bars through the image are distracting and don't match the fllow of the image.

I'd try highlighting the garbage cans through layers of light and shadow.

But what do I know ;-)
    edited June 22, 2006
    WaveRunner wrote:
    I'd try a more graffiti style to your masking to match the image you are presenting. Make your image pop by drawing the viewers attention to the layers in the garbage cans covered by layers of graffiti. Straight bars through the image are distracting and don't match the fllow of the image.

I'd try highlighting the garbage cans through layers of light and shadow.

But what do I know ;-)

I don't know. But I do know that you've given me an idea! Thanks. :D
    edited June 23, 2006
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    OK, I just HAD to try this...

77205379-L.jpg

I think its a bit to "regular" for the effect of grafitti. Why not try a more grafitti style font.
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • WaveRunnerWaveRunner Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 23, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    OK, I just HAD to try this...

I like the concept. Now jazz up the font. Try and make the letters tall and fat so you show as much of your picture through them and maybe a darker color (aka not white) for the mask so that your eyes are drawn into the letters.

It is very interesting though.
  • trossnageltrossnagel Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    They are all fantastic...

But if I had to choose one - I absolutely LOVE #4

Bravo Angelo