What would be the risks of...

DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
edited June 17, 2006 in Cameras
using an old manual focus E series Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens on a D70 body ? I've seen it frowned upon here and there, but no one gave a specific answer. I'm not talking about frequent use, I'm talking about ocasional use with af off. I'm asking this because I'll be going to a ballet soon and I doubt the 18-70 can get the job done.

Comments

• KevinKevin Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    Davidoff wrote:
    using an old manual focus E series Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens on a D70 body ? I've seen it frowned upon here and there, but no one gave a specific answer. I'm not talking about frequent use, I'm talking about ocasional use with af off. I'm asking this because I'll be going to a ballet soon and I doubt the 18-70 can get the job done.

from another forum ...
    I just got a F/1.8 50mm E series lens the other day. I bought it really cheap off ebay. It will fit on the D50 but you get no metering and you have to use the aperature ring. It's been a challenge but it has been fun. It takes really sharp pictures. I bought one just to play with and hopefully soon will upgrade to the AF version. I would recommend just getting the AF version if you can.

seems good to go thumb.gif
    Kevin.
    the Photo Muse: http://the-photo-muse.blogspot.com
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    I do it all the time. Consistantly. Don't expect meter functions to work though, you'll have to shoot on manual. (assuming your old manual focus lens means as well no cpu functions)
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg