Dragonflies mating

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited June 20, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hello everyone -this is my first post. I've been shooting macro since February of this year and my favorite subject is dragonflies. On the way home from work I pass by a lake that's in the middle of an inactive volcano (Lago de'Averno) and I try to stop and shoot 3 times a week. The area is loaded with at least 3 different species of dragonflies and one species of Damselflies. I've experimented with a Canon 100mm macro + tubes + teleconverters, but this week I decided to drop back to the bare lens and see just how close I could get. Here is one of the shots from last Friday taken with a Canon 20D + 100mm macro lens. Minimal post processing (I like to do as much as possible with the camera) and no cropping:

75822306-M.jpg

I was less than 12 inches away from them :)

Here is a link to the image in my gallery: http://dalantech.smugmug.com/gallery/1467293/7/75822306
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2006
    I just noticed the "other cool shots forum" umph.gif

Moderator: Please move this post -and sorry for posting in the wrong forum rolleyes1.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2006
    wave.gif welcome to dgrin, excellent first post!
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2006
    Good shot and welcome to Dgrin
    I sometimes use the 70-200 with ext tubes

Thanks
    Fred
    edited June 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif welcome to dgrin, excellent first post!

Thanks Andy :):
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited June 18, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Good shot and welcome to Dgrin
    I sometimes use the 70-200 with ext tubes

Thanks
    Fred

I've been thinking about getting a lens in that range and then adding a diopter and / or a 1.4 teleconverter for shooting butterflies. I can get very close to dragons with time and a lot of patience, but filming butterflies in the wild is even more difficult. Here's one of my better shots:

73304166-M.jpg

Again: minimal post processing and no cropping -the only crop I allow myself to use is the viewfinder. I found this little guy in an abandoned lot not far from my apartment.
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited June 18, 2006
    Here is another dragon from Lago de'Averno -a Violet Darter. This species is currently mating, so it's getting even more skittish (one of my goals for this season is to film a mating pair, but so far no luck). With dragons the males always emerge from the water first and then wait for the females. Both the Black Tailed Skimmers (the mating dragons in the first post) and the Violet Darters like to perch on the ground, but lately they are moving into the reeds and grape vines around the lake.

75825447-M.jpg

Here's the link to the image in my gallery: http://dalantech.smugmug.com/gallery/1467293/7/75825447
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2006
    Excellent shots- Dragons are one of my favourite bugs.
    Brian V
    edited June 18, 2006
    Excellent shots- Dragons are one of my favourite bugs.
    Brian V

LordV is in the house! :):

Thanks for the props :)
    My SmugMug Gallery

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Hi there Dalantech
    Dalantech wrote:
    Hello everyone -this is my first post. I've been shooting macro since February of this year and my favorite subject is dragonflies. On the way home from work I pass by a lake that's in the middle of an inactive volcano (Lago de'Averno) and I try to stop and shoot 3 times a week. The area is loaded with at least 3 different species of dragonflies and one species of Damselflies. I've experimented with a Canon 100mm macro + tubes + teleconverters, but this week I decided to drop back to the bare lens and see just how close I could get. Here is one of the shots from last Friday taken with a Canon 20D + 100mm macro lens. Minimal post processing (I like to do as much as possible with the camera) and no cropping:

I was less than 12 inches away from them :)

Here is a link to the image in my gallery: http://dalantech.smugmug.com/gallery/1467293/7/75822306

Welcome to the forum......... quite a few folks here are into Macro, I really like it too, and Dragonflies are something I always long to find, however you just don't see them around where I live.

The 100mm Macro is a wonderful lens and I have that one myself, it is one I use most often, and I too have Extentions that I use as well.

Nice shot you got there of the dragonflies, don't you just love the heads on these little critters nod.gif ........those two you have there look a decent size too ......keep posting.... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    This is a Beauty Too
    Dalantech wrote:
    I've been thinking about getting a lens in that range and then adding a diopter and / or a 1.4 teleconverter for shooting butterflies. I can get very close to dragons with time and a lot of patience, but filming butterflies in the wild is even more difficult. Here's one of my better shots:
    Again: minimal post processing and no cropping -the only crop I allow myself to use is the viewfinder. I found this little guy in an abandoned lot not far from my apartment.

Very nicely done .......Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited June 20, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Welcome to the forum......... quite a few folks here are into Macro, I really like it too, and Dragonflies are something I always long to find, however you just don't see them around where I live.

The 100mm Macro is a wonderful lens and I have that one myself, it is one I use most often, and I too have Extentions that I use as well.

Nice shot you got there of the dragonflies, don't you just love the heads on these little critters nod.gif ........those two you have there look a decent size too ......keep posting.... Skippy (Australia)

Thanks! :)
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited June 20, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Very nicely done .......Skippy (Australia)

Thanks again :)
    My SmugMug Gallery