Slow uploading from a mac.. =(

rickyrickyrickyricky Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited June 19, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hey guru's...

I've been experiencing very slow uploading to smugmug these last couple of weeks... Where I used to upload at 100-200KB/s, I'm lucky to get an average of 10-20KB/s now...

Is anyone else experiencing this? I've tried both the Java client (which I never use) and the MAC OSX SmugMug uploader..

Thanks for any help,
Ricardo Meleschi

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Hi Ricky,

What browser, version of OSX, and type of Mac do you use, with the universal drag and drop?

What version of the standalone uploader to you have?
  • sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    I've also seen some slow upload times from the east coast: last week, I uploaded and got about an average of 35K/s from MIT. Today I was browsing some galleries and it was taking a long time to load images (FireFox 1.5, Linux).

From MIT (Boston via Level3 to wcg), there's one hop that gets 30-40% packet loss in NY (one of Level3's nodes) and I wind up with about a 3-6% loss at hera.smugmug.com; this is using mtr which does a traceroute with per-hop statistics collection. From NYU (New York via Yipes to wcg), I got about 3% packet loss just using ping. From Stanford (direct via cenic), I saw about 5% loss just now.

This suggests perhaps something near SmugMug is dropping packets and causing poor TCP performance.