Email photo processing and category rearranging

mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
edited June 24, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I just tested the email photo option.
http://mpmcleod.smugmug.com/gallery/1579771

Two problems.
1) SM automatically created a new gallery called Email under my Other category. Ok that is supposed to happen.

BUG: This new "Email" gallery was moved into the first position in the Other category with only text instead of an image.

BUG: Next the system moved the Other category into the second position on my home page. Why does the system insist on moving my categories around when I add a new gallery to one of them? Is there a way to stop this behavior?

2) I submitted very small images (around 40k each).
The Exif information is working and the captions uploaded correctly but...
Problem: They are still showing processing images.

Is there some trick to submitting via email that I may have missed?:scratch
-- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
http://www.michaelmcleod.com/

Comments

• mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:

Two problems.
    1) SM automatically created a new gallery called Email under my Other category. Ok that is supposed to happen.

BUG: This new "Email" gallery was moved into the first position in the Other category with only text instead of an image.

BUG: Next the system moved the Other category into the second position on my home page. Why does the system insist on moving my categories around when I add a new gallery to one of them? Is there a way to stop this behavior?

2) I submitted very small images (around 40k each).
    The Exif information is working and the captions uploaded correctly but...
    Problem: They are still showing processing images.

Is there some trick to submitting via email that I may have missed?headscratch.gif

#2 solved ...
    -- Mike

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:

Two problems.

How do you have your galleries and cateogories set to be arranged?
    edited June 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Photos within most galleries are set to be arranged by date.
    (Gallery sorting seems to be working fine)

Home page is set to display categories by position.

I don't have any settings on my categories. I didn't know we had a choice for categories and sub-categories. I arrange them by postion. When I add a new gallery I have to reposition the galleries. But for some categories the new gallery will be placed at the bottom and for other categories it is added at the top.

Is there a way to auto-sort galleries within a category?
    (like the photos within a gallery)
    Could you point me to those settings?
    -- Mike

edited June 19, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:

I don't have any settings on my categories. I didn't know we had a choice for categories and sub-categories. I arrange them by postion. When I add a new gallery I have to reposition the galleries. But for some categories the new gallery will be placed at the bottom and for other categories it is added at the top.

I'm jammed up now - if you'd like an answer tonight pls email this one to the help desk otherwise I can look at it tomorrow, thanks.
    edited June 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I'm jammed up now - if you'd like an answer tonight pls email this one to the help desk otherwise I can look at it tomorrow, thanks.

No worries. I fixed the problem for now but would like to know how to keep it from happening again.
    -- Mike

edited June 20, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    No worries. I fixed the problem for now but would like to know how to keep it from happening again.

bump. Any thoughts?
    -- Mike

edited June 20, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    bump. Any thoughts?
    Honestly, I"m really not understanding. Maybe it's because I don't organize the way you do ne_nau.gif if you could explain it again, I'll try to get what you are after.
    edited June 20, 2006
    I think the problem may be part of "categories rearranging themselves" bug. I was under the impression that this bug had been squashed.

I can't seem to reproduce the error manually using the create gallery links on the top of the pages. Perhaps this is something to pass along to JT and see if the sorting bug has been fixed in the "create email gallery" code.

Since I have the Email gallery in place I can't really test this.

---
    You asked:
    I replied:

From your question I was guessing there is a way to arrange categories much the same way we can arrange photos within a gallery. Is this correct? I had understood that all we could do with categories is manually arrange them (as per my example below)

----
    I have a category PhotosByDate (where all our photos are), subcategories YYYYphotos, galleries YYYY-MM-DD.

I create a gallery 2003-05-06 in the category "PhotosByDate" and subcategory "2003photos"

In order for it to appear in the proper position I then arrange the galleries by Title (the reason for my name format).

After doing this I would then view "PhotosByDate" category and have to manually arrange the years to be in the proper order as they would have been moved.

With a gallery we can set it to autoarrange by name or by date. Can we do a similar thing with categories?
    -- Mike

• {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Arranging galleries has been fixed. But I never looked at the Email Photos function. All that should happen is that a new gallery is created and put in spot 1 - everything else is shifted down one spot. For most users this is fine - but for users that arrange by position and don't sort it is bad. I can take a look and see if I can change it for a future push.
    mpmcleod wrote:
    I think the problem may be part of "categories rearranging themselves" bug. I was under the impression that this bug had been squashed.

I can't seem to reproduce the error manually using the create gallery links on the top of the pages. Perhaps this is something to pass along to JT and see if the sorting bug has been fixed in the "create email gallery" code.

Since I have the Email gallery in place I can't really test this.

---
    You asked:

I replied:

From your question I was guessing there is a way to arrange categories much the same way we can arrange photos within a gallery. Is this correct? I had understood that all we could do with categories is manually arrange them (as per my example below)

----
    I have a category PhotosByDate (where all our photos are), subcategories YYYYphotos, galleries YYYY-MM-DD.

I create a gallery 2003-05-06 in the category "PhotosByDate" and subcategory "2003photos"

In order for it to appear in the proper position I then arrange the galleries by Title (the reason for my name format).

After doing this I would then view "PhotosByDate" category and have to manually arrange the years to be in the proper order as they would have been moved.

With a gallery we can set it to autoarrange by name or by date. Can we do a similar thing with categories?
    edited June 20, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    Arranging galleries has been fixed. But I never looked at the Email Photos function. All that should happen is that a new gallery is created and put in spot 1 - everything else is shifted down one spot. For most users this is fine - but for users that arrange by position and don't sort it is bad. I can take a look and see if I can change it for a future push.

GREAT!

I can understand why Email is added to Other and placed in the #1 position in the Other category. I think that is a wise design decision.

But what happened to me is that on my home page the Other category was moved from its old spot into the #2 position. This is the problem for me and I don't think it should happen.

Why does adding a gallery in a category and perhaps arranging galleries within a category alter how that category is arranged on the home page?
    -- Mike

edited June 21, 2006
    Categories are displayed in the order of your albums inside of them. So if the first album is categorized Other - the Other will be the first category to show up. If the next album has Children, then Children will be the second category. Make sense?
    mpmcleod wrote:
    GREAT!

I can understand why Email is added to Other and placed in the #1 position in the Other category. I think that is a wise design decision.

But what happened to me is that on my home page the Other category was moved from its old spot into the #2 position. This is the problem for me and I don't think it should happen.

Why does adding a gallery in a category and perhaps arranging galleries within a category alter how that category is arranged on the home page?
    edited June 21, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    Categories are displayed in the order of your albums inside of them. So if the first album is categorized Other - the Other will be the first category to show up. If the next album has Children, then Children will be the second category. Make sense?

Maybe I am missing something. I understood that we could arrange the categories on our home page. I would expect that arrangement to remain static.

They should not change each time I add a new galleries to an existing category.

I have the categories arranged on the home page as I would like to see them.

1) John_Tella_Atchison
    2) Weddings
    3) PhotosByDate
    4) Other
    etc.

I want them to STAY in that position. I don't want them to move just because I add a gallery or a sub-category to one of these categories. What happened in this last case (and has in the past) is that a gallery was added to Other and suddenly my home page arrangement changed to:

1) John_Tella_Atchison
    2) Other
    3) Weddings
    4) PhotosByDate
    etc.

This is what I don't understand. Why did Other get moved?

Thanks for looking into this.
    -- Mike

edited June 21, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    This is what I don't understand. Why did Other get moved?

Thanks for looking into this.
    Other got moved, because in other, it has the freshest gallery.
    edited June 21, 2006
    Bingo - Other had the latest gallery so it got moved. My problem is why Other was not in the #1 spot. As I said in my previous post, I will investigate and see what can be done.
    Andy wrote:
    edited June 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    {JT} wrote:
    Bingo - Other had the latest gallery so it got moved. My problem is why Other was not in the #1 spot. As I said in my previous post, I will investigate and see what can be done.

Thanks Andy and JT. Apologies for being so dense on this. The light is finally going on.

Just to clarify once again.
    1) The user does not have any control on how categories are displayed on the home page.

2) Home page categories are simply sorted based on the most recent addition. (Or that is the design anyway)

3)Is this what everyone does to keep their categories in the same location on the home page? (add gallery/ photos, return to home page and put the categories back in place).

thanks again (really need to find a smilie with the light going on above my head and of course one showing the bulb burned out for times like this...)
    -- Mike

edited June 21, 2006
    {JT} wrote:

This is based on the number of the gallery?
    (e.g. the largest numbered gallery is "first")

If this is the case then it makes a bit more sense now. Not how I wanted or expected it to work but it still makes sense.

Except that it doesn't actually work this way all the time. I think it is the apparent randomness of the changes that have me confused. For example I just added a gallery to Family, uploaded a picture, then reloaded my home page both in FF (primary/ logged in) and IE (secondary/ logged out/ clear cache & passwords). In this case there was no change.

Does public/private or password have any affect on the ordering algorithm?

Is the reordering processed in batch or on-the-fly?
    -- Mike

edited June 23, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    This is based on the number of the gallery?
    (e.g. the largest numbered gallery is "first")

If this is the case then it makes a bit more sense now. Not how I wanted or expected it to work but it still makes sense.

Except that it doesn't actually work this way all the time. I think it is the apparent randomness of the changes that have me confused. For example I just added a gallery to Family, uploaded a picture, then reloaded my home page both in FF (primary/ logged in) and IE (secondary/ logged out/ clear cache & passwords). In this case there was no change.

Does public/private or password have any affect on the ordering algorithm?

Is the reordering processed in batch or on-the-fly?

bump.
    -- Mike

edited June 23, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    bump.
    No need to bump. JT will come back when he's got something to tell you.

wave.gif
    edited June 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    No need to bump. JT will come back when he's got something to tell you.

Ok. cool thanks!
    -- Mike

edited June 24, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    Ok. cool thanks!
    Just added some new photos and the category was moved to the #1 position. I don't like that but apparently it is working the way it is designed to work so I suppose that is something.
    -- Mike