chal 67 algae on blk water

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited June 21, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
76496991-L-1.jpg

(while gator sleeps)

I replaced my flower, well, I put this on the challenge, but I am concerned about the green color. It started out much more muted as the sun was shining hard on it. I didn't think "lamina" when I took it, and I rarely photograph gators, but there was something about the design element that I liked and I grabbed the shot yesterday. Today while I was working some birds up it hit me. This was a "skin" of lamina right across the water. (I knew I would not understand the word, that I would have to see it)

So, I am pretty sure this fits, but I am trying to make it look as good as possible. I cannot promise that I will use suggestions, but any comments and suggestions might be helpful. I am not a person who uses "green" often.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    It isn't lamina? And you all hate it?

Smile, ginger
  • Eric and HelenEric and Helen Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:

Smile, ginger
    I'm just confused as to what lamina is. I see some stuff and think , hey that't not lamina, but others see it as lamina. I do think it's a nice shot but I also thought your flower was a nice shot as well. I hope you didn't get too close to that gator!! We don't want to hear about a photographer eating gator running around.
    edited June 19, 2006
    I'm just confused as to what lamina is. I see some stuff and think , hey that't not lamina, but others see it as lamina. I do think it's a nice shot but I also thought your flower was a nice shot as well. I hope you didn't get too close to that gator!! We don't want to hear about a photographer eating gator running around.

I am super confused about what lamina is! Now I know this algae, being a thin sheet like substance on top of the water is lamina: maybe not the best, nor the most attractive, but in general I am confused, too.

And the write up said that flowers were lamina, but I cannot find one dictionary that says that. The closest that a dictionary comes on a flower is something about the green part before you get to the flower. Mine had that, too, but it certainly was not a large feature.

I almost wrote a question as to what lamina really is, but then again, no one probably cares that much...........however, for those struggling it would probably help.

The nicest photo, no matter the subject will probably win, and I have seen lots of those.

But I am also like you, people say "Oh that is great lamina" and I think "HUH?"

ginger
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am super confused about what lamina is!

lam·i·na:
    1. A thin plate, sheet, or layer.
    2. Botany. The expanded area of a leaf or petal; a blade.
    3. A thin layer of bone, membrane, or other tissue.
    4. Zoology. A thin scalelike or platelike structure, as one of the thin layers of sensitive vascular tissue in the hoof of a horse.
    5. Geology. A narrow bed of rock.
    This help?ne_nau.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Ginger,

I think the subject works for the challenge but I find the lighting to be a bit too harsh. I'm imagining this scene early in the morning with a mist rolling over the water and a dark rich and saturated green lamina.

Erich
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    ne_nau.gif I actually liked your flower shot a little better.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited June 20, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:

Smile, ginger
    I like it quit a bit, but I think it could be improved by cropping out some of the foregrond. I wouldn't worry too much about the definition of lamina. It's in the ballpark and after that, as you said, the best shot wins. That said, I think I still prefer your flower shot, which was wonderful.

Regards,
    edited June 20, 2006
    Thanks all. I did crop it. I like the flower shot, too, a lot. But this one amuses me. As to the definition: I had already seen that one and many more, but thanks. Here are both photos for comparison.

76648907-L.jpg

75381135-L.jpg

upacreekphotography by ginger
  • Eric and HelenEric and Helen Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Ginger they're both great shots, but I can see why the gator shot caught your eye. I like it much better after you cropped it. I guess I'm saying, anyone can snap a flower, not everyone can snap a gator. I think I'd go with the cropped gator because it's a much cooler shot. Great shots.
  • wizard444wizard444 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    Gators are definitely cool!:): With that said, and I hate to confuse you any further but I thought you were using the gator to show lamina. The protective plates on that critter seem to be lamina to me.ne_nau.gif

I prefer the alligator to the flower.thumb.gif
    "Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again."

Henri Cartier Bresson
  • retroretro Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2006
    wizard444 wrote:
    I prefer the alligator to the flower.thumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif
    it's a really nice image thumb.gif