Options

Watch Factory

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 10, 2004 in Landscapes
11073258-L.jpg

The Waltham Watch Company pioneered assembly line watch manufacturing. It founded in 1850 and the factory was built starting in 1853 and grew over the years. In the late 19th century the Waltham watches were the most accurate in the world. The company went out of business in 1957, but the factory is still there. There are no vacancies; my company investigated renting space there this year.

I've tried to get a good shot of it for a few years, but this is my best effort to date.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2004
    I like it a lot Rutt.

It looks old and mysterious.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Nice shot!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited November 9, 2004
    That factory begs to be shot at night.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    I like it.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    That factory begs to be shot at night.

Ian
    I did this last spring:

3659604-L.jpg

This was shot from the other side and heavily post processed to try to capture the feeling of Rene Magritte's Empire of Light II:

m-04-15s.jpg

But shooting at night, perhaps with a full moon, is a good idea. I think I will try it.

As a subject, the factory is a little frustrating. It is so huge and there really is no no angle to vantage to shoot from where even 20mm (35 equivalent) can get it all. Shooting across the river has, well the river, which is nice. But the other side of the factory is more architecturally interesting. But the street is ugly and there are these phone and power wires.

I might try a panorama. I do love the subject.

Maybe what I really need is a helicopter...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DVDRDVDR Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    11073258-L.jpg

The Waltham Watch Company pioneered assembly line watch manufacturing. It founded in 1850 and the factory was built starting in 1853 and grew over the years. In the late 19th century the Waltham watches were the most accurate in the world. The company went out of business in 1957, but the factory is still there. There are no vacancies; my company investigated renting space there this year.

I've tried to get a good shot of it for a few years, but this is my best effort to date.
    I'm a sucker for reflections...and this is a good one. I might have cropped a bit of the left...but the tree is hard to deal with. Great shot!:D
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Very nice, Rutt
    Beautiful reflection. And it would look good shot just like this at night. With lights on in the windows and a moon, the reflection would be terrific. Good project for you, but this is very nice. I love the reflection. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2004
    Just because I know you love monochrome conversions....

and because I think it increases the creapy feel.....
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 9, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:

This really is creepy. 1drink.gif

But like John, I am not really sure I like this better in B&W, I think the color in the water is part of the image.
    I can't tell what time of day it was shot by looking at it - maybe late afternoon from the light on the building to the left? I might try shooting even later in the day and use a bit of a warming filter and see if that might inject just a little more warmth in the colors of the building. I like the composition and the reflection - I might tighten the crop just slightly and increase the warmth of the bricks in some manner.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    This really is creepy. 1drink.gif

But like John, I am not really sure I like this better in B&W, I think the color in the water is part of the image.
    I can't tell what time of day it was shot by looking at it - maybe late afternoon from the light on the building to the left? I might try shooting even later in the day and use a bit of a warming filter and see if that might inject just a little more warmth in the colors of the building. I like the composition and the reflection - I might tighten the crop just slightly and increase the warmth of the bricks in some manner.
    It was shot at the last possible moment without a tripod. 10 or 20 minutes earlier might have gotten some more pink in the sky.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    rutt - clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

nice work
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited November 10, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:

Makes the building look abandoned or like the set of a Batman movie...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    This shot is brilliant. Your use of framing is superb and I love everything about the image. Excellent-o! thumb.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited November 10, 2004
    Thanks, everyone. It was very satisfying to get this shot. I've been trying to find a good angle, time of day, &etc for the watch factory for quite some time. This was shot from the Mt. Feake cemetary across the river. I've tried this before and the shots just didn't have it. On Monday evening, I tried every possible angle and either there was folliage in the way or the angle was boring or something. Finally, as the light was failing, I climbed down to the river bank, got my shoes muddy, and got this shot. Here is my proof sheet from Monday evening. You can also see the original and the edit of this shot.

Now I'd like to figure out how to shoot the other (street facing) side of the factory. That's a challenge, but just this morning I noticed a watch tower that might have a good view. I wonder if I can get up there...
    If not now, when?